IGNORED

My Golf Club Closed Without Warning =(

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They took the bar! They took the whole :censored: bar!

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/07/16/dayton-area-golf-course-shuts-down.html

Apparently, my golf club closed shop without warning on Tuesday. I'm really beside myself. This sucks!

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its a shame whenever a golf club closes, looked at the place from google maps & it looks like a great place to golf. Hopefully the ownership situation gets sorted out.

Whats in my bag:

:nike: SQ Dymo2 Driver

Triumph Fairway Woods

:nike: VRs X Irons

:nike: VR V-Rev Wedge

:mizuno: Putter

Its a shame whenever a golf club closes, looked at the place from google maps & it looks like a great place to golf. Hopefully the ownership situation gets sorted out.

It's a very nice course, home to 2 college and 1 high school team. The Ohio Women's Amateur was played here last month and there are a few other MVGA events planned here. This could be interesting. I have a VLog playing there in this post .

- Shane

Hopefully this wasn't one of those $30,000/year membership + $250,000 initiation fee courses, members could be out of a whole lot of cash if it was.

In any case, always sad to see a course close. A course on the north end of my current town closed a few years ago with little warning, I went there one day to see about a tee time and all there was was a sign in the window saying the course was closed and was now a wildlife preserve.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I'm pretty sure that "without warning" is the norm in such situations. If they gave warnings, they'd be opening themselves up to all kinds of issues.

It really sucks, but there's not much anybody can do. More than 150 courses closed in 2013 and this year's total will probably be pretty similar. Not a great time to be in the golf business.

At my club I could save one month's fees if I paid for 12 months up front, but I won't do that because it's always in the back of my mind that it could close at any time and I could lose a considerable amount of cash. Therefore, I stay with the month-to-month plan.

John

• Administrator

What would happen if you kept playing on it?

Well, for one, you can be arrested for trespassing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They took the bar! They took the whole :censored: bar! [URL=http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/07/16/dayton-area-golf-course-shuts-down.html]http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/07/16/dayton-area-golf-course-shuts-down.html[/URL] Apparently, my golf club closed shop without warning on Tuesday. I'm really beside myself. This sucks!

Did you already make a payment on a membership that you won't get to make use of? My usually driving range closed last fall and I lost about a few dozen buckets on my card that I'd already paid for. That sucked.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well, for one, you can be arrested for trespassing.

Wouldn't they just ask you to leave at least once. There may not be holes though.

And that sucks OP but looking for a new place may be fun.

James

It's a very nice course, home to 2 college and 1 high school team. The Ohio Women's Amateur was played here last month and there are a few other MVGA events planned here. This could be interesting. I have a VLog playing there in this post.

Wow, this is a bummer.

Do you get at least some of the fees back?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hopefully this wasn't one of those $30,000/year membership + $250,000 initiation fee courses....

Not likely, it's Ohio....! ;-) Just kidding. Sorry Carl, that sucks!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not likely, it's Ohio....!

Just kidding. Sorry Carl, that sucks!

No worries. I moped around for a few days, but I'm better now. :beer:

We actually do have a few higher tier clubs like NCR CC which I get to play once or twice a year. A business associate offered to sponsor my membership (not monetarily unfortunately), but I don't have that kind of scratch laying around. It would be nice for sure.

I fortunately didn't pay the full membership for the first year to try out the club. I paid $450 for the family "Provincial" membership which gave me access to the club where I paid a green fee each time out. I feel bad for the members who paid $4000 or more for the full membership. Also, I didn't have my clubs in storage or anything in my locker. I wonder if those folks can get access to their clubs and stuff.

It's a wait and see situation at this point, but at this point, I'm out the money that I paid for the membership. If I had the money, I would buy it. It's a tough business, but they haven't been beating down doors in the community either. The new "non-owner" ran an advertising campaign in the spring, but that was it. Golf clubs, or anything for that matter, don't sell themselves unless it is an elite club. Too many people don't look at business ventures like this from a marketing perspective. My brother and sister-in-law opened a spay and neuter clinic about 5 years ago. I'm sure he could attest to the fact that it takes a ton of his free time going to festivals, etc. promoting their business. People don't just magically walk in your door.

And yes, I've thought about taking my shag bag to the range/course and doing my shot zones. It should be wide open. ;-)

- Shane

Keep us updated Carl. It would be a real pity to see another course close around here and I hope you get some value back for the membership fee.

I went to a wedding at NCR a year ago. I wanted to grab my wedge out of the trunk and start hacking away, but I controlled myself. The bride and groom are still friends of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Rumor has it from a confidential source that a new owner will be closing on the club this week, and they intend to open it next year as a public course. Apparently, the lawsuits from the guy who claimed to be the owner are going to keep the courts busy for quite a while. I am most likely out of the membership that I paid, but if the new owners are smart, they will offer reduced priced deals to the current membership to get them back.

- Shane

Sorry it doesn't sound like you are going to be made whole any time soon.

If it does come to pass like that, I'd be really interested in knowing the price point. Between work and spending time at my parent's place, I'm in Beavercreek a lot. It would be nice to have a close-by option that isn't the very expensive and reputedly difficult, Beavercreek Golf Club.

Sorry it doesn't sound like you are going to be made whole any time soon.

If it does come to pass like that, I'd be really interested in knowing the price point. Between work and spending time at my parent's place, I'm in Beavercreek a lot. It would be nice to have a close-by option that isn't the very expensive and reputedly difficult, Beavercreek Golf Club.

I imagine their pricing will be similar to BCreek and the course is just as difficult given it's length and greens. You should definitely try it out though.

- Shane

Sorry to hear man. Same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago. The course was less than 2 miles from house, and was just closed one day. Always thought someone would buy it and re-open, but it's just overgrown now.

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!