IGNORED

Royal & Ancient Golf Club to Vote on Allowing Females

billchao
Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So you're complaining about something that hasn't happened in 50 years?  Good grief......

No I'm saying this mens only women only whites only crap should have been done with years ago. Golf clubs that don't want to allow women or minorities is a sad and pathetic thing. We should (by this point in time) have moved past all that

And if thats all you took away from my last post you're clearly missing the point!

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

No I'm saying this mens only women only whites only crap should have been done with years ago. Golf clubs that don't want to allow women or minorities is a sad and pathetic thing. We should (by this point in time) have moved past all that

And if thats all you took away from my last post you're clearly missing the point!

You don't think that people should have the right to socialize with whom they choose?

You don't think women should be able to exercise in an environment where they can feel comfortable knowing that they're not being ogled by half the men in the room?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yes people have the right to socialize with whom they choose. a golf club is not for that. Men women want to workout half naked without getting looked at, workout at home. And some should seriously get over themselves if they think thats all people are going to the gym for.

Is golf a sport? Are women not allowed to play to play golf? What about minorities? Are you saying it is ok for clubs to keep minorities out?

yes people have the right to socialize with whom they choose. a golf club is not for that.

Huh?

Men women want to workout half naked without getting looked at, workout at home.

Huh?

Is golf a sport? Are women not allowed to play to play golf?

Yes, golf is a sport.  Yes, women are allowed to play.  There are hundreds of thousands of places that they can, too.   I'm not eligible for membership at a lot of private clubs either.  Nothing wrong with that.......

Are you saying it is ok for clubs to keep minorities out?

I'm saying that a private organization, comprised of individuals, should be allowed to socialize with whomever they choose.  Minority status has nothing to do with it.  I imagine that there may be clubs comprised of one minority or another that don't admit Caucasians.  I'm fine with that too.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I grew up in the old school, members rule, associates tolerated, have you ever played behind 4 women, your day just got ruined. As quoted perfectly good tradition to be ruined.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

What does playing golf have to do with being a mens club or a whites only club? That type of thinking doesn't belong on a golf course or in todays society. The KKK are a whites only club, theres plenty of gangs that are blacks only or latin only. biker gangs don't allow women. I'm just saying golf has nothing (or should have nothing) to do with this style of thinking.

Lets put it this way, how would you feel if florida banned all men from golfing, it is still allowed by women and visitors but male residents of florida couldn't golf in their own state or even city for that matter.

How about the military, do you think women don't belong in the military?

What does playing golf have to do with being a mens club or a whites only club? That type of thinking doesn't belong on a golf course or in todays society. The KKK are a whites only club, theres plenty of gangs that are blacks only or latin only. biker gangs don't allow women. I'm just saying golf has nothing (or should have nothing) to do with this style of thinking.

Lets put it this way, how would you feel if florida banned all men from golfing, it is still allowed by women and visitors but male residents of florida couldn't golf in their own state or even city for that matter.

How about the military, do you think women don't belong in the military?

That's an awful lot of straw men for one post.

First of all, Florida is not a private membership club, neither is the military. I'm skipping the first paragraph completely.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Let's try to keep this discussion about the golf club, please.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

You mean, I can't play in the women's golf league ... WTF?? Just to show my displeasure with that rule, I'm no longer teeing off from the red tees!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Let's try to keep this discussion about the golf club, please.

With all due respect, I believe we are on topic here, the topic is discriminatory practices at the R&A; no? If we can't use examples and draw parallels to other situations it'll be a pretty limited discussion.

I'm done though anyway. I rather discuss golf and girls. I'll leave social political arguments for my real life.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

With all due respect, I believe we are on topic here, the topic is discriminatory practices at the R&A; no? If we can't use examples and draw parallels to other situations it'll be a pretty limited discussion.

Some of the examples are a little out there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I heartily agree with the idea that one should be allowed to socialize with people one chooses.  Where the line should be drawn is when organizations have a formal barrier for a certain group (i.e. women, religion, race, etc...).  The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews should vote to remove the restriction. It will still be within their power to decide who is a member and who is not.

The other issue is whether organizations with significant public exposure should go beyond just removing restrictive membership rules.  I do not like the idea of forcing a private club to accept members just to satisfy some parts of the public who feel every organization must have a membership that includes all identifiable groups.

Brian Kuehn

I think David is expressing himself very well. A private organization should be allowed to associate with whomever they feel. There are consequences for their choices. If they are OK with that, then more power to them. There is a reason the SCOTUS has not weighed in on private club memberships. Because it's none of their damn business and they know it. If you think they are discriminating, then grab your picket sign. But don't get your panties in a wad when I walk past you and call you an idiot. If I were a voting member, I would vote yes or abstain deferring to those who really cared. BTW, I like the idea of men only and women only bathrooms.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The fact that it has 1, taken them this long to address this issue and 2, that they have to put it to a vote is what baffles me. When Valhalla was privately owned and they didn't allow certain groups the PGA stepped in and bought the course. There has been golf clubs that didn't allow women to play yet they hosted a LPGA event (might even be the same course). How can they justify that?

Someone once told me golf stood for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. There was a time I thought he was joking...maybe he was serious.

The fact that it has 1, taken them this long to address this issue and 2, that they have to put it to a vote is what baffles me. When Valhalla was privately owned and they didn't allow certain groups the PGA stepped in and bought the course. There has been golf clubs that didn't allow women to play yet they hosted a LPGA event (might even be the same course). How can they justify that?

Someone once told me golf stood for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. There was a time I thought he was joking...maybe he was serious.

Eh? It's a members club - of course they have to put it to the vote.

As for the anagram etc, I think you're taking that stance a little bit far don't you?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Eh? It's a members club - of course they have to put it to the vote.

As for the anagram etc, I think you're taking that stance a little bit far don't you?

I know they have to put things to a vote in private clubs I'm saying that it has taken this long baffles me. As for the anagram, he told me thats where the name golf came from. I'm not taking it too far I'm quoting what was said to me. Maybe golf didn't allow women to play 400+ years ago. Has this club ever allowed an LPGA event? or have they had PGA events where women spectators were allowed to buy tickets to and able to come and watch?

I think there are two different arguments going on here.

The first question, should a private club be allowed to restrict its membership? Of course the answer to that is yes. It's private. So long as it is funded and operated by the personal memberships of those involved and no public funds support it, it's nobody's business.

The second question, ought, in this day and age, there be golf clubs that that bar women members? Brown Coast's argument seems to be that it is a backward and outdated way of thinking. I tend to agree, particularly with golf on the decline as is often discussed here.

All that said, if you don't want me, if my money isn't good enough for you, then I damn sure don't want you either.  Somebody else can have my time, money and business, and you can sod off.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

What does "sod off" mean? Whatever it means, I think I like it. :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!