IGNORED

Will Tiger Surpass Jack's Major Total (2014 Edition)

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Tie or Surpass Jacks' total of 18 Major Victories?

• No
    • Yes

Eric, the way I see it we are still asking an injured and rapidly aging golfer to win 5 majors. Tiger Woods or not that is a lot to ask. And this assumes today's Tiger is the same golfer as the Championship form Tiger and I do not believe he is. My opinion is based around that belief.

• Administrator

Eric, the way I see it we are still asking an injured and rapidly aging golfer to win 5 majors. Tiger Woods or not that is a lot to ask. And this assumes today's Tiger is the same golfer as the Championship form Tiger and I do not believe he is. My opinion is based around that belief.

I don't know who Eric is, but I'll respond.

Duh.

But Tiger "owns the place" more than Rory does, and there's no denying that. Rory's highest finish there is a backdoor T8. My opinion is not even an opinion - it's just me stating some of the facts surrounding how they each play at Augusta National.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Erik, I'd edit my prior post if I could but I think the edit function is missing on that post.

Tiger's last win at The Masters is when? Not lately, so I don't agree with the idea that he "owns the place". If he truly owned it then his winning there would not be strictly so far in the past tense the way it is.

• Administrator
Erik, I'd edit my prior post if I could but I think the edit function is missing on that post.

You have nine minutes. Some users have 18 to 27.

Tiger's last win at The Masters is when?

Rory's last win at The Masters is when? Heck, Rory's last top-five finish at The Masters is when?

Tiger's last win at The Masters is when? Not lately, so I don't agree with the idea that he "owns the place". If he truly owned it then his winning there would not be strictly so far in the past tense the way it is.

:doh: That was a response to you saying this in the other thread:

That course [Augusta National] suits Rory and if he is in the right frame of mind and his swing is working he can win there.

Again, even in their last five appearances there , Tiger has placed higher on average (and Rory has MCed once) than Rory. If the course "suits" Rory, then the course "suits" Tiger even more.

For the record, I voted "no" in this poll a long time ago.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here is the thing for me, Erik. Tiger seems to be waning while Rory is ascending. Tiger won at Valhalla, but look who the bookmakers rate as the favorite to win the PGA. Not Tiger. Rory. Would you tell the bookmakers they are wrong?

Since the last time Tiger even led a round of a major Rory has led 15 rounds at majors, even 3 at Augusta. That type of stat, ;plus the fact he is ascending, gives me confidence he will win more majors. I have not seen Tiger Woods be the old Tiger Woods since 2008 at Torrey Pines. Throw in his aging body and the latest injury and I simply do not have confidence in him returning to that old Tiger.

• Administrator
Here is the thing for me, Erik. Tiger seems to be waning while Rory is ascending.

Again, I voted no in the poll.

I just don't like incorrect facts.

Would you tell the bookmakers they are wrong?

Bookmakers gamble too. They aren't just trying to get money "even" on all sides.

Since the last time Tiger even led a round of a major Rory has led 15 rounds at majors, even 3 at Augusta.

Let's check those.

2012 U.S. Open: Led after 0 rounds (MC).

2012 British: Led after 0 rounds.

2012 PGA: T2 after Round 1, T5 after Round 2, 1st after Round 3 (1), Champion (2)

2013 Masters: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2013 U.S. Open: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2013 British: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2013 PGA: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2014 Masters: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2014 U.S. Open: Led after 0 rounds (2)

2014 British: Led after all four rounds (6)

So your 15 is off by only about 60% - he led after six rounds, but four of those were in the British Open that just concluded.

Again, I voted "no" but I don't like bad facts. Get them straight. You can still have whatever opinion you want to have, but you don't get to have your own version of the facts.

Erik, OK, point taken. FWIW I was going back to The Masters where Rory led 3 rounds. I included the US Open at Congressional where he led 4 rounds. I gave him 4 instead of 2 at the PGA that he won, but was going on memory where I thought he went wire to wire. Then 4 more for the Open he just won. That is still 13 rounds led in majors over the past few years. True, Rory collapsed at Augusta that year, but he won the three others.

Tiger has the 1 round on a Friday that preceded a weekend collapse and zero wins in the past 5 years. And no need to point out that the 2009 PGA is technically within the past 5 years. I concede the fact already. For me, that doesn't change the dynamics or make me believe Tiger will ressurrect himself to the Tiger of old.

• Administrator
or make me believe Tiger will ressurrect himself to the Tiger of old.

I don't believe I ever spoke to that. :-) (If I did, it certainly would not be to say that Tiger will return to pre-2008 form.)

I vote No.

I discount Tiger's 5 wins from 2013 as well because he has since suffered a ruptured disc in the all too important lower back and those wins were not in any of the 4 majors. Winning in Akron and Winning a Major are two different things.

Those 5 wins included wins in the three most prestigious top-notch field stroke events other than the majors.  So you can discount them all you want but 99% of professional touring golfers would take the results for that season as their achievements for their whole careers.

Until we see Tiger play for  couple of years without any off the course issues or injury problem we cannot know how the rest of his career will go, IMO.

I agree, there is a ton more parity. And as far as working out, I don't believe weights or the navy seal training is key, stretching, yoga, light weight medicine ball type work out regiment is the key, I read somewhere he is the only player lifting big heavy weights....he'll find out one day, that it was not ideal.

if experience was assurance for a competitive win at Augusta, Freddy couples would have a couple more. it can't hurt, but a lot of these young guys no where to hit the ball on 13 with Sundays pin from watching it over and over on TV.

. I agree, a couple of those wins were on Florida courses., sorry I just don't take them real seriously, he won, I get that.

Lastly if he doesn't get his putter in order as well as driver, both are crucial. much like the other guys, he may very well be stuck at 14.

Lots of guys have experience playing the Masters.  I think the guy meant that he had a lot of experience WINNING at the Masters.

Tiger is an outlier, even compared to Phil Mickelson, Arnold Palmer, etc.

And, if we are really honest, even compared to Jack.  Whether that will be true for the rest of his career we do not know.  But it is true up to this point, IMO.

Here is the thing for me, Erik. Tiger seems to be waning while Rory is ascending. Tiger won at Valhalla, but look who the bookmakers rate as the favorite to win the PGA. Not Tiger. Rory. Would you tell the bookmakers they are wrong?

I'm guessing that someone broke confidence and told the bookies the big secret that he is coming off of back surgery and will have less than a dozen rounds under his belt when they get to Vahalla.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

No condescension in your post at all, Turtleback. None at all. Yawn.

Man, just respond to what he said.

This is the Internet, and whether it's good or bad, there's no tone of voice, so it's best to give the benefit of the doubt that he's just having a conversation. His background is in math, so the facts and numbers stand out a bit more.

You're likely reading condescension in where there is none.

No condescension in your post at all, Turtleback. None at all. Yawn.

No counter to anything I wrote, in your post at all, 9iron.  None at all.  Yawn.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!