IGNORED

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?

atb5079
Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Happens First?

• Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
    • Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship

This poll is closed to new votes

Pretty sure he's still thinking about the PGA this year… :D

And $10M for the FedExCup would be nice too…

I can only go by what Rory said. On Saturday night, the very next thing out of his mouth after answering the question about what it would mean to win the Open, was THE MASTERS. Rory most likely could care less about the FedEx Cup.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I voted for Tiger as I think it's very short sighted to ever count him out. Rory's record so far at Augusta National is not impressive, with this year's 8th being by far his highest finish. There is no doubt that when he's on, like this week he's the best player in the world and that could happen at Augusta but there are more players that can contend at the Masters than the other majors due to the non-penal design of the course. Tiger, Phil, Bubba and others always have a strong chance to wear Green.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been a fan of tiger woods since he came about and I was a playing golf as a freshman for my high school. Sad to say just like Palmer and nickalus all good things must come to a end I doubt he will ever when another major Rory is the future of the game

I think Rory completes the Slam. I am not sure Tiger wins another Major, I think he wins more tournaments but not sure about a Major. Tiger's mind right now has got to be working overtime about his swing. He can go along playing pretty good golf and then he hits a tee shot off the planet (at least almost off the golf course). It appears that the putting may be coming back but he's got to wonder when the errant tee shot is coming.

• Administrator

I can only go by what Rory said. On Saturday night, the very next thing out of his mouth after answering the question about what it would mean to win the Open, was THE MASTERS. Rory most likely could care less about the FedEx Cup.

I agree - he could care less. A LOT less. $10M less.

I think you meant to say "couldn't" care less, but your mistake was almost assuredly closer to the truth than what you intended to say.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree - he could care less. A LOT less. $10M less.

I think you meant to say "couldn't" care less, but your mistake was almost assuredly closer to the truth than what you intended to say.

I was thinking the same thing. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

What a sad future it is.. We may never see another player like tiger in our lifetime

I will take the counter-point and say it is an exciting future - to see how the tour evolves. It always evolves, no one wins forever.

Is Rory going to continue to win majors & play on both sides of the pond?

Will Rickie break through and start winning more & step up to win major(s)?

Can Jordan Spieth live up to the hype that he earned as a 19/20 year-old?

I picked Rory, because he doesn't need to fix anything to win the Masters.

Players play, tough players win!

I don't think Tiger will win another major, so I'm going with Rory.

THIS.

And anyone discounting Rory at Augusta I just don't get. His game is perfect for that course.

I agree - he could care less. A LOT less. $10M less. I think you meant to say "couldn't" care less, but your mistake was almost assuredly closer to the truth than what you intended to say.

One of my pet peeves, along with "ir"regardless. Thanks for pointing it out. On topic, I voted Rory. I think Tiger might back into another down the road but not sure it'll happen anytime soon.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Tiger has the numbers on his side, so I'd vote Tiger. Personally I'd love to see it come down to Augusta next year to see which happens.

Whats in my bag:

:nike: SQ Dymo2 Driver

Triumph Fairway Woods

:nike: VRs X Irons

:nike: VR V-Rev Wedge

:mizuno: Putter

For those claiming Tiger has "the numbers on his side" as in he has more chances to get to 15 than Rory to win Masters before Tiger, all I can say is number doesn't matter unless Tiger improves his performance.

Granted, having four months off due to a surgery means he didn't get much practice before the Open, but if he was really serious about chasing Jack's record, I would have thought he would have added another tournament before the Open.  But that's just my way of thinking.  I am sure Tiger has had his reasons for not adding another tournament before the Open.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think TIger may get to 15, but if he does it will be down the road a bit (3-5 years).  Rory will win The Masters within the next three years, though next year will be tough as the buildup to it will be insane.

Tiger is no longer "Tiger", the Championship winning golfer we once knew. What you are seeing now is a much different player. Before you claim I am some sort of heretic, check out these numbers.

The Tiger Championship Era spans 46 majors that occur starting with the 1997 Masters and extending thru  the June 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines. In that time period Tiger never once had a DNP (did not play) and had only 1 missed cut which occurred at Winged Foot immediately following his father’s death. He won 14 times in 46 chances. Let’s look at this time period closely:

14 wins

8 times 2 nd or 3 rd

7 more times he finished 4 th thru 10 th (top 10)

0 DNP (did not play)

1 MC (missed cut)

Tiger’s worst finish besides the lone MC is the only time he ever finished outside the top 30 during his run of championships and that is the 39 th place finish in the 2003 PGA. So most of that time he was either winning or he was on the leaderboard where has fans believed he could and perhaps would win.

