IGNORED

2014 Barracuda Discussion Thread

RJH999
Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Noticed there wasn't a thread for this, so decided to make one.This tournament really is the other tournament this week-also known as the tournament of has-beens. The Barracuda Championship(formerly known as the Reno/Tahoe Open) is the only tournament using the modified stableford format on the PGA Tour. Notable has-beens in the field include John Daly, David Duval, Paddy, Mike Weir, David Toms, and fluke major winners Todd Hamilton & Rich Beem. First round leaderboard 1-Nick Watney +18 T2-Geogilvy +16 T2-Tim Wilkinson +16 T4 Martin Laird +13 T4 Chad Campbell +13 T6 Kevin Chappell +12 T6 John Rollins +12 T6 John Huh +12 T6 Wes Roach +12 Should be a thrilling tournament....Jk.

Riley

Watney is really the only guy playing that stands out to not seem to belong there.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I actually enjoyed watching this tournament today... maybe because the camera's were so close to the players I could get a good look at their swings. It seemed like no one was there. No these guys are not the top players in the game right now, but they are still professional golfers.

Nick Watney has a three point lead on Geogilvy(Not to be confused with Joegilvy) after round two with Wes Roach, Tommy Gainey, and Kiwi Wilkinson right behind. Jeff Overton, Greg Chalmers, and Rory Sabbbbatini gained 13 points, while John Daly lost twelve points{:(}and Aaron Baddeley lost eleven.

Riley

Kinda sucks that all of the stableford events have generally been at no-name courses and at a bad slot in the schedule recently.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kinda sucks that all of the stableford events have generally been at no-name courses and at a bad slot in the schedule recently.

I agree. I mean who really cares about the Zurich Classic or Greenbrier Classic, one of those should be stableford to add a little interest instead of plugging it to compete against a WGC. Or maybe a skins game. I always loved the ol' skins game during silly season

Riley

I agree. I mean who really cares about the Zurich Classic or Greenbrier Classic, one of those should be stableford to add a little interest instead of plugging it to compete against a WGC. Or maybe a skins game. I always loved the ol' skins game during silly season

I wish they would do a 2 on 2 scramble. Players can pick their partner. Be fun to see that.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Geogilvy fired a 5 under 67 to gain 12 points and get to 35 points. He holds a 3 point lead over Nick Watney & Jason Allred. Geoff hasn't won for a few years, so it would be nice to see him get a win, plus the added benefit of a PGA Championship birth. Two time Us Open champion Lee Janzen fired a +13 round to get within get within 7, searching for his first PGA Tour win in over 15 years. John Mallinger had a hell of a day shooting 61 to gain 19 points, including a hole in one on the eleventh.

Riley

Seems like lucky bounces can offer giant rewards here.  I mean 8 points for a double eagle, 5 points for eagle. Some guys make only 8 pts per day  via normal routes.

I recall the ladies tourney in Beijing china where the local fav hit her final shot towards the pond, it hit the rocks and bounded up next to the cup for eagle putt and win.  Stacy Lewis looked on in disgust. That  was a huge stroke of luck.

The course in Reno looks really nice but very penal if missing the greens.

Geogilvy fired a 6 under 66 to claim his 8th PGA Tour title and first since 2010. At +49, he claimed a 5 point lead over Justin Hicks. Jonathan Byrd and Johnny Huh finished T3, while Rod Pampling finished solo 5th

Riley

• Administrator

Hopefully Geoff can get back to playing good golf.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!