IGNORED

What is more difficult links golf or parkland golf?

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What's harder to score well on?

• Links
    • Parkland
    • Neither

Obviously it depends on the course. However, for those brought up on parkland layouts, links courses can seem almost incomprehensibly difficult. I played North Berwick today. Classic links course, and probably playing easier than usual because there was very little wind. But the undulations, strategically-placed deep (DEEP) traps and general terrain required a degree of inventiveness and improvisation that was simply beyond me. I was hitting the ball pretty well but finding it really difficult to score. Simply no point in hitting high wedges at the pins, because it was impossible to hold the ball on the greens. Wonderful golf course. If I played it again I'd have more chance. But playing "target golf" there is simply out of the question.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Obviously it depends on the course. However, for those brought up on parkland layouts, links courses can seem almost incomprehensibly difficult. I played North Berwick today. Classic links course, and probably playing easier than usual because there was very little wind. But the undulations, strategically-placed deep (DEEP) traps and general terrain required a degree of inventiveness and improvisation that was simply beyond me. I was hitting the ball pretty well but finding it really difficult to score. Simply no point in hitting high wedges at the pins, because it was impossible to hold the ball on the greens. Wonderful golf course. If I played it again I'd have more chance. But playing "target golf" there is simply out of the question.

Wow, that must nice to just play those historic courses regularly. Wasn't that Old Tom's nemesis Willie Park's home course?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, that must nice to just play those historic courses regularly. Wasn't that Old Tom's nemesis Willie Park's home course?

I didn't know that. It's certainly one of the oldest, they've been playing there continuously since 1832 or thereabouts. I don't play these courses regularly, but I'm spending a couple of weeks playing some of the famous lowland Scottish courses with a few friends. I'll post a review in the golf courses forum when we're done, if anyone's interested.

I believe it was Winnipaug Country Club but it could have been Weekapaug. Not the best I've played but fun because of the views.

I believe it was Weekapaug because I remember it being semi-private. Have you played them?

I hope this comment didn't offend. I've done that inadvertently before. I only say it because the course wasn't maintained great the day I played, had been a few days since it had been mowed but it was a lot of fun and I'd definitely go back.

Thanks and no worries about offense.  I have driven by both courses.  With those names, it is easy to get them confused.  I will put them on my list to try.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks and no worries about offense.  I have driven by both courses.  With those names, it is easy to get them confused.  I will put them on my list to try.

Ok, whew, good, I get myself in trouble sometimes with my directness. Definitely worth it and while there are trees and such, I'd still call them links courses. Lots of seaside holes. Fun track (whichever one it was that I played ;))

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I didn't know that. It's certainly one of the oldest, they've been playing there continuously since 1832 or thereabouts. I don't play these courses regularly, but I'm spending a couple of weeks playing some of the famous lowland Scottish courses with a few friends. I'll post a review in the golf courses forum when we're done, if anyone's interested.

Sounds awesome. You drive up from England or are you Scotch? I didn't make it south of the Firth of Forth while I was there. We stayed mostly in Fife with a day trip up through Dundee to Carnustie. Got toay the Championship course and Burnside (where Hogan once qualified for The Open). One could spent a couple weeks around Berwick playing all those courses. Come to think of it, I believe Willie Park's home course was Musselborough, right in the vicinity. Maybe next time I go although the north of Scotland has some intriguing courses as well. Will be a tough decision.

You drive up from England or are you Scotch?

Scotch is a whisky. The people are Scottish. But yes, I drive up from England.

Scotch is a whisky. The people are Scottish. But yes, I drive up from England.

Lol, my bad. Why didn't I know that? Jeez.

I've played both and it really depends on the set-up of the individual course. I voted Neither because I've played easy and difficult of each. Don't think one can use only that distinction to make a determination.

I LIKE links better only because it's not something I get to do often, living in Dallas, so playing it is a special event for me.

Ever Play The Tribute ? If So, How did you like it ?

I voted neither because I think it's more a matter of what type you play most. I have a lot of experience playing in the wind but very little on links golf. I guess I've only played two seaside/links type courses, Pebble Beach, and The Currituck Club in Outer Banks N.C. Neither of them exactly look or play like what you see on TV in the "The Open Championship" but one thing is for sure, wind is their biggest defense!

When I played Pebble Beach years ago the weather was a bit of a fluke. It was a beautiful late summer day in August with virtually no wind . Holes 8,9,10, and 18 played tough because they are tough holes with or without wind but the rest of the course played about as hard as your local muni that day.

The Currituck Club was a completely different story. The wind blew a constant 20-30mph all day long making it a bear of a challenge!

Maybe someday I'll make it over to the "home of golf" and get to play some of those fantastic courses.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Ever Play The Tribute ? If So, How did you like it ?

I've played it many times. One of my favorite courses in the metroplex, although very pricey. We played it probably 5 times in preparation for our Scotland trip. Haven't played it mich since then. I think,there are 6 or 7 holes there where I've played the actual hole in Scotland. Layouts are mostly accurate but the conditions here are so much more lush than they are in real life. I've had some of my best rounds there, I had no career scoring rounds in Scotland. ;) Probably been a year since I've played there, need to get back as soon as I can scrape up $130, I just might.

I've played it many times. One of my favorite courses in the metroplex, although very pricey. We played it probably 5 times in preparation for our Scotland trip. Haven't played it mich since then.

I think,there are 6 or 7 holes there where I've played the actual hole in Scotland. Layouts are mostly accurate but the conditions here are so much more lush than they are in real life. I've had some of my best rounds there, I had no career scoring rounds in Scotland. ;)

Probably been a year since I've played there, need to get back as soon as I can scrape up $130, I just might.

Very cool, I'll have to try to get out there and play it next time I'm visiting. The nicest course I've played in the metroplex is Cowboys Golf Club, Wow!  That place is amazing, Staff, comp food and drink sets that place above everything else I played out there. Tour 18 was ok, I really enjoyed playing Fossil Creek and Bear creek.

Vegas has a very similar thing too, it's called Royal Links. Its always really pricey but golfnow has had some pretty good specials so I may go play there on my day off sometime next week :)

Very cool, I'll have to try to get out there and play it next time I'm visiting. The nicest course I've played in the metroplex is Cowboys Golf Club, Wow!  That place is amazing, Staff, comp food and drink sets that place above everything else I played out there. Tour 18 was ok, I really enjoyed playing Fossil Creek and Bear creek.  Vegas has a very similar thing too, it's called Royal Links. Its always really pricey but golfnow has had some pretty good specials so I may go play there on my day off sometime next week :)

Cowboys is a good layout. Don't care for Bear Creek, either one and never played Fossil Creek. Tour 18 can be great when they're keeping it up. It's had ownership issues over the years so I've seen it in various states of play over the years. I will say that I've never had a really good round out there, it's a tough track! But, I've only missed the green on the Sawgrass 17th replica once out of probably 10 times. Not very tough with a wedge in your hands. I've 3 putted a few times though. The green is large and very tricky.

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!