Now let’s compare this to The Tiger Post Championship Winning Era. This new era began at the 2008 Open Championship and extends thru today, a period where there have been 27 Majors played. Let’s look closely:

0 wins

2 times top 3

7 more times top 10

6 times DNP

2 times MC

Never once played like the Tiger of Championship winning form. Not for four days anyway.

In the Post Championship era Tiger has nearly been just as likely to not play or miss the cut than to make a top 10. The majors are now being consistently won by players that are younger and healthier than Tiger Woods. Tiger not only did not win one major in the last 27 majors, but his time on leader boards where he even had a chance of winning is getting smaller. Let’s look at the 9 events where he placed in the top 10 during the Post Championship Era.

2009 Masters – Tiger shot his only round in the 60’s on Sunday to claw back into a 4 way tie for 6 th place with guys like John Merritt and Steve Flesch. He was never within 6 shots of the lead while on the course, so he had no real chance to win. Angel Cabrera beat Kenny Perry and Chad Campbell in a playoff.

2009 US Open – Tiger shot himself out of contention playing the final 4 holes of round 1 in +4 to finish with an opening round 74. He played well after that but never clawed back into the top 10 until the final round. Finished in T6. Lucas Glover would win over a badly fading Ricky Barnes and Phil Mickelson.

2009 PGA – Tiger led wire to almost wire, but he faded badly on the back 9 on Sunday and lost to Y.E. Yang. Tiger had a 4 shot lead after 36 holes and lost by 3 after that Sunday 75. This is where his aura of invincibility ended.

2010 Masters – Tiger was in a tie for 3 rd after two rounds but did nothing special on the weekend. Other players posted some low scores and Phil Mickelson ends up at -16. Tiger finished at -11 never threatening on Sunday.

2010 US Open – Played at Pebble Beach, the site of one of Tiger’s historic wins. Tiger starts slowly but shoots himself into contention with a brilliant Saturday 66. Fades on Sunday with a 75 to finish in a T4 position with Phil Mickelson 3 shots behind the winner Graeme McDowell. This event, along with the 2009 PGA Tournament, was probably his best chance in the post championship era, but he shot 75 on Sunday.

2011 Masters – Again Tiger was in position, but a poor Saturday 74 doomed him. He played well on Sunday to claw back to T4, 2 shots behind Jason Day and Adam Scott and 4 behind winner Charle Schwartzel but he was coming from way too far behind to ever get into the lead.

2012 British Open – Tiger was always lurking but never really threatened. He trailed by 3 shots after round 1, 4 shots after round 2, 5 shots after round 3, and 4 at the end. Six different players in the final top 15 shot a score low enough that had Tiger equaled it he would have won, but he shot a Sunday 73 to finish 4 shots behind eventual winner Ernie Els and 3 behind faltering Adam Scott . Tiger was 7 back when he walked off the course.

2013 Masters – Tiger’s 70-73-70-70 was consistent and workman like, but he never really threatened. Finished T4 with Marc Leishman, 2 shots behind Jason Day and 4 behind Angel Cabrera and playoff winner Adam Scott.

2013 British Open – Tiger opens up 69-71 to get into a T2 position behind Angel Jimenez. He then proceeds to shoot 72-74 on the weekend. Phil Mickelson boat raced the field with a Sunday 66 to win the Claret Jug.

The Championship Era Tiger is right there, either winning or getting close most of the time. The Post Championship Era is filled with DNP’s and MC’s, and when Tiger does contend he gets sort of close at the end but never threatens the actual lead. It is mostly claw backs into the top 10 OR a few times a bad Sunday fade from winning contention.

Today we see younger players taking championships. Men in their prime like Adam Scott, Justin Rose, Charl Schwartzel, Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Webb Simpson, and Martin Kaymer.

Tiger is no longer Tiger.

Who is he?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Tiger is now apparently Eldrick, the golfer formerly known as Tiger.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tiger is no longer Tiger. Before you claim I am some sort of heretic, check out these numbers.

