IGNORED

Precept EV Extra Spin

Note: This thread is 3557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've hit some Titleist NXT Tour S that seemed to have a similar feel. I think the Titleist would be a better ball too. I know quite a few better golfers who like that ball. I like the feel with the putter. but I prefer a tour ball.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 weeks later...

Because golf balls have changed so much in the 20 years since the original EV Extra Spin came out, it's going to be tough to find a current ball that has the same feel/performance I think.  There is a version of the EV Extra Spin that is currently available, but it doesn't have the same Extra Velocity core that the original version did in the mid '90's. There used to be an EV Extra Distance ball in the 90's which is probably what the new EV Spin is more similar to.

I would say the closest ball that is currently made is the Bridgestone e5.  This is also a high spinning 2-piece ball, but it has a urethane cover instead of a Surlyn like the EV had.  The core is different too, but it's designed to do the same thing pretty much as the EV Extra Spin.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because golf balls have changed so much in the 20 years since the original EV Extra Spin came out, it's going to be tough to find a current ball that has the same feel/performance I think.  There is a version of the EV Extra Spin that is currently available, but it doesn't have the same Extra Velocity core that the original version did in the mid '90's. There used to be an EV Extra Distance ball in the 90's which is probably what the new EV Spin is more similar to.

I would say the closest ball that is currently made is the Bridgestone e5.  This is also a high spinning 2-piece ball, but it has a urethane cover instead of a Surlyn like the EV had.  The core is different too, but it's designed to do the same thing pretty much as the EV Extra Spin.

Just a note to put on the brakes. .. please, and always demo.

Have played most renditions of the e5 ... not a soft feel ball. Not only my opinion, but if you look around, people described the e5 as "hard." BUT I have not tried the latest edition -- maybe the hard was softened.

As mentioned above ... Titleist NXT Tour S, Callaway has a Super Soft?, and most premium balls have a soft feel. I'm sure Bridgestone, Srixon, TM, etc. all have one of more soft feel bals.

But remember, soft feel does not equate to spin around the greens. If you want spin on delicate half, quarter shots, the premiums are where you will find it...  there are mid priced urethane balls like the TM Project (a) (feels soft) but you will not receive the same amount of partial wedge spin performance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just a note to put on the brakes. .. please, and always demo.

Have played most renditions of the e5 ... not a soft feel ball. Not only my opinion, but if you look around, people described the e5 as "hard." BUT I have not tried the latest edition -- maybe the hard was softened.

As mentioned above ... Titleist NXT Tour S, Callaway has a Super Soft?, and most premium balls have a soft feel. I'm sure Bridgestone, Srixon, TM, etc. all have one of more soft feel bals.

But remember, soft feel does not equate to spin around the greens. If you want spin on delicate half, quarter shots, the premiums are where you will find it...  there are mid priced urethane balls like the TM Project (a) (feels soft) but you will not receive the same amount of partial wedge spin performance.

I think we're looking at it from two different angles Desmond.  I was looking at it as "what current ball will perform/feel closest to the old EV Extra Spin" and you seem to be coming at it from "what golf balls on the market have a soft feel".  Some of the models you mentioned are indeed soft, but they won't perform like the EV.  Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was asking.  I do agree with you that soft feel doesn't mean high spin.

It is interesting though how different player's perceptions can be and how truly subjective feel is.  Take the e5 for example.  I do not consider it to be a hard ball at all.  It's certainly not as soft as the Supersoft or any of the really low compression balls, but at a 70 compression I wouldn't call it a firm ball either. I have limited experience with the Project a, but at 86 compression it's actually firmer than the e5.  Maybe it's the sound of the e5 that gives the impression to some that it's firmer?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I think we're looking at it from two different angles Desmond.  I was looking at it as "what current ball will perform/feel closest to the old EV Extra Spin" and you seem to be coming at it from "what golf balls on the market have a soft feel".  Some of the models you mentioned are indeed soft, but they won't perform like the EV.  Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was asking.  I do agree with you that soft feel doesn't mean high spin.

It is interesting though how different player's perceptions can be and how truly subjective feel is.  Take the e5 for example.  I do not consider it to be a hard ball at all.  It's certainly not as soft as the Supersoft or any of the really low compression balls, but at a 70 compression I wouldn't call it a firm ball either. I have limited experience with the Project a, but at 86 compression it's actually firmer than the e5.  Maybe it's the sound of the e5 that gives the impression to some that it's firmer?

Oh, I don't look at compression. Golf ball technology seems fairly complex, so I've stopped thinking at it in complex terms -- sort of like the Dustin Johnson school of thinking Golf -- Don't think.

I've tended to overthink in the past.  I play the ball and see how it feels off the ball (prefer soft but not mushy), and whether it does what I want it to do --- carry far, launches well for me, plays well in wind, hits and stops on irons, hits and stops on partial wedges. I also like a little sound off the ball.

I played the EV Extra Spin in the mid-late 90's? That is such an ancient era that I don't recall what that ball did. So I just had to guess as to what the OP might want now. And I think my post reflects that as it is all over the place.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Well guys, I do thank you for the help. Didn't mean to start an argument. Yes it was back in the 90 and early 2000's when I was getting the ev's an d I got them cause I was tired of balls feeling like hitting rocks. The ev's would just plain stop on the greens when I hit them right but I have never tried to make them back up. And they did. Not as much distance as I would have liked but enough I could live with them. I guess I just really need to buy a few sleeves and try them.

I'm not sure I even have the capability to feel the "compression" of different golf balls. I feel the outer part (maybe just the cover) but other than that most balls feel pretty much the same to me. I've heard other people say "I don't like Pro V1s because they feel like rocks." When I hear something like that it's obvious that they are feeling something different than I am. That's not to say that I don't notice a difference in performance of different balls, because I do, but I can't judge the compression by feel.

Note: This thread is 3557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!