IGNORED

62 degree wedge a bad idea?

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I made my decision for a 62 degree wedge (Cleveland 588 RTX) I was stuck between a 60 and a 62. But by doing research only few PGA Players have 62 degree. Did I make a serious mistake? Or would it be a good fit in bunkers and near the green. Please Help.

Yeah most pros highest lofted wedge is 59 or 60. Anything above that isn't really needed.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Correct! However, it's only 2* more than a 60* And some people open their 60* up, so with a 62* you prob won't have to! I have a 62 and I really like it! But you have to remind yourself what you intend to use it for!! Mines a low bounce, only to be used around the green, to flop over bunkers & hazards, or I can use it for a 50/60 yrd full shot into a protected green, but only when necessary! The low bounce is useless in bunkers! (For me) I would say, as with all lob wedges, you need to spend time with them, practise with them, find out what your capable of doing with them and then only do that! Some rounds I never need it, other rounds, it's got me on the green from some very trick positions! I like knowing it's their just incase! So my advice would be to see what the bounce can do for you and befriend it!
  • Like 1

Gaz Lee

Until about five months ago my highest loft wedge was a 58 and everything was fine.  I've since bought new irons and reconfigured my wedge mix to add a 60 and like it a lot, but I have to remind myself to hit it a bit harder because of the added loft.  Personally, I don't think I would want a 62, but that's just me.  You've got it, so get out there and practice with it!  You may come to love it, you may not, but you won't know until you give it enough practice time to make an informed decision.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Yeah most pros highest lofted wedge is 59 or 60. Anything above that isn't really needed.

Agree.

The higher lofted clubs are also more difficult to hit consistently.  I'm personally not a big fan of even 60* wedges for most amateurs not well down into single digits for just that reason.  Most will be a lot better off with no more than a 58* wedge.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Trouble with a super-lob is you would have to devote a lot of practice time with it to make it worthwhile. Then, how often would you use it?

Since you have it, play around with it and see what it does. If you decide not to carry it, you could keep it around so friends could try it, and see why they shouldn't buy one.

Relating to @David in FL 's comment, Golf Digest reported recently that about half of tour pros have 58* as their highest lofted wedge.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Well could bending it back to a 60 be an option?

Unfortunately you'd also lose 2* of bounce doing that as well.  Bounce is your friend.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Well could bending it back to a 60 be an option?

It "could" be an option, but the big question I would have is what it will do to the bounce.  If you have a lot of bounce now (10 degrees plus) it might work out, but I believe that if you are starting with low bounce you could end up with very little bounce at all which could leave you with a 60* that is harder to hit than your 62 is.

Again, unless you think you can turn the club in for a full refund because it is currently unused, I think I'd recommend getting out and practicing with it as it is for a bit.  It may be that your pitching technique will work well with the club and you'll love it.  If not, stick it in the corner with the putters that haven't quite worked out.  As your game improves you may find that there are certain courses where the club would be a real advantage later on.

I've had a 64* wedge in the bag for 9 years and it has served me quite well. I use it for nearly all of my shorter bunker shots as well as pitches from 35 to 65 yards. Not a club you would want to take a full swing with though. A little thin and you could put yourself in real trouble.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I go 46 52 58 64. The high loft wedge may not be the best selection for my skill level, but I love it from green side bunkers, and especially when I need to carry over them.

Now should my wedge setup be a 62,58,54 or a 62,58,52 what is the best wedge combo with a 62.

You're listing three wedges above, if they fall into the generic categories of Gap/Sand/Lob then the question that remains unanswered is what the loft of your pitching wedge is?  The object is to get a fairly even distribution of lofts.  My pitching wedge, for example is 44 degrees, so I essentially carry two "gap" wedges 48 and 52.  Not everyone is as wedge-happy as I am though. :loco:

My pitching wedge, for example is 44 degrees, so I essentially carry two "gap" wedges 48 and 52.  Not everyone is as wedge-happy as I am though. :loco:

44* pitcher? That's strong! So do you carry a sand and lob as well?

Gaz Lee

44* pitcher? That's strong! So do you carry a sand and lob as well?

I agree, a lot of clubs are getting pretty strong lofts and Titleist is obviously playing right along. I also carry a 56 and 60, so the answer to your question is yes though which I use when in the sand is situational.

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!