IGNORED

Alcohol helps distance

meenman
Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did anyone catch the small article in July's Golf digest?

Apparently a couple of drinks putting you at the legal drunk limit can improve distance off the tee while you may not hit it quite as straight.

Doubling up on that appears to decrease distance again - but it kind of validates my experience that a couple of beers can improve a round, while a bit too much can shove it back downhill again.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Missed it but will look later. Some of my best days on the course are playing with a buzz. It's the next day I don't play well.

Dave :-)

Everybody knows this. :)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Relaxation, not so much thinking...

Alcohol is soooo individual -- I can nurse a Crown Royal and 7 during a round and gain more enjoyment than not having it.

Others can't handle alcohol, some can handle more ... use common sense.

I've known a good cigar to offer similar benefits as alcohol. But when I get past the midpoint, it's time to stop. Tough to nurse a cigar... the Crown and 7 is nurse-able.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Hmm alcohol and nicotine? Sounds like PEDs to me ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hmm alcohol and nicotine? Sounds like PEDs to me ;-)

Yep. Just ask John Daly! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Alcohol and golf doesn't mix for me. One beer and I'm digging trenches behind the ball. Played in a scramble a couple of years ago and had 33 beers during the round. I didn't play my best. Don't know why though. On the other hand, I can bowl quite well with a few beers under the belt.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I missed this, but I'll go back and look for that article. It shouldn't surprise me that there's a Ballmer peak for golf. I drink plenty, but I try to avoid alcohol or caffeine within 24 hours of playing golf. I used to keep a flask of Scotch in my bag, but I no longer do so; among other things, even having it isn't consistent (to me) with trying my best each round. But hey, if it would help, maybe I should. [quote name="vangator" url="/t/75747/alcohol-helps-distance#post_1019428"]On the other hand, I can bowl quite well with a few beers under the belt.[/quote] Most of us consume our beers above the neck, but I suck at bowling, so maybe I should give your technique a shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I used to be able to play some of my best golf with a good buzz but I don't drink near as much anymore and it just doesn't do that anymore.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!