IGNORED

Why Tiger is due for a great comeback!

Michael Lee
Note: This thread is 3564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 years ago I was sure he was going to break Jack's 18-major-wins record.

But now, I think that record is safe for another 25 years.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

5 years ago I was sure he was going to break Jack's 18-major-wins record.

But now, I think that record is safe for another 25 years.

If he does not break it I do not think anyone ever will.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's easy to second guess Tiger in a number of ways specifically when it comes to swing coaches; not only has he had three swing coaches throughout his career, he has rebuilt his swing from the ground up each time. But you have to appreciate his work ethic on the practice range between tournaments. Is he rusty around the edges? Oh heck yeah! Will he win more majors ? You better believe it !

If he does not break it I do not think anyone ever will.

It's not too late for tiger yet. . Someone will break it...at some time in the future. I probably will be long gone by then....:-(

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

It's easy to second guess Tiger in a number of ways specifically when it comes to swing coaches; not only has he had three swing coaches throughout his career, he has rebuilt his swing from the ground up each time. But you have to appreciate his work ethic on the practice range between tournaments. Is he rusty around the edges? Oh heck yeah! Will he win more majors ? You better believe it !

Answering one's own questions....priceless.:-);-):-P:-\:naughty:

I can understand the argument that he's bottomed out and has nowhere to go but up. However, in golf there is no rock bottom.

I think it's foolish to assume he'll definitely play better; I think he's still talented enough to have chances at some majors, but he could also still get a lot worse, and he's got enough exemptions to play extremely badly and still play events for years.

Personally I'd like to see him win another major but I think there are too many good players in his way for him to ever dominate again.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

O.K  Before I comment, I'd like everyone to know I'm a big Tiger fan (owner of DVD books etc ), but if I was his manager I'd be hooking him up ( if you know what I mean ) Man this guy played some of the most amazing golf ever seen while he was  ummm ..  you know.. "doing the business'.

It's no brainer I think !

cheers

I think I'll take a "wait and see".  When they mess with your spine it sometimes works but often not.  Certainly Tiger is a skilled competitor, but an older one now with some chronic issues.

Butch

O.K  Before I comment, I'd like everyone to know I'm a big Tiger fan (owner of DVD books etc ), but if I was his manager I'd be hooking him up ( if you know what I mean ) Man this guy played some of the most amazing golf ever seen while he was  ummm ..  you know.. "doing the business'.

cheers

How do you know he is no longer "doing the business"?

I mean he's not married anymore. And Von already said she isn't interested in getting married.....[with Tiger]

Someone will break it...at some time in the future.

I probably will be long gone by then....

I disagree.  I think all the reason Jack gave in 1996 why there will ever be another superstar in golf were completely correct.  The only thing he never counted on was the emergence of a one of a kind talent.  And by talent I mean the whole package, physical, work capacity,

And even if another similarly talented player emerges in the future, the mountain keeps eting higher because of the continuing strengthening of fields that has been going on for 50 years.  Which means if a Tiger-level talent emerges in the future winning 8 majors may be more difficult than winning 14 in Tiger's day.  Even if he's BETTER than Tiger he might only win 6-10 majors.  Just like some of us say that Tiger winning 14 was more difficult and challenging than Jack wining 18.

Personally I'd like to see him win another major but I think there are too many good players in his way for him to ever dominate again.

Depends what you mean by dominate.  Did he dominate in 2013 when he won more times in a year than any active player has ever done with the exception of Vijay?  And in which 3 of his 5 wins were among the top 8 stroke play events in terms of quality of fields and prestige.

If that is domination then I think he will.  If by domination you mean 1999-2008 level domination, which no player in the history of golf ever achieved, then yes, you are probably correct.  But then again, if you mean THAT level of domination then no player in golfing history has ever dominated for more than a year or two at a level that Tiger maintained for a 10 year period.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
I disagree.  I think all the reason Jack gave in 1996 why there will ever be another superstar in golf were completely correct.

Ditto. I don't think anyone will break it during the 2000s. Tiger has the only chance (and it's not a very good one) to get to 19. Nobody else will do it in the 20xxs (by the 2100s golf may no longer look like golf, there may be six majors for all I know, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

cheers

Any chance that this kind of comment could become a thing of the past by the time Tiger retires? The joke was old two years ago. And wasn't even funny then.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!