IGNORED

How to Make a Centered Hip Turn

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really good here.

Here's the full sequence. #LeftPelvicTilt #GroundForce

A video posted by Jeff Smith (@radargolfpro) on

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ok, the guy in the video has a great swing and central hip turn.

what i cannot understand is that if you are in the correct neutral equilibrium at setup mode ,why would you have a tendency to sway in the first place?

it almost seems like something else is actually "forcing" you to deviate during the backswing.

i have no idea if this applies to the majority of golfers out there, but i can confirm that it applies to my own swing dilemmas.

anyway, at least i think i am really improving now, albeit at only one step at a time.

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

6 hours ago, mythbuster said:

ok, the guy in the video has a great swing and central hip turn.

what i cannot understand is that if you are in the correct neutral equilibrium at setup mode ,why would you have a tendency to sway in the first place?

it almost seems like something else is actually "forcing" you to deviate during the backswing.

i have no idea if this applies to the majority of golfers out there, but i can confirm that it applies to my own swing dilemmas.

anyway, at least i think i am really improving now, albeit at only one step at a time.

I think it is a couple of things. First, you are moving the club back during the backswing and this shifts your center of gravity a bit. Some will then shift there weight back and even move to compensate. Second, sports like baseball encourage this because it helps in hitting. Many of us played baseball or softball and it carried over. Lastly, golf advice like, "Load the right side" has been around forever. It gets incorrectly interpreted as sway to the right by some.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, mythbuster said:

Set-up plays a role but it's mostly a static position (doesn't require any athleticism) while the swing is dynamic. Also a common flaw with a lot of golfers is that they don't turn their hips enough on the backswing, so the hips will tend to sway back.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

I really like that video. Mvmac you commented that I had a good pivot on my last swing thread but something else goes wrong and I'm not sure what it is. I'm definitely going to film my swing from the back and do a side by side with this video. I think this view can offer a lot of good information.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I really like that video. Mvmac you commented that I had a good pivot on my last swing thread but something else goes wrong and I'm not sure what it is. I'm definitely going to film my swing from the back and do a side by side with this video. I think this view can offer a lot of good information.

Yeah that's a great view to see how the hips/pivot are working.

Mike McLoughlin

Speed day. 6-iron. 195 carry. ✌?

A video posted by Brian Creghan (@briancreghan) on

Mike McLoughlin

My last swing lesson was all about proper hip turn.   I have gone through this thread, too.  As usual, picture illustration is very helpful - thanks!   I had one full practice session with the new swing tweak.   My misses are now more to the left (draws).   I must have slowed down my swing tempo to get the swing right.  I hit well short of normal distance for majority of my shots.    I am looking forward to two more days of practice before the weekend's rounds.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I put in a lot of mirror work with a few video checks.  I get the lines ok but forgetting to shift my weight.  A lot of my misses are my clubhead hitting an inch or two behind the ball. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I put in a lot of mirror work with a few video checks.  I get the lines ok but forgetting to shift my weight.  A lot of my misses are my clubhead hitting an inch or two behind the ball. 

As you're doing the mirror work, continue the "swing" all the way to 7, or even 9. Allow the weight to "fall" forward on the left side after you do the backswing piece correctly.

Mike McLoughlin

On 11/16/2015, 5:10:28, mvmac said:

As you're doing the mirror work, continue the "swing" all the way to 7, or even 9. Allow the weight to "fall" forward on the left side after you do the backswing piece correctly.

Thanks, Mike.   I am getting the hang of it.   I am using a wall exercise in front of mirror and that is helping.  The awkwardness I felt of the new hip turn is slowly, surely going away. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 weeks later...

Today at range, I focused on dipping my shoulder to force proper hip turn.  Otherwise, I don't fully turn more oft than not.  I hit more shots spot on today than usual.  Ball dispersion seemed narrower.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my effort to make a good hip turn continues.   It works in front of mirror but can't do them consistently without it.   As you know, it's hard to carry a mirror during a round, hence, my instructor told me to focus practicing without one for now.  But, I keep going back and forth.   If I don't feel I make good hip turn, I go back to the mirror work to check.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 weeks later...

Hip turn is coming along fine albeit slowly.   But my arms keep going up on back swing instead of turning with hip/shoulder in straight line.   I made an effort to keep my right elbow glued to my rib area and it paid immediate dividend.  

Will post on My Swing Thread soon - need to stop being lazy, and just get out and do it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked on this yesterday on the range. Very athletic and powerful move back and through the ball. Really helps with adding power to my drives. Thanks for the video, MVMAC.

Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!