IGNORED

Can We Talk Hybrids Real Quick

Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I once owned an RBZ Stage 2 -- would avoid it -- shaft is too long, sole is not rounded, and heel to toe is too long.

Have always read positive reviews about Cobra Hybrids.

___

Still, hybrids seem like a very personal choice -- like fairways. Once you find one you like, you stick with it. It took me about 7 years to find a brand I like.

I find the Bobby Jones Hybrids easy to hit and a high quality club -- it is a company who markets to the 40+ crowd. It is a well balanced club with a mini-fairway look and cup face technology -- solid yet lively and easy to launch, likes to go straight. Just because I've played all of Jesse Ortiz hybrids for 8 years doesn't mean everyone will like them. All of his designs are evolutionary so they are consistent from new introductions to another (unlike most OEMs).  If interested, see www.bobbyjones.com. I've seen several reviews of his new Black lineup and they are all positive. I play his new lineup and it is a WOW for me.

Thanks. I noticed there are a ton of the RBZ stage 2's for sale on e-bay, maybe the reason you cited is why.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have G25 in 20 & 23.they will out to a 3 & 4 iron. I certainly recommend them. I would also suggest getting fitted. Also give the Calloway x2 hot a shot.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

I carry 3 - 4 - 5 Ping G15 hybrids and love them. I use the 20 degree 3 hybrid more often that my HL 3 wood.

Thanks

I carry 3 - 4 - 5 Ping G15 hybrids and love them. I use the 20 degree 3 hybrid more often that my HL 3 wood.

I have G25 in 20 & 23.they will out to a 3 & 4 iron. I certainly recommend them. I would also suggest getting fitted. Also give the Calloway x2 hot a shot.

I got a demo T.E. 4 H to demo today, so I'll try that first. For sure I'll get fit, it's free with any club purchase. I'll try the Ping clubs too.

I find the Bobby Jones Hybrids easy to hit and a high quality club -- it is a company who markets to the 40+ crowd. It is a well balanced club with a mini-fairway look and cup face technology -- solid yet lively and easy to launch, likes to go straight. Just because I've played all of Jesse Ortiz hybrids for 8 years doesn't mean everyone will like them. All of his designs are evolutionary so they are consistent from new introductions to another (unlike most OEMs).  If interested, see www.bobbyjones.com. I've seen several reviews of his new Black lineup and they are all positive. I play his new lineup and it is a WOW for me.

I looked them up online, they look nice but didn't see any lefty options?  I really like the XHot2 and Cobra BioCell hybrids.

Joe Paradiso

I looked them up online, they look nice but didn't see any lefty options?  I really like the XHot2 and Cobra BioCell hybrids.

You won't be disappointed with the x2 hot. I had a RBZ and gave it to one of my buddies because I didn't like it. The best part about the x2 hot is how forgiving it is on miss hits. It also feels very good when you flush it. I liked my hybrids so much I ended up getting the X2 Hot 4w ha ha.

I like hybrids with a straighter leading edge - most seem to have a very curved bottom edge.   I've had so many hybrids - cant say I have a definite preference for any of them - I just don't see them being much easier to hit than long irons - at least modern cavity backed SGI long irons.    For hybrids, the best I've found to date are the Nickent 4DX & Wilson Staff FYbrid hybrids - each has the flatter leading edge .... the Fybrid bridge club (19.5° is a beast)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Ping is a very lefty-friendly company, if you like their hybrids. I can vouch at least for the G10 hybrids in that I love mine. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the shape of the head on the G15 and G20 hybrids, but I like the G25 shape as well as my G10's. The face on them is slightly rounded, if you dislike that.

Ping is a very lefty-friendly company, if you like their hybrids. I can vouch at least for the G10 hybrids in that I love mine. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the shape of the head on the G15 and G20 hybrids, but I like the G25 shape as well as my G10's. The face on them is slightly rounded, if you dislike that.

I've never liked the head shape either which has caused me to not try them.  Maybe I should give them a try next time.

Joe Paradiso

The stage 2 is weighted for a longer shaft. I dont know how many others are, but its a fruitful area for improvement. I just got a few low torque aldila proto hybrid shafts in specifically for the purpose of having a longer hybrid shaft. Stage 2 heads will be among the choices I am about to review.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I've never liked the head shape either which has caused me to not try them.  Maybe I should give them a try next time.

The g15 and g20's were the most ugly hybrids I have ever seen. It was like swinging a pear on a stick when I demoed them.

The g15 and g20's were the most ugly hybrids I have ever seen. It was like swinging a pear on a stick when I demoed them.

I almost considered the g20, I hear great things about them... but I couldn't get over the ugliness and huge offset! How could you concentrate on a ball while holding such an ugly stick!

Gaz Lee

I have no taste evidently. At least not much. I had to take a yellow v2 off a green razr fit extreme head once because it was offensive looking, but I probably would have left it if I could have hit it better than my other drivers.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I have no taste evidently. At least not much. I had to take a yellow v2 off a green razr fit extreme head once because it was offensive looking, but I probably would have left it if I could have hit it better than my other drivers.

While the G15 and G20's were ugly, I would have used them if they gave me a significant performance benefit. They did not, therefore I didn't use them. Part of the thing about aesthetics is that it can affect performance from the mental side of things. Unless you have tested a club to have a definite performance benefit, you're going to look down at the club and say, "This thing is ugly on a stick, how can it hit the ball well?".

Anybody have good results with the Nike Victory Red hybrids?  I like the fact that they have a pretty broad range of loft adjustment.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Anybody have good results with the Nike Victory Red hybrids?  I like the fact that they have a pretty broad range of loft adjustment.

When I got my hybrids. It was between the vr and the X2 Hot. I did like the vr but the X2 Hot just felt better and I got more yardage out of the same loft. I also liked the look of the Callaway a little better (the nike has more of a fairway wood look). I don't think you would be disappointed with the Nike. I hit 7 or 8 hybrids and to me the vr and X2 Hot were far and away the best.

I have played the G25's for about a year what I found was they are very light, very balanced, but for me a bit more difficult to get a good launch. They seem to be more of a line drive when not struck just right, there are others on this site that seem to have the issue with them. I wish I had tried others out there and not wait so long to switch them out, again JMO.

X2 Hots seem very easy to hit and long, one thing about them they have a sound that some like, others don't. I have had only played a few rounds using them but really liked how easy they were to hit even on miss-struck shots.

Cobra Bio Cell both myself and my son have played them for about 5 rounds, easy to hit, easy to launch nice sound, want to go straight  but I have my doubts they are as long as the X2 Hots. I say this due to not having hit them side by side, but the few rounds I did play X2 Hots they seemed longer then the Bio Cells?

I think it really come down to what you like, how they feel, the sound they make and how they look at address.

All this is MO of course and would suggest you go try every brand, narrow it down to a few and go from there. I have also seen a ton of all the brands in the used/demo section at Rodger Dunn in the Santa Anna store so if you are planning to buy used check that store out a lot of good deals right now.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

So, I hit the T.E. XCG6 4H 22 degrees last night, and I'm going to hit it some more tonight. One thing I can say is this club feels good, although I didn't hit very well, from what I could tell, it flew about 180-185 yds. that's with a Tour AD 50 54grm  reg flex shaft.

I'm going to demo a few others before I make a choice. I do know 1 thing for sure, my 3 and 4 irons are Gone as soon as I get the Hybrids..

Again, thanks to all for the great info re: hybrids.

Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!