IGNORED

How often do you go to the range?

Rynofskie
Note: This thread is 6046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often do each of you go to the range in a month, and how many buckets do you typically hit on one visit? What skills do you focus on while at the range?
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

How often do each of you go to the range in a month, and how many buckets do you typically hit on one visit? What skills do you focus on while at the range?

I usually go about 6-10 times per month. On a typical visit I will probably hit close to 2 buckets, if not more. I work a lot on my wedges and driver. (60%) Then I hit whatever I think I need work on. The other day I spent about half a bucket on 3 woods off the deck. I generally warm up by hitting SW and then going to every other club for about 10 balls.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

Four times a week. I have learned to hit fewer balls and always have a plan for what specifically I want to work on.

I try to hit a large bucket (120 balls) in about 1.5 hours, no less. Ideally it should take 2 hours. All sessions begin with a wedge and work up from there. I usually make sure to hit a few "specialty shots"... low stingers, fades, draws, flops and pitch-and-runs with PW-7 iron.

In order to maximize the benefit I try to only hit 3-4 shots in a row with the same club. By mixing up the shots I get more experience picking a target, setting-up, and practicing a pre-shot routine. I find the worst way to practice is to get in a groove with a favorite club and just rake 'em over and hit 'em, which is what I see most people doing.

SubPar

I will go anywhere from 2-3 times a week. Never shoot more than a large bucket at a time & I will work on a variety of clubs. Hit 10-15 balls with each club while aiming for a particular yardage marker or spot in the field. I keep hitting the same club until I reach my goal of hitting the designated spot.

I also take notes on the distances I hit each club with. Also I avoid those damn mats at any & all costs. I don't care if I go thru an entire bag of tee's since they are dirt cheap.

I try to go at least 1 time a week. I shot 100 balls. And I try to hit with all the clubs but trying to make my swing automatically.

Regards

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I only go whenever I urgently need to fix something. Standing out in the sun and 95 degrees pounding away at range ball after range ball doesn't appeal to me. Also, it's cheaper to play 9 holes at my course ($8 for a cart - free if walking) than it is for a large bucket of balls ($9).

Now, in the fall and winter, I'll hit the range more often, because that way I can stay warmed up while pounding away with the driver in the dead of winter.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I go once or twice a week. I spend a lot of time, as my range also has a putting and chipping area where you can bring your own balls.

I try everything while at the range, but really focus on whats troubling me at the time.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I got a practice pass at my local range, so I'm going at least 3 times a week. Wish I could get on the course more though.

Driver: SasQuatch 460 Tour (10.5* w/ stiff Diamana Blue Board 83)
3-wood: Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: 3DX Ironwood (20* w/ stiff UST V2); 3DX Genex (17* w/ stiff stock shaft)
Irons: MP-60 4- PW
Wedges: MP-R (52*-7, 56*-10)Putter: Bettinardi C-02

Once or twice currently, spend most actully playing on the course. I tend to hit 150 balls a session. Mainly on practicing different pitching like flop shots etc and shot shaping
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

I tend to go about once or twice a week during the weekday, and I practice firstly with PW for about 30 balls, 9-8-7-6 for 6 balls each, 5-4-Hybrid for 12 each, Then finish using driver and 3 wood for the rest of the balls. I usually buy about 90 balls. I work on using my pre-shot routine every shot, and aiming at a consistent target.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I found for me the more I hit balls at the range the more I screw up my swing. What I have started to do is work mostly on my wedges, and work on getting good contact, etc. Good tempo, etc.

I will chip a lot and practice around the greens, putt, etc. I will take a break in between and go and hit maybe 50 balls, just focusing on contact and tempo. Go back to short game practicing and then maybe finish up with another 50 balls.

Now if something is wrong in my swing (usually the dreaded hooks are back), I will set aside time to work on things at the range. I have two big swing issues right now. The first is I get quick in my take away. The second is even when I don't get quick in my take away I sometimes get quick in my downswing. So really I have one major flaw right now and it is tempo.

I will do other little things here and there (I do sometimes come a bit over the top and pull the ball a bit), but I can usually adjust these fairly quick. What is my big problem is tempo. My tempo gets off and I do all the things I shouldn't. My tempo stays on and I really like my swing.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

Depending on what my schedule is with work I go on average about twice a week. I hit a medium bucket when I go, which is about 55 balls. I'll hit nothing more then a 7 iron usually, then Ill take out the driver and 3 wood and bang a few out there. Then Ill walk over to the practice green and ill hit various chips. Then Im done. I rarely practice putting, and I consider myself a good putter. All in all im outta there in about an hour.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

my driving range is a "fun" range, its really popular with people who really don't play golf.

besides the annoying banter of 8 year olds I find that I am just not a range guy, at least the stereotypical mat and barrier range. Today I played 18 and after having a decent day (80) I decided I'd hit up the range to hit a regular size bucket of driver. Now, I don't know if they have flight restrictive balls or they are just crap but I can't hit the ball when I am there. The barriers are these large, greenish steel things and even though there is ample room to swing and practice they really bother me. I find myself slicing balls when I practice and when I step on the first tee I hit a normal or slight draw into the fairway. I've never had the privillege of having a grass tee with the small dividers, ranges meant for players. I'm sure if I had one of those around me or where a member at one of our prestigious new england country clubs I'd hit at least 2 buckets every day!

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

my driving range is a "fun" range, its really popular with people who really don't play golf.

Lol yeah I agree with you on the barrier thing at the ranges with mats, boy those things bug the hell out of me even if I know there is more then enough room. Luckily the course I work at has only grass at their range so its good practice there. I usually hit balls 3-4 times a week at the range and play the course I work at 3-4 times a week aswell. These two things alone have helped me out drastically considering I have only been playing for about 9 months

Whats in the bag!

Driver: Titileist 983 E. 9.5* S.
Woods 3&5: Titileist 906F
Irons: Nike NDS 3-pwLob Wedge: Vokey 60*Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56*Putter: Nike Oz Black T160. 35Ball: Titileist Pro V1-x

I hit the range usually 3 times a week with even time on putting green, chipping green and driving range. Also a bit of time in the sand.
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

I practice 3 times a week (not counting warm-ups before a round).

However, i don't necessarily go to the range every time. Sometimes it will just be short-game area and putting. Sometime if noone is out, i will just play a few balls by myself and give myself a ton of specific shots.

I terms of how I allocate my practice time--

putting (30%)
chipping (25%)
distance wedges (25%)
irons (10%)
Driver/3wood (10%)

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Note: This thread is 6046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!