Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbrister

S&T straight shot vs pushdraw

34 posts in this topic

I've been working on s&T; lately and have seen good results when I'm consistent. However, I've read that the stock shot should be a pushdraw. Most of my shots are straight instead ( when i make good contact). I'll definitely take that over the usual slices. I do not open the club face at address, so shouldn't that result in a hook, instead of straight? Would opening the face make me pushdraw or is there something else going causing straight shots

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Are you sure you're hitting a "straight shot." My understanding is that it's pretty hard, and rare, to truly hit it straight. The times I thought the ball appeared to being going straight, I was told (by an instructor watching) that I was hitting a small draw. Do you have access to an instructor or trackman?

In general you want the clubface to be closed to the path, but open to the target to hit a push draw.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No i don't. I'm learning on a college budget lol. They may be slight draws. They seem to fly very parallel to my foot and shoulder position. They're definitely not pushdraws though. I'm fine hitting it " straight". I just wondered what causes it

So your problem is that you hit the ball too straight? ;-) I'll take that problem any day. P.S. Club face square to target at impact + club path on target line at impact = straight ball down the target line.

You might find this interesting:

http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/why-you-shouldnt-try-to-hit-the-ball-straight-video/

Your ball is not going perfectly straight; it's definitely going to have a tiny bit of tilt, at least, and one's naked eye can't always pick it up. If you want to be sure you can go on a launch monitor that reads your spin axis and horizontal launch angle. That would be the only way to be sure what's going on.

definitely not a problem. Just curious as to why, if default is a pushdraw with an open clubface, my ball doesn't severely hook with a square face. Not that i want to hook, I'm just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrister View Post

No i don't. I'm learning on a college budget lol. They may be slight draws. They seem to fly very parallel to my foot and shoulder position. They're definitely not pushdraws though. I'm fine hitting it " straight". I just wondered what causes it

So your problem is that you hit the ball too straight? ;-) I'll take that problem any day. P.S. Club face square to target at impact + club path on target line at impact = straight ball down the target line.

So I'm not swinging in to out then?

So I'm not swinging in to out then?

Is the straight shot happening with all your clubs, or just the shorter irons..?  How is your ball flight with a 5i..?

To hit a pushdraw the path is in to out and the club face is open but less so than the path. If you are hitting a straight ball down the target line it's because both the face and the path are on the target line. More technical and detailed information at this link. http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Is the straight shot happening with all your clubs, or just the shorter irons..?  How is your ball flight with a 5i..?

Started with pw so i switched to a 3 to test it out. I was hitting them straight with the 3i. Consistently. When i made good contact that is. Sometimes i still try to make the ball go instead of just swinging.

Started with pw so i switched to a 3 to test it out. I was hitting them straight with the 3i. Consistently. When i made good contact that is. Sometimes i still try to make the ball go instead of just swinging.

Welp, I'm no expert, but I can say this. When I was first doing S&T; golf, I hit all push draws with all my clubs, providing I hit them well. I would suggest that you see that you are getting to your left/forward side at impact, and that you are in fact swinging from in to out. Other than that, I don't know what else to say, except maybe on of the swing gurus here will chime in with an explanation.

Welp, I'm no expert, but I can say this. When I was first doing S&T; golf, I hit all push draws with all my clubs, providing I hit them well. I would suggest that you see that you are getting to your left/forward side at impact, and that you are in fact swinging from in to out. Other than that, I don't know what else to say, except maybe on of the swing gurus here will chime in with an explanation.

Did you have your club face slightly open at address? I'm fine hitting straight. Just curious about it.

Did you have your club face slightly open at address? I'm fine hitting straight. Just curious about it.

Nope, if anything it was square. I did use a strong grip for awhile, then changed to a more neutral grip, which allows me to finally hit fades, which I was never able to do before. I still hit draws for the most part, as that is my standard shot. Hey, ain't nuttin wrong with a straight shot. ;-)

You might find this interesting: [URL=http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/why-you-shouldnt-try-to-hit-the-ball-straight-video/]http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/why-you-shouldnt-try-to-hit-the-ball-straight-video/[/URL]

That is rather interesting. I can't say i try to hit it perfectly straight. But since i slice, getting in a straightish direction is awesome. As i practice and figure it out, i will hopefully find a goto shot

That is rather interesting. I can't say i try to hit it perfectly straight. But since i slice, getting in a straightish direction is awesome. As i practice and figure it out, i will hopefully find a goto shot

Do you have anyway to video your swing..? You could post it in the Member Swing forum, and get better comments that way. Slow motion does wonders to analyze a swing.. :-D

Nope, if anything it was square. I did use a strong grip for awhile, then changed to a more neutral grip, which allows me to finally hit fades, which I was never able to do before. I still hit draws for the most part, as that is my standard shot. Hey, ain't nuttin wrong with a straight shot. ;-)

I will admit, it is much better than a slice lol. Hopefully as i get comfortable with the shot and figure it out, i can learn to move it around

Do you have anyway to video your swing..? You could post it in the Member Swing forum, and get better comments that way. Slow motion does wonders to analyze a swing..:-D

I could record it with my digital camera, but i don't know how to slow it down