IGNORED

Worst form of golf!

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's an idea then...DON'T PLAY SCRAMBLES! Or did you guys just need something to complain about tonight? lol

Ha, yeah! And I can assure you I have never played a scramble or shamble! Stroke play, stableford, match play, and a scoring version called Calcutta, we'll play in doubles, teams or singles, we like to mix it up a bit too! But I just can't get my head round a scramble, but I tell you what, should the opportunity arise for me to be in a scramble, ( god forbid!) I'll now take it!! Just to see if it's as stupid as it appears! [quote name="CraiginKSA" url="/t/75767/worst-form-of-golf#post_1019809"] No skill factor in it? Lethargic game of luck? yup!! I'm sure when you get together with your regular foursome for "around" of golf - you know, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Old Tom Morris, and Hardballs - it's serious business. yup, kind of!! And not all scrambles are the same.  A corporate outing where teams consist of one good golfer, a couple of secretaries, and Floyd from accounting is not the same as a foursome of serious golfers trying to go low. who wants to play with Floyd from accounts? Or a couple of secretaries? In fact what genius takes a bunch of people who have no interest in golf, to play golf? Lighten up Playa!  :dance: I'm as happy as can be when I'm on the first tee! [/quote]

Gaz Lee

I'd never encountered a Scramble until I moved to the States - had to ask my American golfing buddies, "What's a Scramble?" - which caused some amusement, when they invited me to play in one.

They're good fun for what they are, I suppose - but I always play really badly, for whatever reason. I can never seem to find any rhythm.

I play in one or two charity/work scrambles a year. The only time I'll have a couple of beers on the golf course, a couple more in the clubhouse, and have the missus drop me off and pick me up from the course.

• Upvote 1

The Men's Club I was in always plays a scramble for the first tournament each season.  5 man teams set up by the pairings program on the handicap computer - A, B, C, D, and E players, teams evened out based on total team handicap.  It's done as a mixer for the new men's club members to get acquainted, and to get the early season jitters out of the way.   It's scheduled either the last week of March or the first week of April (and always an alternate date 2 weeks later - we get snowed out about 25% of the time on that first week - and twice in 22 years it ended up being postponed until September because of bad spring weather).  There is no team stacking or handicap fudging - everything is on the up and up, but the winning score is usually 57-59.

It's definitely good fun for an early season event, and @Hardballs I guarantee you that it takes effort and focus by everyone on the team to shoot low enough to place in the money.  With 36 - 40 fairly even teams (180 - 200 golfers), the competition is stiff.  I don't think that 10 under par 62 has ever finished in the money.  I've been on a team that made the turn at 9 under and still barely made it into the money with a 60 (the back 9 plays harder that the front most of the time).

Our scramble is different from a charity or other type because we are a tournament club - handicaps are monitored and tournaments are set up based on handicaps.  Individual stroke competitions are flighted by handicap, and team competitions are paired up by the computer by handicap.  Plus we are in the club because we like to compete - the format doesn't change that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try it. You'll like it. I hate the "Magic String". There used to be (maybe still is by a different name of course) an Oldsmobile Scramble that teams qualify for a national sramble. I think it was played ay Bay Hill in Orlando. Roll your own teams. Talk about some low scores. Winner made big bucks.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

From the USGA website:

A scramble is not played under the principles of The Rules of Golf

For me, that pretty much sums it up! But, unfortunately scrambles have become deeply embedded into the world of amateur/club golf. When I was in my 20's(30 years ago) you could play locally sponsored amateur medal and match play events all summer long. They're still out there but only a handful compared to yesteryear. Scrambles, you can easily play in two or three a week all summer long they have become so prevalent.

I think the golf courses prefer scrambles as well because it's not just a golf tournament but also involves banquet/food sales and lots and lots of alcohol sales. All good for their bottom line.

