IGNORED

Stand bags, is it worth it to buy expensive ones?

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I had to retire my old stand bag. The zippers were all coming off and the legs didn't spring back when I picked it up. If I put it on anything besides grass or carpet the legs slipped out so far I thought they'd break. I bought a TPS bag, it's much nicer than the Wilson I had before and it seems very similar to many of the higher end ones and it only cost me $60 at Dunham's. So my question is, what is the difference? Am I missing some key element that makes the Nike/Ogio/etc brands extra great for 2-3x the price? I'm not averse to spending money on one later if they have something that makes them worth it, but I don't want to pay just for the name brand to be on the bag.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess only time will tell! I bought a new, but older model lightweight Calloway stand bag 2 years ago, used it extensively, still functioning as good as new, and doesn't look at all tatty yet! It cost me £60! I can't even guess when it will need replacing! My friend bought a cheap Dunlop one, half the price of mine, the legs bust within 6 months and it fell to bits within 12 months! I don't think brand matters, but quality does!

Gaz Lee

I guess only time will tell! I bought a new, but older model lightweight Calloway stand bag 2 years ago, used it extensively, still functioning as good as new, and doesn't look at all tatty yet! It cost me £60! I can't even guess when it will need replacing!

My friend bought a cheap Dunlop one, half the price of mine, the legs bust within 6 months and it fell to bits within 12 months!

I don't think brand matters, but quality does!

That's a good point, looking the same and being made the same are very different things. I suppose if I looked into the materials used between what I got and the higher priced brands I'd probably see they have very little in common. Like you said though, time will tell. Even my wilson bag lasted several years before it started breaking down to the point I wanted to replace it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

One of the first bags I got was a cheap $50 bag from Dick's. It used metal rings to hold the straps together, and the rings bent out of shape in one season of use. There are things you can go cheap on and things you can't, and golf bags, in my opinion, are the latter. That doesn't mean you need to spend like $200 or more on a bag, just don't get some $50 off-brand crap. A good bag can last several years, so it's well worth the investment.

-Rich

I don't know. I had an expensive Nike bag a few years, ago, and it only lasted me about 5 months. It had so many bells and whistles (tons of pockets, 14-way divider, several water bottle holders, etc.) that it got really heavy. Then I got a cheaper Titleist that lasted me a few good years and was much lighter. Now I have a mid-level Ogio that I like a lot. I find the pricier bags with more pockets encourage me to fill all that space, and they get way too heavy. Now I tend to go for the cheaper, lighter bags, and I don't really miss the extra pockets. Quality seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot. They're all pretty shoddy made in China-type quality. Once you get over $100, I'm not sure it really matters. I would be hesitant to go under that, though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah, when I look at a bag, I don't wanna see plastic O rings, or single stitching, and I'd rather have a bag that looks well put together with less features, than a bag packed full of features but looks flimsy! I've just bought a titleist StaDry cart bag now, I bought it online at a great price but I've yet to see it, to be honest, I wouldn't normally do such a thing as buying blind, but I couldn't find one anywhere to check out first, there arent even any reviews anywhere, but the saving was substantial so I bit the bullet! However, I believe that sun mountain make these bags for titleist, and SM waterproof bags have quite a good reputation! So here's hoping!

Gaz Lee

i got my callaway stand bag a while ago for under $100 and it's been great. never carry a full set with it, but it's really light and has enough pockets for everything. it even has the bottom that tips with the legs.

if i carried all my clubs with me when i walked i might want the full divider. the straps are what sold me on my bag though.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

i got my callaway stand bag a while ago for under $100 and it's been great. never carry a full set with it, but it's really light and has enough pockets for everything. it even has the bottom that tips with the legs. if i carried all my clubs with me when i walked i might want the full divider. the straps are what sold me on my bag though.

I got a Callaway stand bag from Costco that I'm starting to sour on because the bottom two slots on either side, which is where I keep two wedges each in, are poorly designed and the wedges, for lack of a better word, get wedged in because they settle in at the bottom of the angle and now the fabric is starting to fray and come apart. It's getting to the point where I'm considering returning it because it's becoming unusable.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yeah, when I look at a bag, I don't wanna see plastic O rings, or single stitching, and I'd rather have a bag that looks well put together with less features, than a bag packed full of features but looks flimsy!

