IGNORED

I Did Not Qualify for Texas Mid Am (But I had Fun)

atxpkrgolf
Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wanted to make a thread before the tournament but all I could think of was that other guy who played really bad and the way the thread went. I ve never played a tourney before and I was really scared. When I got to the first tee (with guy I introduced to golf and told about this website but he hasn't joined yet, just lurked) with my Caddie I met one of playing partners who had like 10 family members walking with him. My goal was to play as good as I'm capable of and to not make anything worse than bogey nor to 3 putt. I whiffed on all 3 with 2 three jacks and a dbl bogey on 9 after blowing it in water. I ended up shooting 41-37 & missed cut by 5 shots. I am of course upset because I can easily remember 5 shots I could have saved but such is golf. My playing partners shot 83 & 95 but I was very impressed with kid that shot 95. He 3 jacked it from 5 feet on 10 yet still gave me a sincere "good birdie". He hit the ball a ton, several drives going 330 + and his long drive going 347, he just hit it all over the place and this course was very tight. If u want full card u can get it at txga.org and look up midam results from today at sky creek ranch, my last name is Floyd . I have several things to work on with putting at top of the list. I had 2 birdies and left 4 birdies short which is obv atrocious. I really am glad that I took the leap to play a competitive round and looking fwd to playing more tournaments. Just thought I'd share.

That's awesome that you played. I think that is a very respectable score for your first tournament.

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's awesome that you played. I think that is a very respectable score for your first tournament.

I'm guessing that the qualifier for the TX Mid-Am wasn't his first tournament..... ;-) OP..... Tough day, but 41/37 beats 37/41! ;-) Thanks for the post. :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm guessing that the qualifier for the TX Mid-Am wasn't his first tournament..... ;-) OP..... Tough day, but 41/37 beats 37/41! ;-) Thanks for the post. :-)

Definitely was my very first tournament for stroke play. I've played in scrambles before but this was my first one on my own. And I agree that 41-37 beats 37-41.

Really?! That's starting with the big boys! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Congrats! It takes balls to go out there with the best and as long as you know where u lost strokes you have room to improve.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Really?!

That's starting with the big boys!

Thx pal.  I decided on this (have to have 8.4 index or lower) instead of with the Amateur which I think was 3.4 or something.  Im sad that it's the end of the season for tournaments but excited to work on my game.

For those who care  I piped 3wood down middle (250 which is as good as I hit it) on #1 and got outdrove by 50 yrds from older man who also hit 3w.  He hit the downslope but I was thinking "what am I doing here"  I then was very nervous over my 15 foot birdie putt and left it right in the heart a foot short which would be the theme for the day.  I made 4-5 really bad bogeys (2 were just horrendous chips and I 2 putted from 50-60 feet) and made a bad double when I should never miss that Fairway right where the water is and play safe down left side.  I kinda wish I shot 74 & missed qualifying by 1 and part of me is glad I didn't miss by just 1. I can't explain it but that's how I feel

For those who care  I piped 3wood down middle (250 which is as good as I hit it) on #1 and got outdrove by 50 yrds from older man who also hit 3w.  He hit the downslope but I was thinking "what am I doing here"

This was me the first time I played tournament golf. I was a 24 handicap paired up with two scratch golfers (who were both 13, I was 11) and I hit my tee shot first. It went kind of flat down the middle, maybe 200 or so. The first kid steps up and I saw how far over my head I was. The thing just kept going and going compared to mine, with a much higher trajectory and finishing 50 yards ahead of me. The second kid steps up and does the same thing, and I kind of did a double-take.

It was eye-opening though, and I'm glad I got shocked like that (I shot 116-108 compared to their +4 and +2 totals) because it motivated me to work a lot harder on my game in some effort to try and compete.

Good for you taking the risk!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Good job on your first tournament! Some guys get really nervous and shoot way over their regular handicap. Seems like your nerves didn't get in the way and likely do better next time around

Good job on your first tournament! Some guys get really nervous and shoot way over their regular handicap. Seems like your nerves didn't get in the way and likely do better next time around

Thanks!!!  I was definitely nervous on 1st tee but after that not too much. I was actually thinking (Don't miss the ball) on the 1st tee which is prolly not a good swing thought. I didn't play to my potential but it wasn't nerves and more hitting some dumb shots. Maybe next time I won't be scared and make a sweat thread beforehand

Thanks!!!  I was definitely nervous on 1st tee but after that not too much. I was actually thinking (Don't miss the ball) on the 1st tee which is prolly not a good swing thought. I didn't play to my potential but it wasn't nerves and more hitting some dumb shots. Maybe next time I won't be scared and make a sweat thread beforehand

Don't worry, my first day of high school tryouts were the same way on the tee. Except I barely didn't miss the ball, and topped it short of the ladies tees. Someone said, "You know the rule about tee shots that short..." and the coach just laughed.

