IGNORED

2014 WGC Bridgestone Invitational Discussion Thread

DCrotty22
Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

J.B. Holmes playing well. Could be a dark horse next week playing in his home state. Played well at the Ryder Cup in Valhalla 6 years ago. Was picked by Captain Azinger because of his knowledge of Valhalla and went 2-0. You know he's been waiting for this PGA Championship for a long time.

Come on Kenny Perry

Riley

Tiger really struggled with his driver again, yesterday.  Is it driver yips (mental) or do some of you guys see a mechanical flaw in his swing.  I'd have to think he and Foley are working on it, but the results are showing.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger really struggled with his driver again, yesterday.  Is it driver yips (mental) or do some of you guys see a mechanical flaw in his swing.  I'd have to think he and Foley are working on it, but the results are showing.

I watched an analyst critique his swings and ironically, I have the exact same issues as Tiger does.....this is a first. His driver swing and iron swing are two different animals. His head and body movement are excessive with the driver which is probably due to a need to murder the golf ball which is similar to what I do. This results in a mish mash of his swing sequence. I feel his pain.

It creates a double miss and difficult to diagnose on the course for me.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Is tigers driver swing really shorter then it has been in the past? I keep hearing golf channel guys and announcers saying that it is and that it's somehow hurting him.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I watched an analyst critique his swings and ironically, I have the exact same issues as Tiger does.....this is a first. His driver swing and iron swing are two different animals. His head and body movement are excessive with the driver which is probably due to a need to murder the golf ball which is similar to what I do. This results in a mish mash of his swing sequence. I feel his pain.

It creates a double miss and difficult to diagnose on the course for me.

I agree, his mechanics look very different with driver, even compared to his 3W.  Faldo commented that usually he could tell what a golfer was trying to do by observing their address and swing but he was clueless watching Tiger what type of swing and ball flight Tiger was attempting.

He also seems to have shortened his backswing as the driver isn't reaching parallel at the top of his backswing like it used to.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, his mechanics look very different with driver, even compared to his 3W.  Faldo commented that usually he could tell what a golfer was trying to do by observing their address and swing but he was clueless watching Tiger what type of swing and ball flight Tiger was attempting.

He also seems to have shortened his backswing as the driver isn't reaching parallel at the top of his backswing like it used to.

That was funny when Nick said he wanted him to raise a flag to tell him what shot he is hitting.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Is tigers driver swing really shorter then it has been in the past? I keep hearing golf channel guys and announcers saying that it is and that it's somehow hurting him.

Yeah it's definitely shorter. I don't know if it's a permanent change or just a temporary one to protect the back. But the bottom line is he's just missing that explosion he used to have and that I know he commented on a couple weeks ago saying that it will come with time.

That being said, he's still making progress. He played better at the British than he did at Congressional, and so far this week he's playing better than he did at the British. So at the very least, he's going in the right direction.

Someone throw some water on Justin Rose to cool him down. Guy is starting to look like Martin Kaymer did in May and June. Hopefully he cools down by the Ryder Cup. Can Rose take the #1 spot in the World with a win this week?

Tiger just had a 363yd drive on 8. Maybe his distance isnt an issue afterall. But then he just hit a very pedestrian approach shot.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I was at the Bridgestone yesterday and was there last year and a few years before. I watched TW warm up and play several times through the years. FWIW, TW just didn't seem to have the same swagger and confidence he had in the past. It's funny to hear him be interviewed because he'll never admit he's unsure about his swing, but I wonder if he realizes this surgery might take longer than he thought to recover from.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

That was the worst chip I've ever seen, Phil! Somehow, he managed to save par.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Good to see Schwartzel playing well. To me, there's not a bigger underachiever than him so far in his career. He has so much talent in his game, he should have more than just one win in the USA (which happens to be a major). He's too good. That swing is perfect. Putter's been his biggest downfall.

But the bottom line is he's just missing that explosion he used to have and that I know he commented on a couple weeks ago saying that it will come with time.

What explosiveness are you talking about? [quote name="atb5079" url="/t/76196/2014-wgc-bridgestone-invitational-discussion-thread/90#post_1030830"]Tiger just had a 363yd drive on 8. Maybe his distance isnt an issue afterall. But then he just hit a very pedestrian approach shot. [/quote] 363 yards isn't explosive enough for you?

Colin P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

What explosiveness are you talking about?

Quote:
The strength and the explosiveness is going to come back with time.”  - Tiger Woods

^ A quote from Tiger Woods earlier this week. He talks about how he's just starting to get to the stage where he's working on it. Once he starts getting that back, you'll see him drive it much better.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140728-tiger-woods-says-he-hopes-to-play-deutsche-bank-ryder-cup.ece

Lack of consistency is his problem not lack of distance. Seems to be mostly in his noodle. Chasing records seems to get in his head, needs to just play golf.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!