Personally I only play in one a year and I will continue to play in it because it's for a friend at work who lost his daughter to cancer. It's for a great cause and to support a friend and I take the whole scramble thing with a grain of salt that day. There's always some contractor that puts a team together and shoots -50 under(obvious exaggeration) and some people grumble cheaters under their breathe but I could care less. None of those amazing "scramble" golfers ever seem to show up for any real tournament stroke play events in the area.

My definition of Scramble: A drinking event that is tagged with a good cause that involves striking a golf ball and or "filling out a score card", lol! So just go out, have fun and a couple drinks(responsibly) and walk away knowing you gave something for a good cause that day.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

My definition of Scramble: A drinking event that is tagged with a good cause that involves striking a golf ball and or "filling out a score card", lol! So just go out, have fun and a couple drinks(responsibly) and walk away knowing you gave something for a good cause that day.

Pretty much right on. I never been on a team that cheats, we all like to see how good we can do. I pretty much go to scrambles to have fun.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have to say it was an annual scramble event that got me interested in golf.  Back in 2011, the 3rd year I played in this tournament, was the year I started making a few good shots, and that's when the bug bit me.  If this had been an event of pure stroke play, I would never have gotten involved.  The scramble IS a great way to get non-golfers involved in the game in an easier format, and of course works best if at least 1 team member is a decent golfer.

To add to this, however, is my group (25+ guys who, truth be told, are "drinkers who like to golf" more than anything) has the mandatory scramble, but an optional stroke-based challenge.  Usually the same guy wins the challenge every year.

I enjoy playing scrambles (selective shot) a few times a year.  Would not like to do it all the time and understand those that don't like it at all.  But for me it is enjoyable and you can try shots you might never try in other formats.  Sometimes it does take longer than it should, but then that is more the testosterone issues with a bunch of scratch player who bought maximum "Mulligans" and want to show the world how to win rather than the "twice a year" players IMO.

Butch

Since I've started playing again I've gotten invited to 4 or 5 scrambles for work. Mainly fund-raising events for our clients and usually on some of the nicest courses in our area. These are courses I probably wouldn't get to play otherwise and would I rather play my own ball...absolutely...but I figure it beats being at work anyday and at least I'm swinging a club under conditions closer to a real round then if I were practicing on a range. Besides, there's no beer cart in the office...hahaha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

Here's an idea then...DON'T PLAY SCRAMBLES! Or did you guys just need something to complain about tonight? lol

Ha, yeah! And I can assure you I have never played a scramble or shamble! Stroke play, stableford, match play, and a scoring version called Calcutta, we'll play in doubles, teams or singles, we like to mix it up a bit too! But I just can't get my head round a scramble, but I tell you what, should the opportunity arise for me to be in a scramble, ( god forbid!) I'll now take it!! Just to see if it's as stupid as it appears!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

No skill factor in it? Lethargic game of luck?

yup!!

I'm sure when you get together with your regular foursome for "around" of golf - you know, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Old Tom Morris, and Hardballs - it's serious business.

yup, kind of!!

And not all scrambles are the same.  A corporate outing where teams consist of one good golfer, a couple of secretaries, and Floyd from accounting is not the same as a foursome of serious golfers trying to go low.

who wants to play with Floyd from accounts?

Or a couple of secretaries?

In fact what genius takes a bunch of people who have no interest in golf, to play golf?

Lighten up Playa!

I'm as happy as can be when I'm on the first tee!

Scrambles are a social game ... it's not about scoring.     If you can get past that, maybe you'd have a good time and actually talk to someone on a golf course ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I suppose I can accept it could be fun in a competitive team event! And I can see it being a good way to gather people for a charity event! Maybe it's a UK/USA divide, I only rarely hear of scrambles here in the UK! And I think most people here just prefer to play golf! I would say stableford is probably one of the most popular forms!

