IGNORED

Is my shaft not stiff enough?

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After going to a driver fitting this morning (it only lasted around 45 minutes, yay for migraines) I can say that it most definitely does make a difference at least for me. I have a regular flex ProLaunch Red in my G10 currently, and a driver SS of 110-113 (measured using flight scope). I went for the fitting because my driver and 3-wood are terribly inconsistent clubs for me, both with the regular flex in them. During testing the fitter would hand me a club with a shaft in it without telling me what it was (avoiding the placebo effect) and I would hit it. I found that, regardless of the clubhead, the extra stiff shaft in a lighter weight would fit me better than the others. Ultimately the testing gave the best consistency results from a Diamana Blue X-flex shaft. The difference for me came in terms of consistency rather than distance. I did gain distance, but that was mainly due to lower spin rates (they went from 3500 to around 2000 or less) which also helped with accuracy as well (less spin = straighter). With my current shaft I always feel like I'm hitting a fade to avoid my snap hook miss, but the stiffer shaft let me swing more freely. As a caveat, I do tend to load the shaft quite a bit according to the Mizuno shaft fitter gadget, so that can play a role in why the regular flex shaft was all over the place for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hopefully yes, I will get around to putting my swing on here, but it's strange because my longest iron is my 4 iron, and I'm hitting that very well, it just starts when I get to the regular flex, which is why I am suspicious. When I got my SLDR, it was about 1 month ago, maybe a little less. I went to dicks sporting goods looking for something different. I hit the stiff and regular, and they seemed about the same, the ball wasn't launching at the same angle though , it was a little lower. I feel as though now I have gotten stronger because then I also only hit my 7 iron 160ish yards. We got the regular , and I hit it really good over the next couple of weeks, and it's just now this week I am hitting my irons really straight , when a month ago I struggled a little bit. But now my woods are hooking. My hybrid is a little better, and my 3 wood a little worse and driver about every ball is a hook. My hybrid though still hooks. The loft on the sldr is 10.5 and that guy said more loft better so he set it to higher so it's a 12 degree regular flex. The ping g30 is actually out today, and if the numbers are better with stiff I can consider going to that. And thanks for the help guys. And the only thing about the mark cross field guy is he is a professional , so his tempo and stuff is all dialed in. I am talking about me, and I am shooting around the mid 70s, but if this hook continues, it could go to the 80s haha

You may be looking at the wrong variable. Your irons are straight, but you start bending the ball with your hybrid and it gets progressively worse with your 3-wood and driver. Those clubs are also progressively longer in length: your hybrid is likely 2" longer than your 4i, with additional 2" jumps to the 3w and D. Search spin axis here on the forum. Essentially, the longer a club is the more your plane is going to generate a tilted spin axis. You're 5'5" tall. Given your distance numbers, I'm guessing your swing plane is pretty flat, a fact that's pronounced with a 45.5"+ driver. A tilted spin axis produced by a flat swing (without proper compensations) is much more likely to explain your hooks with the long clubs than a difference in shaft flex.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@k-troop Yes I know they are longer , but I can even fade my irons right now if I need to, they have no sign of a drawish hook, but the regular flex clubs do all kinds of things like moonball or a hook. Andy swing is defiantly not flat, I am working to not make it as steep. I will put a picture of my position at the top. My arms go above the shoulder line, showing I am steep.

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!