IGNORED

Club Transition

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, definitely brand new here :)

I just got back into golfing this year. I golfed twice last year for the first time in probably 8 or 9 years and fell in love. So now I'm out every weekend. My question is, I bought a (cheaper) set of clubs to start out and was fine. Now I feel I am getting better at the game pretty quick. Starting out a few months back this spring, I shot 52-55 or more average. Now I shoot a consistent 42-44. Occasional 38-39 but, I feel my clubs are in need of an upgrade. I have Titleist DCI 990 Iron set, and they just aren't cutting it anymore. Now I'm wondering. I have a buddy that has a set of Cleveland Launchers hed sell me. These model Launchers were made in 05 I believe. The DCIs were 1999. lol. Would this be a good buy? He wants $50 for 4-PW set. That's nothing for a newer set than I currently have BUT, as my game is quickly improving, will these be enough of an upgrade to even notice?

Thanks

At the very least I would be willing to bet you could turn around and sell them on eBay for $100 if you ended up not liking them. For $50 to try the clubs I don't see any reason not to.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the very least I would be willing to bet you could turn around and sell them on eBay for $100 if you ended up not liking them. For $50 to try the clubs I don't see any reason not to.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. He's also selling my the Cleveland Launcher DST Driver for $30....hope thats an ok deal as my PING G2 took a poo today lol

Anyone else have opinions on this deal?

Wish I could help but not a Cleveland guy.

But it seems as if they were in decent condition, original and grooves and faces in good shape, you might benefit if you did not like them. Of course, ebay and paypal have fees - shipping irons is about $25 CONUSA.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Wish I could help but not a Cleveland guy.

But it seems as if they were in decent condition, original and grooves and faces in good shape, you might benefit if you did not like them. Of course, ebay and paypal have fees - shipping irons is about $25 CONUSA.

That's always an option I suppose to sell but. We'll see. Maybe I'll just keep both sets in the meantime. For say I do end up liking these Clevelands, how much you think I could get for 2-PW 990s? And a leather cart bag....

Assuming the shaft flex on the Clevelands is correct for you I guess you can't go far wrong.

Given how much you've improved, and assuming you are pretty committed to staying at golf, you could probably benefit from a good professional fitting into a set of the game improvement clubs aimed more at the better intermediate player.  Titleist AP1, Ping G25, Callaway Apex, Mizuno EZ Forged come to mind, but most major club makers have offerings in this segment.  That, of course, required a bit more investment, but it is probably time to start thinking along those lines and saving up.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I agree with PirateJim about the flex.  Make sure they are the correct flex and then you are in a conversation of risk vs. reward.  The risk isn't very high in the tune of 80 bucks so it couldn't hurt.  As its stated above, you could get that much on a trade-in at the local golf store if you dont like them

That's always an option I suppose to sell but. We'll see. Maybe I'll just keep both sets in the meantime. For say I do end up liking these Clevelands, how much you think I could get for 2-PW 990s? And a leather cart bag....

Check http://valueguide.pga.com

and ebay.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Oh no doubt I will be looking into better clubs, but not until next year. This is my first year back in the sport, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Next year I will be putting more money into a nice set of clubs. A set that I can use for a long time to come.

Anyways, I took the Clevelands out today. I actually shot ONE of my best scores at a 79, but I think the New Driver was the main cause of that. Very straight drives giving me much better position to par most of my Par 4s. Also birdied a nice long Par 5 today which I was excited about too.

Irons sounded and felt better, but as a few were saying they might not fit me very well as more than normal fat shots were a problem but. I'm no pro. I have no idea what to look for when "fitting" for clubs.

I don't even think theres a place near where I live that does professional fittings. Just a small golf shop with a 75 year old owner lol.

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!