IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always carry some form of gun when I'm on the golf course. Me and my father had an incident a couple years back that led to this decision. We were playing a local course and were behind two guys, one of whom was very intoxicated. We pulled up on the 18th tee and these guys were nowhere in sight. We figured they packed it in, but waited a couple minutes just in case. After not seeing them, we teed off. As we get to our balls, these guys come tearing up in their cart right up to us from the adjacent fairway. One of them jumps out and started screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs. He went back to his bag, grabbed a club, and started to head towards us. Luckily his buddy stopped him and they went away but I seriously thought I might have to cave this guy's head in with my 8-iron. When I got my concealed handgun license i started carrying everywhere I was legally able. That includes golf courses. I normally pocket-carry a Beretta Jetfire .25 Auto and stick my Sig in my bag. I never let that bag out of my sight BTW. Anyone else carry on the course?

Are you serious? I'll have room for another club in my bag soon, but it won't be a gun, I guess me coming from the uk means we live in different worlds! Carrying a gun anywhere seems absurd to me, but especially on a golf course! Hey , I'm not judging, I can imagine this might even be common practise in the US?

Gaz Lee

100% serious. Its become a fairly common practice especially in more conservative states. In Texas, 10% of the population, age 21 or older, has a concealed handgun license. A friend of mine not too long ago was checking his mail at his apartment when he witnessed a burglary in progress. While on the phone with the police, one of the assailants began to approach him. He told him repeatedly to stop, but the guy didn't. My friend pulled his gun and the thief took off. Probably saved by buddy's ass.

I'm all for exercising your right to have a firearm on you if you feel you could potentially need it.  that being said, i just got my CC license in illinois and i don't think i'll be bringing mine to the course.  however, i've never run into the situation you have and that would probably change my mind!

For what it's worth, my dad has a weapon on him at ALL times, including the course.  although he is a retired state police officer and has a pretty jaded view of the world because of all he has seen.

Mike

In the Bag:

Nike VR_S Covert Driver

Nike VR_S Covert Hybrid 3

Nike  VR_S Covert 4i-AW

Titleist Vokey 60* Wedge

TaylorMade Ghost Manta Putter

:nike:   :titleist:   :tmade:   :oakley:   :bridgestone:    :srixon:

This will be one of those conversation were side A tries to convince side B they (sideA) are right, and side B tries to convince side A that they (side B) are right ... Nether side changes their point of view in the end ... I am all for the right to bear arms ... Lived 50 yrs of my life in Texas and I am 4 generation Texan ... So I get it ... But the day I feel I need to carry a gun on the golf course for my protection is the day I stop playing golf ... In addition, I do not want anyone to feel the need to protect me ... Honestly I like my odds knowing where one shooter is ... I don't need another shooter in the mix ... Like a golf ball, a bullet does not know its intended target ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't aware there was a debate lol. I don't carry to protect anyone but me just to be clear. Somehow active shooters always come up in the conversation, but honestly thats pretty low down on the list of why I carry. Unless i have the absolute drop on an AS or he's about to kill me, I'm not closing to engage. Just telling yall where I'm coming from. Not trying to get the debate going, just seeing how many people do what I do.

haha yeah no kidding bshalcomb! it took forever for them to pass the CC laws in our state.  we may have been the last one if i'm not mistaken?  another excuse for me to buy some more firearms, currently don't have any that are ideal for CC.

Do you conceal the weapon in your bag I'm guessing?

Mike

In the Bag:

Nike VR_S Covert Driver

Nike  VR_S Covert 4i-AW

Titleist Vokey 60* Wedge

I normally just stick my Beretta in my pocket. I've hit golf balls in stores while wearing my M&P; Shield and its too much of a distraction for me. The beretta rides like a cellphone. I'll stick my sig in my bag from time to time when i go play courses in Dallas. There's one where Lee Trevino used to play where several guys got robbed over on the back nine away from the clubhouse. Not all golf courses are in the nicest of areas. Heck, Dallas National is practically in the ghetto...

yeah that's totally understandable, i guess i've just not played at a course in a shady area yet.  i'm in an area with a fairly low crime rate and mainly planned on carrying while traveling.  although after reading your last post i think i'll definately carry when i play while on vacation or if i go to an a course thats in a not so nice area.

Mike

In the Bag:

Nike VR_S Covert Driver

Nike  VR_S Covert 4i-AW

Titleist Vokey 60* Wedge

When i got my license i started looking at different stories and some of them were pretty shocking. The grandmother that was beaten in front of her grandkids at Chuck E. Cheese's was the one that really hit me. Some sorry SOB robbed a shoe store not too long ago in a city close to mine and murdered the manager. The manager was my age, 23. When i was at Texas A&M;, there were several incidents around campus that no one ever talked about that were pretty surprising. You don't get to pick where something's going to happen. You only get to pick when you'll be ready.

I always carry some form of gun when I'm on the golf course. Me and my father had an incident a couple years back that led to this decision. We were playing a local course and were behind two guys, one of whom was very intoxicated. We pulled up on the 18th tee and these guys were nowhere in sight. We figured they packed it in, but waited a couple minutes just in case. After not seeing them, we teed off. As we get to our balls, these guys come tearing up in their cart right up to us from the adjacent fairway. One of them jumps out and started screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs. He went back to his bag, grabbed a club, and started to head towards us. Luckily his buddy stopped him and they went away but I seriously thought I might have to cave this guy's head in with my 8-iron. When I got my concealed handgun license i started carrying everywhere I was legally able. That includes golf courses. I normally pocket-carry a Beretta Jetfire .25 Auto and stick my Sig in my bag. I never let that bag out of my sight BTW. Anyone else carry on the course?

So you thought you might have to kill a drunk?

Now you're prepared.

You carry a gun on a frickin' golf course? That's freedom for you, is it?

Way to go :blink:

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If his buddy didnt physically restrain him as he came at me with a potentially deadly weapon, it would have been ugly. I've got a responsibility to go home at the end of the day and I'm going to do whatever is necessary to fulfill that responsibility.

If his buddy didnt physically restrain him as he came at me with a potentially deadly weapon, it would have been ugly. I've got a responsibility to go home at the end of the day and I'm going to do whatever is necessary to fulfill that responsibility.

You're paranoid :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Went to A&M;, Live in Dallas ... not a gun hobbyist  (yet), but when I go to Oklahoma to work for a client, it seems everyone carries a gun. We had guys carry guns into the workplace. Crazy if you ask me. In Dallas, we have a group carrying AR-15s into Chipotle, Wal-Mart, Target to show their rights. Well, what it  did was scare the be-jeezus out of the public.

I won't get into a gun discussion. Dallas National may be located in the south of Dallas, and the new Byron Nelson Course being designed by Crenshaw-Coors is also in the south of Dallas, but we're not talking public courses. Still, someone will eventually get the bright idea eventually to come after "upper crust" golfers ... although there is a public course in  Oak Cliff (south Dallas) and I haven't heard any news stories about violence.

Although the OP apparently does not drink on the course, golf, guns, and alcohol is not a good combo ... the odds are that the trifecta will combine to produce violence in Texas.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!