IGNORED

Poker Putts

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does dealing Poker Putt cards to 2 players at a time instead of 1 change the odds of either player getting a good hand?

• Yes
    • No

A few weeks ago we played "Poker Putts" in our Men's League- 1 card was earned for each 2 putt and 2 cards were earned for each 1 putt.  Cards were then used to make the best 5 card poker hand (a RF was the winner with SFs taking 2nd and 3rd).

Most players earned 20-27 cards and they were distributed to players one at a time by shuffling a 52 card deck and giving them the top X cards.  I said, that to save time, they could give two players cards from the same deck (either every other or first X to player 1, then Y to player 2),  as long as the two players combined didn't earn more than 52 cards.  All the guys present thought that doing 2 at a time would somehow change the odds of a player getting a good hand.

What do you think?  Assume the deck is well shuffled after each deal (regardless of whether it is to 1 or 2 players).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

How about you just save us the time and tell us how this thread relates to the other threads and prove that youre the math whiz you have said you are?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How about you just save us the time and tell us how this thread relates to the other threads and prove that youre the math whiz you have said you are?

I have to agree with this.  Instead of us telling you what we think, it would save everybody a lot of time if we just skip to the part where you give us the answer.

I have to agree with this.  Instead of us telling you what we think, it would save everybody a lot of time if we just skip to the part where you give us the answer.

lolol... disarmed

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

I don't get it, how does this relate to lateral water hazards? Are the cards in the hazard or just lost in the rough?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A few weeks ago we played "Poker Putts" in our Men's League- 1 card was earned for each 2 putt and 2 cards were earned for each 1 putt.  Cards were then used to make the best 5 card poker hand (a RF was the winner with SFs taking 2nd and 3rd).

Most players earned 20-27 cards and they were distributed to players one at a time by shuffling a 52 card deck and giving them the top X cards.  I said, that to save time, they could give two players cards from the same deck (either every other or first X to player 1, then Y to player 2),  as long as the two players combined didn't earn more than 52 cards.  All the guys present thought that doing 2 at a time would somehow change the odds of a player getting a good hand.

What do you think?  Assume the deck is well shuffled after each deal (regardless of whether it is to 1 or 2 players).

Just for giggles I went ahead and answered the question with yes it does reduce chances for each player to get the best hand possible. No reason to go into details why, because if you don't understand why on your own it's a lost cause.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Still waiting for @MEfree to make the grand reveal!

The suspense is unbearable.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I said, that to save time, they could give two players cards from the same deck (either every other or first X to player 1, then Y to player 2),  as long as the two players combined didn't earn more than 52 cards.

The reason I said that is that as long as no more than 52 cards are needed, then the odds don't change if you are dealing to 1 or 2 players.

Think of it this way.  Say you are playing 7 card stud (or any poker game)- the odds of you getting dealt a Royal Flush, 4 of Kind, etc, don't change regardless of how many players are at the table- you are still getting 7 (or whatever the # is) out of 52 cards with each random group of 7 cards having the same chances as any other random group 7 of cards.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

The reason I said that is that as long as no more than 52 cards are needed, then the odds don't change if you are dealing to 1 or 2 players.

Think of it this way.  Say you are playing 7 card stud (or any poker game)- the odds of you getting dealt a Royal Flush, 4 of Kind, etc, don't change regardless of how many players are at the table- you are still getting 7 (or whatever the # is) out of 52 cards with each random group of 7 cards having the same chances as any other random group 7 of cards.

it is nice that you found someone to talk to about this.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!