IGNORED

Average Joe Qualifies for British Open

billchao
Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, a John, anyway. John Singleton, a 30 year old factory worker, has qualified to play in the British Open.

Quote:

“I’m overwhelmed by it all,” Singleton told the Liverpool Echo newspaper. “It’s a great achievement. I never thought that I would play in The Open. It’s not sunk in that I’m going to play in The Open in Hoylake. At a local course to me. I can’t believe it.”

Singleton now just has to get the time off work. He is employed at a resin factory in Birkenhead, not far from Royal Liverpool.

“I’m just a production person on a shop floor. I start at 8 a.m. and finish at 4:30 p.m. I make batches of thick resin and I made five batches of it last week. It’s three and a half tons per batch. It’s a resin that goes over wires and it’s used for waterproofing. I was just lucky to get the job. I’ve worked there for over a year.

“I will find out if I can have two weeks off work so that I can play in The Open. I hope I’m given it."

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jul/06/british-open-qualify-factory-worker-john-singleton/

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

No where in the article does it discuss his playing level.. I mean good for him, but I want to know more!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

No where in the article does it discuss his playing level.. I mean good for him, but I want to know more!

If he qualified for the Open, he's good. Really good, at least that particular day. There are guys with tour cards that fail to qualify for these things.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/75736/average-joe-qualifies-for-british-open#post_1018664"]No where in the article does it discuss his playing level.. I mean good for him, but I want to know more!

If he qualified for the Open, he's good. Really good, at least that particular day. There are guys with tour cards that fail to qualify for these things.[/quote] That's fine, but the only part discussed about how he qualified was that he paid the fee.. That was it! So what is t he walks on and has to play a round? What is it he has to shoot? What did he shoot? Is it a longer process than that where he ha to actually win a tournament I some kind first before applying.. Let us just say that they left a lot to be desired aside from the feel good hey some random joe made it to the open! Anyway, good luck to him!

Eyad

72 in first round 66 in second round. Total 6 under.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This is a much better story than the guy who couldn't break 100 and kept trying to qualify for the British Open. Good for this guy!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

That's fine, but the only part discussed about how he qualified was that he paid the fee.. That was it! So what is t he walks on and has to play a round? What is it he has to shoot? What did he shoot? Is it a longer process than that where he ha to actually win a tournament I some kind first before applying.. Let us just say that they left a lot to be desired aside from the feel good hey some random joe made it to the open! Anyway, good luck to him!

It's an open qualifier, so anyone that meets the handicap requirements can enter. Usually they have a few spots for the open per qualifier. I get what you're saying, but the point of the article was to report a feel good story. All that other information is readily available in other places. [quote name="Shorty" url="/t/75736/average-joe-qualifies-for-british-open#post_1018727"]72 in first round 66 in second round. Total 6 under.[/quote]Thanks for looking that up.

Bill

My Swing Thread

These days you have to be scratch or better just to enter for an Open Qualifier. My own club's champion, who is also our County Champion and plays off +3, played in one of the other regional qualifiers, but didn't make it through. Whatever else Mr Singleton is, he certainly isn't an "average Joe".

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

He played in a local qualifier, shot 71 and was the first alternate. Then he was called up to play in the final qualifier where he played into The Open as part of a 4:3 playoff.

From the players summary at theopen.com

Players play, tough players win!

Agree that this guy is not an average joe.. Someone who can shoot 66 under that kind is pressure? Nice try though!

Eyad

These days you have to be scratch or better just to enter for an Open Qualifier. My own club's champion, who is also our County Champion and plays off +3, played in one of the other regional qualifiers, but didn't make it through. Whatever else Mr Singleton is, he certainly isn't an "average Joe".

Guy is a blue collar factory worker. That's pretty average by , my book. Yea, he happens to be pretty good at golf, but c'mon did you expect him to be a 12 handicap? He qualified for the Open for crying out loud. Average guy, not average golfer.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Average guy, not average golfer.

Fair comment. But the story wouldn't have had quite the same appeal if they'd included the information that he'd played college golf in the States and tried, and failed, to make it as a pro.

• Upvote 1

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Fair comment. But the story wouldn't have had quite the same appeal if they'd included the information that he'd played college golf in the States and tried, and failed, to make it as a pro.

No offence, mate, but what is the source of that information? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious to see where that information comes from. I researched this guy online for a little while, and didn't find anything like that. [EDIT:  whoops, I saw in the quote above that he mentioned it himself]

I saw his Youtube video from the other day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8KBgUfjHEg Ha, that's a proper Wirral accent right there.

Good luck to this fella working in a varnish factory in Moreton by day, and now competing both a stone's throw and yet also a million miles away from his hometown, at the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool this year.

I heard this story on Chris DiMarco's radio show. John Mcguiness mentioned it as well. Guy works at a resin plant making sealants. Average joe as far as his job but in the golf world he's just another great golfer who hasn't made a career out of it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

WTF are people on about?

He has a job and probably has a genuine handicap of plus 2 or something. He put together 2 excellent rounds to qualify and people think that some sort of explanation is required.

Being English it would be a genuine handicap because  they don't do the DIY "never played in a competition but I play off 1" BS.

Not every amateur has his own website liked Dan who this guy could beat with one hand tied behind his back.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Nope. No explanation needed. I think it's cool. I'd just like to hear more about the guy. Pretty bored of the stiffs (Kaymer).

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

WTF are people on about? He has a job and probably has a genuine handicap of plus 2 or something. He put together 2 excellent rounds to qualify and people think that some sort of explanation is required. Being English it would be a genuine handicap because  they don't do the DIY "never played in a competition but I play off 1" BS. Not every amateur has his own website liked Dan who this guy could beat with one hand tied behind his back.

I'm not sure who you are talking to since you didn't quote anyone nor seem to have really answered anyone, so I'll assume you are just making a general comment (although it doesn't seem in its place) Anyway, I see nothing wrong with anything that was said before your comment, so if you can enlighten us and let us know what is it excactly you are upset with. Thanks

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!