IGNORED

Driver shaft length too long for most players

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After researching drivers last year I got one made at 44.25" and it was joy to hit! Driving became the strongest part of my game, recently I bought another one on the pretence that it was 44.5" it was erratic to say the least, occasionally I'd bomb one out and that felt great! But it was very hit and miss, I persevered with it for a while but it was ruining my game! I then measured it up against my other one to find it's 1.5" longer!! So that's 45.75" ...that was all the proof I needed! I've now gone back to my other driver until I get this one shortened! Longer may mean further! But shorter is easier!

Gaz Lee

I seen some other people saying this is an old topic.. but really interesting to me because I just got a new driver added an inch for my height. 6'3" 38" wrist to ground.... and that thing is making me only want to play irons......

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

I've actually been looking into shortening my driver shaft in the near future.  I never thought it was a real issue because i always felt that 1 or 1.5 inches couldn't make that much of a difference until i picked up a friends driver who has the same driver head but a shorter and stiffer shaft than the driver that i have been using and i immediately felt the difference without even swinging the club.  Where do you go to get fitted for a new driver shaft and how much money does a new shaft typically cost?

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

I seen some other people saying this is an old topic.. but really interesting to me because I just got a new driver added an inch for my height. 6'3" 38" wrist to ground.... and that thing is making me only want to play irons......

I am not a fitter, But I have you at 45.30" with a 57 lie driver. How long is your driver now?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I am not a fitter, But I have you at 45.30" with a 57 lie driver. How long is your driver now? (trickyputt) I didnt actually go to a custom fitter I had my measurements from THOMAS golf. I am not sure the lie degree, but the thing comes in at an even 46". Such a huge contrast to my 44" taylor made that was maybe 280? cc.... I could hit the ball a country mile on good days with it. I am currently playing a 440cc at the length (46")and I am liking the sound and the feel but I am nowhere near as accurate or as far with it. My normal fade is inconsistant and sometimes far more bending than a "fade" lol

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

I cannot hit a 440 on a long stick, I feel your pain. I have tried, but only the 460s work for me past 45 inches. Plus, I think the shorter shafts with smaller heads whistle through the release better. I think a 440 with a 44 or 44.5 is a pretty awesome setup. I was looking at Tom Wishons revue of the R1 and other drivers as he measured actual lie. The club can run from 58 to 62+ lie in actual terms. Thats 2 shaft lenth inches for most of us mortals in the irons. Its a real risk for shaft length confusion unless you dial in your plane.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

44.5 is a good length for most mid or high handicap players. The advantage of a forgiving driver head is lost if the shaft length is 46 or longer.

• 1 month later...
So I finally drove this par 4 reachable and made a 4' for eagle. The driver was an R1 head on a raw length UST v2 7075 stiff. The club measures 47".

Tom R.

... I play a 45 in length driver. I put a couple of wraps on the lower part of the grip to make it easier to grip down if I'd like to get it to 44.5 inches on narrower fairways.

A pro at a demo day suggested that golfers choke down a half-inch on FWs when you hit them off the deck, rather than off the tee. A little extra control helps.

Mr. D also has a couple of extra wraps of tape under the lower end of his driver grip. In a tip from GolfWorks, I put extra wraps of tape under the low hand of my wedge grips. This lets you choke down on partial shots without risk of rolling your wrists too much due to thinner grip.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I choke down on my driver ... I hit it soooo much better!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had no problem using my 45, 913d2.  I spoke w/ my fitter about shortening my driver as I had read a lot of web gossip about it.  He had some good points I thought.  1.  Why, do you need another 3 wood?  2.  If you have a hard time w/ the driver at a length made for a majority of the population, and you have a swing that is relatively normal, then why shorten and possibly sacrifice distance.  3.  If you have control problems, practice or take lesson.

I left it at 45, spent some real time on the range working on my control and it's now no longer an issue and I'm glad I didn't go shorter.    As they say, it isn't the driver's fault you can't hit straight.

I like to buy old golf books on ebay that were written by guys who later became real famous but werent as revered when they contributed their thoughts to the publishing house. Jack Nicklaus was one, and in his book he says specifically to learn to hit it long first and learn control later.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!