I am playing on Monday at Escondido (though I live here in DFW area). My wife and I are traveling down with some friends for a long weekend. I've played a few competitive rounds but never qualified for anything. Never played in a Texas mid am either. Do most people have a caddy or ride in a cart? 77 is a solid round if that's your 1st competitive round. Mine was much worse. It was the USGA Mid Am in '08 (I think). I was so nervous, when I set my driver behind my ball on #1, it was shaking like I had been drinking for 3 days. I had to step away twice to calm myself down. The good part was that I saw parts of the golf course no one knew existed ;-) Really frustrated me. Especially when I got back to my home course and my buds gave me a good but kickin' about it. Came close in '10 but hit it ob on 18...on my way to an 11...no lie!! My wife walked up and said 'honey...I thought you were good at golf'! Needless to say, she's not been invited back...

I am playing on Monday at Escondido (though I live here in DFW area). My wife and I are traveling down with some friends for a long weekend.

I've played a few competitive rounds but never qualified for anything. Never played in a Texas mid am either. Do most people have a caddy or ride in a cart?

77 is a solid round if that's your 1st competitive round. Mine was much worse. It was the USGA Mid Am in '08 (I think). I was so nervous, when I set my driver behind my ball on #1, it was shaking like I had been drinking for 3 days. I had to step away twice to calm myself down. The good part was that I saw parts of the golf course no one knew existed Really frustrated me. Especially when I got back to my home course and my buds gave me a good but kickin' about it. Came close in '10 but hit it ob on 18...on my way to an 11...no lie!! My wife walked up and said 'honey...I thought you were good at golf'! Needless to say, she's not been invited back...

You'll love Escondido first of all.  They also have a last chance qualifier which for sure will be at Escondido the day before the Amateur starts.  I saw maybe 10 walkers and 40 riders im guessing and most people had caddies that I saw. I had a buddy ride with me just so I had someone to talk to.  The guy I played with that shot 95 had 15 relatives walking with him and this was his 1st tournament. He shot 54 on front and they all left except his father in law caddie and his father.  He was definitely shaking on the first tee and flubbed his second shot. He then missed a 2 foot putt for a smooth 7 after all was said and done. I don't think u could tell I was nervous but I most certainly was.

One of my regular playing partners I talked into playing it as well and he is a 8 handicap and did it mostly for fun.  We had a get together tonight and some real good golfers were present (Anthony Kim being the best) and someone asked him what he shot. AK broke out in tears when he said 92 and everyone gave him a ton of shit for it. To add on this guy is 5 10  240 and was wearing a bright orange shirt so they said he looked like Rickie Fowler if he shot 30 shots worse and ate McDonalds for 10 yrs.  It was some good ribbing and I m glad it wasn't me.

As far your wife is concerned the wife of the guy who shot 95 had an expression I'll never forget when he told her his score. I hope you qualify. Please PM me your details so I can watch and keep tabs on you in your quest

One of my regular playing partners I talked into playing it as well and he is a 8 handicap and did it mostly for fun.  We had a get together tonight and some real good golfers were present (Anthony Kim being the best) and someone asked him what he shot. AK broke out in tears when he said 92 and everyone gave him a ton of shit for it. To add on this guy is 5 10  240 and was wearing a bright orange shirt so they said he looked like Rickie Fowler if he shot 30 shots worse and ate McDonalds for 10 yrs.  It was some good ribbing and I m glad it wasn't me.

Wait, Anthony Kim shot 92 or your playing partner shot 92? I wouldn't be terribly surprised either way, with the recent statement of Kim not even playing recreationally recently.

Haha!! That's awesome. It's says only 2 carts per group. Did your caddy walk? What if all 3 have a caddy and there's only for 4 spots on the carts? I really don't mind walking as I kinda like not chasing other peoples balls around...especially if they are playing poorly ;-) I have a few buddies that play professionally, one on the PGA tour and he's given me a few pointers to get settled in when you first arrive: 1 - arrive 1hr 15 mins before tee time. 2 - head to putting green and only putt long putts for green speed and missed shots 3 - driving range. Find targets using every other club and hit the most balls with your driver and mid irons 4 - chip and bunker 5 - short putts 6 - drink heavily when done! Seems legit...;-)

Haha!! That's awesome. It's says only 2 carts per group. Did your caddy walk? What if all 3 have a caddy and there's only for 4 spots on the carts? I really don't mind walking as I kinda like not chasing other peoples balls around...especially if they are playing poorly ;-) I have a few buddies that play professionally, one on the PGA tour and he's given me a few pointers to get settled in when you first arrive: 1 - arrive 1hr 15 mins before tee time. 2 - head to putting green and only putt long putts for green speed and missed shots 3 - driving range. Find targets using every other club and hit the most balls with your driver and mid irons 4 - chip and bunker 5 - short putts 6 - drink heavily when done! Seems legit...;-)

For guy above u my partner shot 92. AK could shoot 70 with 1 arm on these set ups, lol. And we had 3 carts. They just state that because they don't want more than 2 per group but we had 3 in our group. They charged us $20/cart . Gl . Love the pre game routine and followed it to a "T". Looool

Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!