IGNORED

Worst form of golf!

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Benefit scrambles can be fun, unless you end up with the semi-pro teams in the mix.

You can feel their presence if you end up with a score pattern like this:

Team A:  -17 under

Team B:  -15 under

Team C:  -8 under

Team D:  -8 under

Team E:  -7 under

Team F:  -6 under

Team G:  -6 under

Team.......

You get the picture.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I've just got back and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it! Mainly because of the company I was with, and a great course too. My opinion has changed, I can now understand the valid points that have been posted in favour of them, and although I would prefer to play proper golf, and would not purposely go out to play this way, I would certainly do it all again in a similar setting! We came 4th and just missed out on the prizes, but never mind!

Gaz Lee

Well I've just got back and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Good. I like scrambles myself because of two simple things - fun and access. If golf isn't fun then what's the point?

As was at least alluded to earlier, this format also opens the game to others who may be intimidated by stroke or match play events. I run an annual scramble for my town's youth club. The scramble yields more players which means more cash for the program.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Scrambles can be fun, but you would be insane to go out behind one. Lots of people that never play golf end up in them. As long as there is one decent person in the group, it's okay.

I won longest drive twice, which yielded $100 once. So, that was nice.

Lol @ semi-pro teams. I've never played in a scramble without those guys winning. I should put my own together sometime (I'll be the coach!).

I enjoy scrambles for the most part. I really prefer the ones that allow you to pick your own team. Last year our team finished at -14 and that was still only good enough for 2nd place. It's all about having fun but, I don't think I have ever played in one yet. Where there was not some pencil whipping going on. That irritates me, why cheat in a scramble? I just don't get it.

I don't think I have ever played in one yet. Where there was not some pencil whipping going on. That irritates me, why cheat in a scramble? I just don't get it.

Never assume there is pencil whipping going on from any one team.  If someone comes in with a score of -17 or -18 ... it's 100% possible.  Especially when you have mulligans, tee busters and other games that give you more advantages.

I've been lucky enough to be on a few winning teams and we hear the rumblings, oh they cheated....  ?  Nope, give credit and don't be bitter you didn't win.  Worst thing, is some of the guys I play with shoot 75-82 range and don't look the first thing like golfers and then we may have a guy on our team who shoots 100+.  If you have a few good players and your team is putting well...  shoot, you can put up numbers.  That said, I've played in a two man with no mulligans and we shot -13 and lost- yes, I 100% thought there was some pencil whipping going on so I know where you are coming from.  It just sucks when your on the other side and people wrongly assume that cheated or didn't actually play that well.  Even if you feel that way, don't accuse a team unless you have a great reason to.

Again, scramble allows players to utilize their strengths so even if you have a team of all 90's players, you can piece a decent score together if you have the right mix of shots and make some putts...

My thing, is you go out there and have fun.  Don't worry to much about winning. Joke a little, relax, celebrate good shots and enjoy the day.  I'm playing a scramble tomorrow and I don't think we have a shot at winning....  However, it will be fun!!!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Benefit scrambles can be fun, unless you end up with the semi-pro teams in the mix.

You can feel their presence if you end up with a score pattern like this:

Team A:  -17 under

Team B:  -15 under

Team C:  -8 under

Team D:  -8 under

Team E:  -7 under

Team F:  -6 under

Team G:  -6 under

Team.......

You get the picture.

This happens often but I don't let it bother me much.  Usually there are a couple of three teams of scratch golfer teams and they max out on purchase of "mulligans".  I guess I just don't let it bother me as generally the Scramble is for charity and so I see the golf as just  side benefit of making the world better for someone less fortunate than myself.  Also there usually a couple of CTP prizes and a raffle that has some nice prizes.  But even when I walk away with empty hands I am thinking of having a good day with my friends and how fortunate I am to still be playing the game instead of looking up at the grass.

Butch

I play in a few scrambles a year and the key is just to have fun. You can't worry about whether other teams are cheating (they are) or whether some teams are using wayyyyyy more mulligans than they bought (they are), I just look at them as an opportunity to play with my sons, have fun and contribute some cash to a good cause.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

My thing, is you go out there and have fun.  Don't worry to much about winning. Joke a little, relax, celebrate good shots and enjoy the day.  I'm playing a scramble tomorrow and I don't think we have a shot at winning....  However, it will be fun!!!

I played in a small local charity scramble this weekend.  Three-man teams and the winners shot -4.  My team (two -15 hcps and myself) shot scratch and finished in 3rd or 4th place.  The weather was absolutely glorious and we had a great, relaxing, fun day out there.  We had to scramble like crazy for a few of our pars and there were lots of laughs, high fives and good times.  Two of the other teams on adjacent holes were friends of ours and we joked around with them and exchanged trash talk all day long.  Since we had a "bragging rights" bet with the friends on the hole behind us, we'd cheer and act like we birdied or eagled the hole anytime they were within earshot, just to mess with their heads.  Couldn't possibly call it anything but a great, fun day!

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I play in 4-5 scrambles a year with friends.  It's mainly an excuse to go out, drink some beer, have a good time, and not take golf so seriously.  I don't doubt cheating happens, but we're not very good and we know we're not going to win so oh well, whatever makes them feel better.

I've always wondered why scrambles don't use two groups on the same hole instead of one.  Would take away a lot of the cheating that happens.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Worst form of golf? 4 person scramble, by far. Followed by any scramble except a one person scramble, which I like to play in. They should throw out the scramble, which will never happen. Best ball should take place- 4 person best ball, 3 person best ball, etc.

I've played on some stacked teams. I was a scratch golfer (or close) and was the D player. Shot -21 once but usually in the -16 to -18 range. No mulligans. Played in a scramble last year put on by one of our suppliers. They tried to even out teams. I got on the worst team I've ever seen. One customer had never golfed before but contributed one scull shot onto a green. Another golfer had golfed a couple of times. He contributed 2 shots (one a CTP). The third guy was almost dead (in his 70's and a 36 HCP). He contributed a couple of shots. The rest were mine. Almost every tee shot had 0 balls in play. Finished -4. Free lunch, dinner and beer though!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I've played on some stacked teams. I was a scratch golfer (or close) and was the D player. Shot -21 once but usually in the -16 to -18 range. No mulligans.

Played in a scramble last year put on by one of our suppliers. They tried to even out teams. I got on the worst team I've ever seen. One customer had never golfed before but contributed one scull shot onto a green. Another golfer had golfed a couple of times. He contributed 2 shots (one a CTP). The third guy was almost dead (in his 70's and a 36 HCP). He contributed a couple of shots. The rest were mine. Almost every tee shot had 0 balls in play. Finished -4. Free lunch, dinner and beer though!

Hmm, you were either a scratch golfer or you were not, maybe close? You were the D player and your team shot -21. Your story has BS all over it. At least you got to use 2 shots from those hacks and, the rest was All you. All You indeed.

I do not much like scrambles but you have to realize what they normally are for or about.  Typically there is some charity involved or maybe even to support a team or school golf program.  So I will play a couple a year but otherwise, I prefer to play another course the day of scrambles.  But when it is something like Meals on Wheels or the Heart Association, etc., you know you are not there just to play golf.

RC

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!