IGNORED

Big Cup hole-in-one

Captincoby
Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is a hole-in-one in a big cup still a hole-in-one?

• Yes
    • No

Hello all. First time poster, long time reader. Last season I lipped out a hole-in-one in a big cup tournament.  Even though it didn't go in the experience was still pretty exciting and have told a few of my fellow golfers about it. Each time I have told the story they have asked "does that still count?"  I would have to say its a matter of opinion and would like to hear what you guys think.  Would you say you had a hole-in-one if it was with an oversized cup?

No. The absurdly small size of a regulation golf hole is what makes a true hole in one the mythical beast that it is. But hey if it still says 1 on the card it is still a heck an accomplishment.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello all. First time poster, long time reader. Last season I lipped out a hole-in-one in a big cup tournament.  Even though it didn't go in the experience was still pretty exciting and have told a few of my fellow golfers about it. Each time I have told the story they have asked "does that still count?"  I would have to say its a matter of opinion and would like to hear what you guys think.  Would you say you had a hole-in-one if it was with an oversized cup?

Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Welcome to the forum ... The traditionalist will say no ... I would just say I got a hole-in-hole during a big cup turnament ... Let the listener label it how they want to ... Hell I wish I could get that close ... I usually lay up somewhere off the green on par 3's. So not an issue for me ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Nope, I wouldn't count a big-holer. I'd mention it in discussions about aces, but in good conscience, I wouldn't consider it to be a true hole-in-one.

Nope, nice shot though. Hell, I made one from 99 yards with a regulation cup but I don't count it cuz it was at a par 3 course.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Nope, nice shot though.

Hell, I made one from 99 yards with a regulation cup but I don't count it cuz it was at a par 3 course.

Elaborate when you say "didn't count"

I think I would take Isukgolf's perspective- tell people about it and let them decide for themselves.  Yesterday, I made an "eagle" two at a scramble- my drive and my second shot, but I picked up my original ball and played the 2nd from a preferred lie after my partners hit.  I don't talk about eagles often, but if anyone asks me if I have eagled that hole, I will tell them the circumstances.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Elaborate when you say "didn't count" I think I would take Isukgolf's perspective- tell people about it and let them decide for themselves.  Yesterday, I made an "eagle" two at a scramble- my drive and my second shot, but I picked up my original ball and played the 2nd from a preferred lie after my partners hit.  I don't talk about eagles often, but if anyone asks me if I have eagled that hole, I will tell them the circumstances.

Nice. What I mean is when asked if I've ever made an ace, I say no but I did once hole one from 99 yards at a par 3 course. Some people say it should count but I just can't legitimize in my own head.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'd have to say no, but I would still tell folks I had an ace in that particular "Big Cup" tournament. Especially if it were a sanctioned event by some ruling body. Any  score card with a ("1")  on it deserves to be framed, and hung on a wall some where. I have the score cards of my first Ace, Eagle, Birdy, and Par put a way.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Would you say you had a hole-in-one if it was with an oversized cup?

The National Golf Foundation would put an asterisk * beside our name, just as professional baseball would do if we had hit 400 home runs while using steroids.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The National Golf Foundation would put an asterisk [SIZE=16px][COLOR=800000]*[/COLOR][/SIZE] beside our name, just as professional baseball would do if we had hit 400 home runs while using steroids.

Wish this were the case, don't think Bonds, ARod, Sosa, or McGwire have asterisks but they should.

It is what it is. Certainly, nothing to be ashamed about. I would not personally count it, but would not look down on someone for considering it a hole in one. I have wanted to try a course set up with the big holes to see what it is like to play.

• Administrator

I voted yes. It's still an awfully damn hard thing to do, and hey, if you think the answer is "yes" then who is anyone else to tell you "no"?

I don't think I'd count it myself, but it'd still be great fun to see.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I voted yes. It's still an awfully damn hard thing to do, and hey, if you think the answer is "yes" then who is anyone else to tell you "no"?

I don't think I'd count it myself, but it'd still be great fun to see.

Not trying to nitpick but I'm confused as to why you voted "yes".  We often talk on here about golf as a gentleman's game and importance of self policing of the rules.  The Rules of Golf define a "hole" as;

Quote:

The “ hole ’’ must be 4 1⁄4 inches (108 mm) in diameter and at least 4 inches (101.6 mm) deep. If a lining is used, it must be sunk at least 1 inch (25.4 mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so; its outer diameter must not exceed 4 1⁄4 inches (108 mm).

While it is still a great achievement, if all our golf achievements are based on playing by the ROG, then in theory it's a hole in one but not a hole in one in accordance with the Rules of Golf which is what I believe the OP was asking.

Joe Paradiso

I don't understand these types of questions.  What do you mean by "counts?"  Counts towards what?  As far as I know, it's not being logged in a registry somewhere at PGA or USGA headquarters with some "Official" stamp on it, is it??  And it's not bowling where your 300 game has to be sanctioned before you can get your ring.  Nobody is giving out awards for your hole-in-one, so it counts as much as you want it to count.  That said, I voted yes because, if it was me, the next time somebody asked me about holes-in-one after I did something like this my answer would be different than it is now.  Now, my answer would be "I have one."  After having done this, my answer would be something more like "I have one normal hole-in-one, and I also have one in a 'big cup' tournament that isn't nearly as impressive, but hey, it's still a one."

It counts as a hole in one in a 'big cup' format

It doesn't count as a hole in one in regular golf

so what - pretty cool anyway

aside - par 3 course or not - 99 yards or not - that's a hole in one

This made me think about my first eagle (I've had two now in the last year, but the FIRST one I forgot about).  You let me remember it - an asterisk moment as a result of this thread...THANKS....

my first "eagle" is from a long time ago at Andrews AFB (mid-90's?) - one of the courses.  It was a par 5, we were playing scrambles and the best tee shot we had (not mine) went right and into the junk.  I hit a hard bend to the green and also sank the really long and turny putt.  I know it's not official, but it was pretty cool anyway.

Bill - 

In 45+ years of playing, I've never had an ace. I can think of at least 2 that would have gone in a 15 inch hole in the last 6 months alone though..... Just sayin'..... I don't know that I could afford the bar bills though! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!