IGNORED

2014 John Deere Classic Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC Deere Run for the John Deere Classic in Silvis, Illinois. FedExCup points are on the line, as is a spot in next week's Open Championship.

PGATOUR.COM Expert Fantasy selections Projected champion Comments
SEAN MARTIN,
Events Editor
Charles Howell III, Chris Kirk
Zach Johnson, Jordan Spieth
Kirk Totally going on a feeling here, but he's made the cut in all 20 starts this season and has finished in the top 30 in all three starts at TPC Deere Run.
D.J. PIEHOWSKI,
Digital Producer
Chris Kirk, Scott Langley
Jordan Spieth, Steve Stricker
Langley Don't worry, Stricker and Spieth are still there for insurance, but let's take a chance on Langley, a former Illini who is in solid form and has been playing the John Deere for years.
RYAN SMITHSON,
Site Producer
Brendon de Jonge, Zach Johnson
Steve Stricker, Jordan Spieth
Spieth I hate to use Spieth this week because I am down to two starts for him, but how can I bench him?
BILL COONEY,
Site Producer
Zach Johnson, Kevin Streelman
Steve Stricker, Jordan Spieth
Spieth So many high finishes this season without a victory. I'm thinking he repeats this week.
ROB BOLTON,
Fantasy Columnist
Zach Johnson, Ryan Moore
Johnson It doesn’t get any more obvious than ZJ and Stricker at the John Deere, but I’m equally pleased with Moore and Spieth as complements.
BRYAN MULLEN,
Site Producer
Harris English, Zach Johnson
Daniel Summerhays, Jordan Spieth
English Shot 65-67 on the weekend last year for a T15. It's been a season of ups and downs, but had a recent T7 at Travelers.
MIKE McALLISTER,
Managing Editor
Harris English, Jordan Spieth
Steve Stricker, Chris Stroud
Stroud Will a native Texan break through at John Deere for the second straight year? Stroud has already knocked on the door a few times this season.
ANNE DETLEFSEN,
Site Producer
Zach Johnson, Chris Kirk
Ryan Moore, Steve Stricker
Moore Tough week to make a move in the standings. Moore's got 5 top 10s this season, including a win at CIMB.
CHRIS DUNHAM,
Site Producer
Bud Cauley, Tim Clark
Brian Harman, Morgan Hoffmann
Hoffmann Getting increasingly desperate and taking my top 4 that no one else has picked. Hoffmann has the game to win soon and hopefully he finds some form this week.
JOHN SWANTEK,
Host, LIVE@
Robert Streb, Kevin Streelman
Chris Stroud, Steve Stricker
Stricker Strictly a strident selection. Not a stretch for the 3-time champion, striving for a 4th title to stream straight to the stratosphere in tournament history.
HELEN ROSS,
Chief of Correspondents
Billy Hurley III, Zach Johnson
Stricker I imagine my first three picks mirror those of many of my colleagues. Ditto for my winner but how can you pick against the three-time champ?
BRIAN WACKER,
Staff writer
Sang-Moon Bae, Zach Johnson
Kevin Na, Steve Stricker
Johnson Top-three finishes -- including a win -- in four of the last five years make it pretty difficult to pick anyone other than the king of TPC Deere Run.
AMANDA BALIONIS,
Host, Trending on TOUR
Luke Guthrie, Zach Johnson
Jerry Kelly, Steve Stricker
Stricker Semi-retired life somehow translates to strong finishes for Strick.. Oh and he has a decent record on this track.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be there watching this weekend.  (Since I couldn't schedule time to fly to Aberdeen for the Scottish Open)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I need my guy Charlie Beljan to play good again this week. He's on his 2nd year exemption from winning at Disney in 2012 and needs some money $$$ to secure his card.

Is it top 125 on the  money list that keep their cards?

I need my guy Charlie Beljan to play good again this week. He's on his 2nd year exemption from winning at Disney in 2012 and needs some money $$$ to secure his card.

Is it top 125 on the  money list that keep their cards?

You like Beljian? Any reason? No offense but thats like saying your favorite car is a Daewoo.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

You like Beljian? Any reason? No offense but thats like saying your favorite car is a Daewoo.

Funny shit right there (having spent a year in Korea).

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I like him because I thought a headline involving him was funny a few years ago. "PGA Tour golfer hospitalized after shooting 64" or something like that. I saw it a day or so after it happened and thought it should have been bigger news until I read the story.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Fair enough. Yeah I don't hate him; I just nothing him.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I happen to know him quite well. You must be a Tiger fanboy with a comment like that.

Zach Johnson once again on fire at The John Deere. This is like his US Open. He won there two years ago....was a hole away from winning last year....and just torched the front nine. It's a great confidence builder for him, too....he's put himself in contention at the British the last Opens. Kinda fell apart in the 3rd round at St. Anne's, but was right in it going into the back nine at Muirfield.

Zach Johnson once again on fire at The John Deere. This is like his US Open. He won there two years ago....was a hole away from winning last year....and just torched the front nine. It's a great confidence builder for him, too....he's put himself in contention at the British the last Opens. Kinda fell apart in the 3rd round at St. Anne's, but was right in it going into the back nine at Muirfield.

I know everyone's watching the Scottish Open, but this is going to be a fun tournament too.  Guaranteed to be a low scoring rock-fight.  de Jonge is -7 right behind Zach, and 9 more -4 or better.  I wouldn't be surprised to see someone shoot 62 or better today.....

JD does a good job attracting a pretty good field every year in spite of it's position right before The Open.  I know they provide transportation to The Open for those that need it and that certainly helps....pretty smart.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Funny...me and my buddies were just talking about Todd Hamilton the other day and not in a good way. We were talking about biggest one-hit wonders...guys who come out of nowhere and win a major and then never reappear again. Todd Hamilton, Michael Campbell and Shaun Micheel dominated the discussion.

John Deere - the leaders haven't started yet today, this one might be fun to watch this weekend

Bill - 

Got to meet Wes Roach and Ricky Barnes at work on Wednesday. Pretty cool guys got to sit down and talk for about 45 minutes.

Wes had a good round Thursday.

Driver: RBZ Stage 2 10.5

3 Wood: RBZ 16HL

3 Hybrid: RBZ 21

Irons: Mizuno MP54 4-PW w/ TT Dynalite Gold Shafts

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50,54,58 with DG Spinner Shafts

Putter: Mizuno MP A301

I must say I'm not really enjoying this, it's dull. The course doesn't seem challenging enough, it's not much more than a putting competition. It looks as if the winning score might be 20-something under par.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!