Gaz Lee

My thoughts exactly! If I have the time to play a round of golf, I'm gonna play around of golf! Not get involved with group of people who don't care if they hit a bad shot or not! I mean, there's not even a skill factor in it, it becomes a lethargic game of luck with no motivation to try and play well! I couldn't see myself enjoying it! Even if it was a charity event, I'd rather pay a donation to NOT be involved!

I'm not putting the people who play this way down! I'm just saying it's not for me! And I'm sure there are much better ways to accomplish whatever it is this form of golf tries to accomplish!

I played in a company scramble event last Friday. Hey, if I've got a choice of sitting in the office or being out on the course... not too hard of a choice for me. I play in maybe 1 or 2 a year and prefer playing my own game, but it is still more fun than working!

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

I suppose I can accept it could be fun in a competitive team event! And I can see it being a good way to gather people for a charity event! Maybe it's a UK/USA divide, I only rarely hear of scrambles here in the UK!

And I think most people here just prefer to play golf! I would say stableford is probably one of the most popular forms!

It should be said that that scrambles mostly serve the specific function of providing a fun format for widely mixed groups of players.  They are used primarily to raise money for charity, or as corporate mixers to reward employees for a good season/year or whatever.  Scrambles are not played as a regular substitute for straight stroke play.

Most golf in the US is stroke play, and even a scramble is a variation on stroke play.  We rarely play Stableford, - in fact most players here wouldn't even know what you are taking about.  Even match play is rare outside of organized clubs.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The only charity we play for in our scramles is ourselves. I love getting out there and only playing good shots. Best any team I've been on is -17. No mulligans. I play enough regular stroke play.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My daughter had just taken up golf and was visiting when I got her into our weekly scramble.  On one of the par 5's she lipped out about a 40 foot eagle putt.  She was such a beginner she could barely hit it 100 yards, but that was a really fun moment.

And that's the point of a scramble.  They're a lot of fun and they put beginners and high (really high) hanidcappers in positions that they would normally never experience.  Scrambles are not "real" golf, but you still have to hit shots to score well.

Occam's razor

When a scramble format is actually BAD.  Didn't think it was possible but read below:

Playing a Sunday afternoon round with my wife.  The couple in front of us was playing a 2-person scramble ... from BOTH balls!  Each would hit a single tee ball.  Both husband and wife would hit from each ball, (4 shots total) move on and play two shots from each of the better NEXT shot.  It took about 6 holes for me to figure out what was going down on the greens.  A couple of times, the pin would come out, both would take a run at a long putt.  Then the flag would go BACK IN, and they'd be chipping from off the green again.

To make matters even WORSE in terms of slow play, both sets of clubs were on a cart and only the woman rode.  The guy walked off each tee (slowly, mind you) while his wife would arrive at the first ball to be played and WAIT for him to arrive at the first ball to be played!

Talk about a slow round!  And have never seen such a thing.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

When a scramble format is actually BAD.  Didn't think it was possible but read below: Playing a Sunday afternoon round with my wife.  The couple in front of us was playing a 2-person scramble ... from BOTH balls!  Each would hit a single tee ball.  Both husband and wife would hit from each ball, (4 shots total) move on and play two shots from each of the better NEXT shot.  It took about 6 holes for me to figure out what was going down on the greens.  A couple of times, the pin would come out, both would take a run at a long putt.  Then the flag would go BACK IN, and they'd be chipping from off the green again. To make matters even WORSE in terms of slow play, both sets of clubs were on a cart and only the woman rode.  The guy walked off each tee (slowly, mind you) while his wife would arrive at the first ball to be played and WAIT for him to arrive at the first ball to be played! Talk about a slow round!  And have never seen such a thing. dave

This would drive me insane!!!! ...and is the only reason I would approve of concealed carry on a course!!!

Gaz Lee

This would drive me insane!!!! ...and is the only reason I would approve of concealed carry on a course!!!

I generally disagree with your stance on scrambles but I'm with ya here buddy. A scramble for a charity event, where the course is essentially shut down for the event is fine. Having to follow a group like the one posted, would drive me friggin insane!

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!