I've just bought a titleist StaDry cart bag now, I bought it online at a great price but I've yet to see it, to be honest, I wouldn't normally do such a thing as buying blind, but I couldn't find one anywhere to check out first, there arent even any reviews anywhere, but the saving was substantial so I bit the bullet!

However, I believe that sun mountain make these bags for titleist, and SM waterproof bags have quite a good reputation! So here's hoping!

My old top of the line Nike stand bag has Plastic O rings, and still is in great cond. sans the rain hood...which got lost..

Talked to a couple of pro shop guys, and they like the Sun Mountain bags, especially the H2O model, but it's pretty spendy for a stand bag imho.

I got a Callaway stand bag from Costco that I'm starting to sour on because the bottom two slots on either side, which is where I keep two wedges each in, are poorly designed and the wedges, for lack of a better word, get wedged in because they settle in at the bottom of the angle and now the fabric is starting to fray and come apart. It's getting to the point where I'm considering returning it because it's becoming unusable.

i think my midsized grips sit up a little bit and out of that hinge. every once in a while i do have to jostle my clubs to pull them out, but that happens in my big bag as well. i always assumed it was the larger grips. when i carry i usually play an executive course (so 6-wedges) or if i'm doing a regular course i'll pull the odd or even irons so there's usually plenty of room.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

i think my midsized grips sit up a little bit and out of that hinge. every once in a while i do have to jostle my clubs to pull them out, but that happens in my big bag as well. i always assumed it was the larger grips. when i carry i usually play an executive course (so 6-wedges) or if i'm doing a regular course i'll pull the odd or even irons so there's usually plenty of room.

I mean, it'd be nice if the bag were able to accommodate a set of golf clubs since that's its only purpose. I've tried playing around with putting different clubs there, but nothing that makes sense. The shafts fall into the bottom of the crevice and then when you pull the club out, the rubber of the grip pulls on the cloth lining of the bag, not from the inside of the bag, but from the part that's visible from the outside. Over time, it's started to pull it apart and fray it as well. It hasn't happened in the middle or higher pockets, which all look good as new. It's funny, as I started posting in this thread, I was just gritting my teeth and dealing with it, but now I think I've talked myself into seeing if the store will take it back. I'd rather spend the extra 50 on a bag that will last me 5 years. Otherwise, it's great.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I mean, it'd be nice if the bag were able to accommodate a set of golf clubs since that's its only purpose. I've tried playing around with putting different clubs there, but nothing that makes sense. The shafts fall into the bottom of the crevice and then when you pull the club out, the rubber of the grip pulls on the cloth lining of the bag, not from the inside of the bag, but from the part that's visible from the outside. Over time, it's started to pull it apart and fray it as well. It hasn't happened in the middle or higher pockets, which all look good as new. It's funny, as I started posting in this thread, I was just gritting my teeth and dealing with it, but now I think I've talked myself into seeing if the store will take it back. I'd rather spend the extra 50 on a bag that will last me 5 years. Otherwise, it's great.

i think costco is good with returns. i am 100% for returning things if you don't like them. too many people think it's a big hassle, but the worst thing that can happen is they won't take it back which leaves you where you're at currently. most places want to keep your business, especially if you're willing to keep the money in their store.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

My old top of the line Nike stand bag has Plastic O rings, and still is in great cond. sans the rain hood...which got lost..

Yeah, my bag uses plastic joints or whatever and they're still in excellent shape. I think I lost the rain hood within a month of getting the bag.

-Rich

I don't think brand matters, but quality does!

Exactly. It is worth spending the extra money for superior materials and craftmanship. You just neeed to educate yourself on what to look for.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I've got the Ping Hoofer 14 way divider bag. Love the pockets, straps and legs. Unfortunately 14 clubs are a bit of a mess. They jam horribly. I even bought tubes thinking it would help....very little improvement. I don't see why Ping or any other brand has to be so lazy as to not just make slots for 14 clubs. Just because I'm walking doesn't mean I plan to play any different. I have 14!clubs to use and I'm taking all of them...all the time.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The one I bought has the 14 way dividers in it, it's nice and there is much less bag chatter than there was with my old bag. I'll probably revisit this thread if I notice any issues with the bad not holding up construction wise.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I bought a Datrek Bag at the start of last season for about $100 and it is holding up fine and has all the features I need.  Most of the bags are in that price and higher (unless you get them on sale) seem to be of reasonable quality but are not meant to last a lifetime.  I doubt if I would get many more years out of a $250 stand bag and would not spend that amount of money on one.

Note: This thread is 3569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!