• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookmaster

hitting driver left

35 posts in this topic

I have been struggling with hitting the ball left on my drives. I like to hit a draw with my driver but lately I'm hitting more of a hook than a draw. My swing feels good. I'm getting a lot of power. Im just not hitting the ball like I want.

I know that I have an in to out swing path. Plus a somewhat closed club face but it may be more closed than I think. Does anyone have any ideas?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I was in the same shape and a lesson determined I had too much of a good thing. Too much inside out. Also if I over swing my hands would get out in front making it worse. The feel of fixing that for me is to bring the club back slowly to the outside and then making sure it feels like my hands are away from my body on the follow through. If i do that with lots of lag good things happen.

Awards and Achievements

I was in the same shape and a lesson determined I had too much of a good thing. Too much inside out. Also if I over swing my hands would get out in front making it worse. The feel of fixing that for me is to bring the club back slowly to the outside and then making sure it feels like my hands are away from my body on the follow through. If i do that with lots of lag good things happen.

I agree.....when I catch myself pulling the driver left, I slow down the take away and it seems to straighten out.

I like the idea of a slower take away but holding the lag more gives me the high hands feeling. Then I hit the dreaded high right shot that goes no where.

Holding lag to me is pointing the butt of the club to the target.

Awards and Achievements

What ball flight do you get?

Check your shoulder alignment at setup. I have found that I draw the ball if I setup with a slightly closed left shoulder at address. Close it too much and i will hook. Open it too much and it's a fade or slice. Hope this helps.

As a high capper just learning the game, so take this for what it is worth,  I have run into this issue. For me it has to do with some magical combination of strength of grip and clubface direction at address. I haven't worked it out completely. Too strong a grip and the club face around square, and I hit it left, if I compensate by opening the club face at address, and the grip isn't strong enough, it is going to go right.If the club face is a little bit hooded at address, with a strong grip, and I am going to hit a hook. I just don't know how to accurately set my strength of grip to hit accurately, but I think the answer to not hitting left or right is in that aspect of the grip for me, anyway

I do tend to set up slightly closed to my target line. Working on my set up though. Hit it great today . Hoping to follow it up tomorrow.

I have been struggling with hitting the ball left on my drives. I like to hit a draw with my driver but lately I'm hitting more of a hook than a draw. My swing feels good. I'm getting a lot of power. Im just not hitting the ball like I want.

I know that I have an in to out swing path. Plus a somewhat closed club face but it may be more closed than I think. Does anyone have any ideas?

Recommend posting a swing here

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the path. So if the ball is starting left, the face is left at impact. If it stays pretty straight it means the path and face match up, if it draws more, means the path is further to the right of the face.

You could also just be hitting it on the toe, which can create some hooks due to gear effect.

Awards and Achievements

hi, can you try weakening your right hand (assuming you are a right handed golfer) as in rotating your right hand counterclockwise? I used to hit a lot of pulls with a relatively low ball flight and during one of my weekly games, I adjusted my right hand and I am now getting a higher ball flight alongside with no dreaded pulls. You need to experiment with the amount of weakening to find the optimum results. I believe weakening the right hand will pretend shutting the clubface.

I am just sharing what works for me which may or may not work for you. Good luck!

This is a great thread on how to grip the club you should check out.  It got me to understand finally why I was hitting it right constantly. The good stuff is mostly at the beginning.

For me, it is the lack of weight shift on the downswing that causes hooks.

If you don't shift your weight, your center of rotation is well behind the ball thus causing shut club face--hence the hook.

If you shift your weight properly, your center of rotation should be where the ball is causing a more square club face contact.

But that's just from my experience.  Since your swing is not the same as mine, it could be a totally different cause.

I had a couple driver duck hooks yesterday that ruined my round.  I'm sure your grip is fine, or you'd be hooking it all the time.

My guess is that you tee the ball up really high.  When I do that, I tend to hang back and hit TOO much up at it.  It's like a reflex on the downswing for me.  Tee it up so the top of the ball lines up with the top of the ball at the range.  See if it helps.  The lower you tee it up, the more it should promote a little fade.

Good luck.  Hooks are the worst.

I actually think I'm down on the ball a bit to much. I tend to have a lower launch and higher spin with my driver. 11' launch angle and 3200 spin. I'm gonna take a few of these tip to the range at lunch and see how it goes. When I learn how to post my swing I will definitely do that. Can anyone help?

I actually think I'm down on the ball a bit to much. I tend to have a lower launch and higher spin with my driver. 11' launch angle and 3200 spin.

I'm gonna take a few of these tip to the range at lunch and see how it goes.

When I learn how to post my swing I will definitely do that. Can anyone help?

Help with posting a video? Just click this icon (above) and copy and paste the youtube url.

Also check this out

Awards and Achievements

I actually think I'm down on the ball a bit to much. I tend to have a lower launch and higher spin with my driver. 11' launch angle and 3200 spin.

I'm gonna take a few of these tip to the range at lunch and see how it goes.

When I learn how to post my swing I will definitely do that. Can anyone help?

Good luck! Let me know what else you have discovered to launch the ball higher.

Hit my driver today and had to change my grip back to a more through the palm grip. Without it I can't get my wrist flat at the top. I just can't hit the ball square at all. I also started putting a dry erase marker on my driver to see where I'm making impact on the club face. I now know that I'm launching it low because I'm hitting the ball low on the club face. It was very close to the center just really low.