The Tiger Championship Era spans 46 majors that occur starting with the 1997 Masters and extending thru  the June 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines. In that time period Tiger never once had a DNP (did not play) and had only 1 missed cut which occurred at Winged Foot immediately following his father’s death. He won 14 times in 46 chances. Let’s look at this time period closely:

14 wins

8 times 2nd or 3rd

7 more times he finished 4th thru 10th (top 10)

0 DNP (did not play)

1 MC (missed cut)

Tiger’s worst finish besides the lone MC is the only time he ever finished outside the top 30 during his run of championships and that is the 39th place finish in the 2003 PGA. So most of that time he was either winning or he was on the leaderboard where has fans believed he could and perhaps would win.

Now let’s compare this to The Tiger Post Championship Winning Era. This new era began at the 2008 Open Championship and extends thru today, a period where there have been 27 Majors played. Let’s look closely:

0 wins

2 times top 3

7 more times top 10

6 times DNP

2 times MC

Never once played like the Tiger of Championship winning form. Not for four days anyway.

In the Post Championship era Tiger has nearly been just as likely to not play or miss the cut than to make a top 10. The majors are now being consistently won by players that are younger and healthier than Tiger Woods. Tiger not only did not win one major in the last 27 majors, but his time on leader boards where he even had a chance of winning is getting smaller. Let’s look at the 9 events where he placed in the top 10 during the Post Championship Era.

2009 Masters – Tiger shot his only round in the 60’s on Sunday to claw back into a 4 way tie for 6th place with guys like John Merritt and Steve Flesch. He was never within 6 shots of the lead while on the course, so he had no real chance to win. Angel Cabrera beat Kenny Perry and Chad Campbell in a playoff.

2009 US Open – Tiger shot himself out of contention playing the final 4 holes of round 1 in +4 to finish with an opening round 74. He played well after that but never clawed back into the top 10 until the final round. Finished in T6. Lucas Glover would win over a badly fading Ricky Barnes and Phil Mickelson.

2009 PGA – Tiger led wire to almost wire, but he faded badly on the back 9 on Sunday and lost to Y.E. Yang. Tiger had a 4 shot lead after 36 holes and lost by 3 after that Sunday 75. This is where his aura of invincibility ended.

2010 Masters – Tiger was in a tie for 3rd after two rounds but did nothing special on the weekend. Other players posted some low scores and Phil Mickelson ends up at -16. Tiger finished at -11 never threatening on Sunday.

2010 US Open – Played at Pebble Beach, the site of one of Tiger’s historic wins. Tiger starts slowly but shoots himself into contention with a brilliant Saturday 66. Fades on Sunday with a 75 to finish in a T4 position with Phil Mickelson 3 shots behind the winner Graeme McDowell. This event, along with the 2009 PGA Tournament, was probably his best chance in the post championship era, but he shot 75 on Sunday.

2011 Masters – Again Tiger was in position, but a poor Saturday 74 doomed him. He played well on Sunday to claw back to T4, 2 shots behind Jason Day and Adam Scott and 4 behind winner Charle Schwartzel but he was coming from way too far behind to ever get into the lead.

2012 British Open – Tiger was always lurking but never really threatened. He trailed by 3 shots after round 1, 4 shots after round 2, 5 shots after round 3, and 4 at the end. Six different players in the final top 15 shot a score low enough that had Tiger equaled it he would have won, but he shot a Sunday 73 to finish 4 shots behind eventual winner Ernie Els and 3 behind faltering Adam Scott . Tiger was 7 back when he walked off the course.

2013 Masters – Tiger’s 70-73-70-70 was consistent and workman like, but he never really threatened. Finished T4 with Marc Leishman, 2 shots behind Jason Day and 4 behind Angel Cabrera and playoff winner Adam Scott.

2013 British Open – Tiger opens up 69-71 to get into a T2 position behind Angel Jimenez. He then proceeds to shoot 72-74 on the weekend. Phil Mickelson boat raced the field with a Sunday 66 to win the Claret Jug.

The Championship Era Tiger is right there, either winning or getting close most of the time. The Post Championship Era is filled with DNP’s and MC’s, and when Tiger does contend he gets sort of close at the end but never threatens the actual lead. It is mostly claw backs into the top 10 OR a few times a bad Sunday fade from winning contention.

Today we see younger players taking championships. Men in their prime like Adam Scott, Justin Rose, Charl Schwartzel, Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Webb Simpson, and Martin Kaymer.

Who is he?

You wrote this in another thread, Ernest, so I am sure you can figure this out. :-)

Quote: Tiger will always be compared to TIGER!!!!! which is a hard standard to meet.

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!