IGNORED

Working on my slice, what should i do?

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took a lesson to fix my slice with the driver and the pro taught me four things to help me and when I get all four of them right, I hit it straight, just no far. The timing of my swing is just all discombobulated and I can feel that I am throwing away clubhead speed in the swing. I am also now swinging at about 80%, or I miss the ball half the time completely. I think the 80% part is a good thing, which I intend to keep.

So my question is should I just groove the new swing path by practicing a few weeks on the range and not even worry about distance yet, or should I work on the rest of my swing and try to groove that swing in with more improvements right away?To be honest, four things is about all I can think about at a time outside of taking my time at address and getting the details right there.

I been having problems slicing my long irons at the moment. One of my problems is opening my hips to much and playing the ball off my rear hip If I play the ball off my zipper with the ball tee up slightly I can hit a nice high fade Sometimes I get into this funk when I m playing the ball off the ground off level ground and need to hit the ball high I compensate by hitting the ball between my zipper and right hip I like a slightly uphill lie if I can so I can the ball up more over my front hip. Downhill lies are a problem for me

The objective was fixing a slice.  Therefore, I'd suggest working on "grooving" the swing and incorporating the things your pro showed you.  Once you're hitting the ball straight(ish) and comfortably you can work on speeding up the swing if you still need to.  You may find that more distance comes with incorporating those other changes and getting comfortable with your new swing.  Or, you may find that the benefits of balls landing in the short grass outweigh those of being closer to the green but in deep rough/woods.

For what it's worth, if you can actually focus on four swing changes at once you have my deep admiration, I can barely think about one at a time...

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Quote:
So my question is should I just groove the new swing path by practicing a few weeks on the range and not even worry about distance yet, or should I work on the rest of my swing and try to groove that swing in with more improvements right away?

Your time spent on the range should be spent working on these changes, one at a time, in isolation.  For example, if you are working on an inside path, place a tee just outside the "real" tee and focus on not hitting it, or any of the other great drills on this site.

What you should not do is go to the range and bang a bucket of full swings trying to do all four things at once.

Basically, what you are asking is "should I trust these improvements even though I can't do them at full speed".  The answer from anyone here is "I have no idea, you didn't tell us what the improvements are, but chances are you can't make any change at full speed."

In practice, isolate the changes with drills and slow swings.  On the course, go through your routine and make the best swing you can at that time.

"Choosing" whether to work on getting better at a slower speed on the range or swinging faster for the course is silly.  Its not a "choice".  You work on getting a better swing at a slower speed on the range and you play golf on the course.  On the range, slow it down, isolate the parts, do drills.  On the course, pick ONE simple swing thought, go through your routine, and play golf to your target.  Its not a choice.

All IMO, of course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, the four things were

On the backswing, pretend you are emptying a bucket.

Follow through.

Stronger grip

More upright posture addressing the ball.

The posture and grip thing is before the swing, so they are not as hard. but I do have to think about them at address or I will setup wrong.

The backswing and follow through are sort of one thought, in my mind anyway.

If I try to change on more thing, like managing the lag, or shifting my weight, or swinging harder, or anything like that, something bad happens almost every time.

I think that probably the best advice I can take from above is to focus on the one thing  that seems to make the biggest difference, which is the "empty the bucket of water" on the backswing thing and keep doing it until it feels natural, which it does not at this time, and trust it that even if I am still hitting slices while doing that, I know that I have it in my power to hit it straight and well if I get the follow through right.  Posture Grip and Alignment should be something I think about every time I step up to the ball, no matter what and these are separate from swing thoughts.

Understand that you cant manage lag though. I say this from the perspective of the club leaving its position via centripetal force. All you can do is empty your bucket into water thats up to your waist, and then swing such that the hand and butt end of the club enter said water first. Dont swing down the path, thats the ball path or target line and is not for you. Just to the right, AND THE CLUB WILL FIND THAT PATH at the full extension and richochet the ball down the path at full power.
  • Upvote 1

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

]

For what it's worth, if you can actually focus on four swing changes at once you have my deep admiration, I can barely think about one at a time...

A little tough love I took to the range, and thought about one thing, the emptying bucket thing, then hit it. Just one thing, and it was probably my most productive range session ever. Thanks

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!