IGNORED

People say "nice shot" too soon

dnaygs
Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I say "nice shot" when someone hits a shot they haven't hit all round, like going straight or hitting a good approach. I do get slightly annoyed when people say good shot and I hit the green with 40ft putt to go.

I know stats say differently, but If I pull a shot from 130yd, 15ft left, I know I miss hit it, and it's not a good shot.  I'll be content when it's within 10ft.  That's the way I get better, work harder getting approaches closer and more consistent.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been known to throw out a premature "nice shot" off the tee. My eye's arent what they used to be so it's usually a shot that looks great for the first 100-150 yards or so and then veers off into trouble. I feel like a real arse about it too when it happens so I'm much more apt now to wait until I see where the ball ends up before throwing out the kudos. I do think it is all a bit relative, though. As others have said, a nice shot for me is likely total crap to a really good player or, conversly, might be a great shot for someone who is just happy to make half-way decent contact. Either way, I'd much rather play with the sometimes overly exuburant nice shot guy then the fellow who can't take a well-intentioned, yet admittadly misplaced, compliment. To each his own, I suppose. Then again, I still suck, so I'll take whatever I can get...hahaha!

"Nice shot" is a better alternative than yelling "GET IN THE HOLE!"

In my opinion that is ... :-)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I guess there arent many things like this that bother me on the course. I have a 3 year old and a teething 8 month old at home. You can almost set off fireworks in my backswing and I wouldnt trip. Im just happy to be out on the course.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Lol I just hate these kind of comments too!!! My dad always makes them which is annoying as hell. :-D

"great shot you  hit there, good thinking about club choice!"

(comment about a thinned 4-iron shot yesterday)

sometimes I just say, " it didn't go exactly as I planned the shot"

incredibly annoying.   I've learned to bite my tongue and never do that.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Or maybe even a sublte "hey, have you ever thought about taking up shuffle board"

That sounds a little too much like reality for me. Now that very line will ring thru my head on the next shank. Thanks.

HAHAHAHA...sorry about that. I know there are many times I've thought about taking up something less stressful myself...I've often wondered if maybe wrestling live alligators would be easier, at least with that you only get one mistake. Golf is a gift that keeps giving and, what's worse, is we keep coming back.

Some people here play at courses patronized only by incredibly lame people.  I don't think I've ever played with anyone who's ever said anything about any of my shots except super long putts I've made (comment after it drops), approach shots inside 6-8 feet (comment made almost always not until we're walking up to green), green side pitches holed or nearly holed (comment after result known), or big bombs I hit with the driver that roll past 300 yards (comment made as we all walk up to my ball after 3 others have hit).  Seriously who says "nice shot" the second after impact?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

Heck @iacas can hit a recovery shot to about 15 feet and he doesn't get a word from me.  Talk about someone who complained about not hearing "Nice Shot"!

Butthead. :-)

I'll admit I used to get a little upset when someone would say nice shot to a shot that wasn't up to my standards. I realized awhile back that they're just trying to be nice and it makes me kind of a dickhead to give them the stinkeye or something in return.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My opinion, for whatever it is worth...

1) People like to say, "Nice shot," when they want to give positive reinforcement or compliments to a friend. Nothing wrong with that.

2) People like to say, "Nice shot," when the ball is still in the air and then it ends up in the bunker, out-of-bounds, or in the water.  Not good.  Wait until the ball stops.

3) People like to say, "Nice shot," when a golfer hits an above average shot. Depending on who the golf is, it may or may not be appropriate.

4) People like to say, "Nice shot," when putting, even though the ball doesn't go into the hole.  Sometimes it is appropriate, sometimes not.

Personally, when I hit a good shot (for me), I like acknowledgement, so a friend saying, "Nice shot," is more than welcome.

NOTE: Saying, "Well played," may be a good alternative for "Good shot."

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Seriously who says "nice shot" the second after impact?

Lots and lots of people. If you haven't encountered them, consider yourself fortunate.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Lots and lots of people. If you haven't encountered them, consider yourself fortunate.

Maybe this is a regional/national thing?  I play nearly 100% of the time with 1 golf buddy and two strangers.  Say I average 35-40 rounds a year.  Been doing that for ~7 years.  So that's at least 500 strangers I've played with.  I have never once come across anything like this.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

[QUOTE name="chasm" url="/t/75705/people-say-nice-shot-too-soon/36#post_1018431"] Lots and lots of people. If you haven't encountered them, consider yourself fortunate.[/QUOTE] Maybe this is a regional/national thing?  I play nearly 100% of the time with 1 golf buddy and two strangers.  Say I average 35-40 rounds a year.  Been doing that for ~7 years.  So that's at least 500 strangers I've played with.  I have never once come across anything like this.

Well, not having taken a survey I can't say. But it doesn't seem to be a national thing, because I've seen plenty of it in the UK and there are a number of Americans in this thread who either do it, or think it's Ok.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!