IGNORED

2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If it's not Rory, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this but here goes...I hope it's Sergio. There, I said it, and it feels good. Can you imagine what that would do for Sergio's psyche? Can you imagine the look of pure joy that will be on his face as he sinks that last putt on 18 to finally claim his first Major.

Anyone but PMRARJ for me!

Riley

If it's not Rory, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this but here goes...I hope it's Sergio. There, I said it, and it feels good. Can you imagine what that would do for Sergio's psyche? Can you imagine the look of pure joy that will be on his face as he sinks that last putt on 18 to finally claim his first Major.

Aha! I always knew you were a Sergio fanboy. :-P

I think he has a shot. I'm still pulling for JB Holmes though. I need some golf balls for Erie in a few weeks.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never really liked Sergio's act earlier, but I've come around to him. He's playing well, but not winning much. I would like to see him win a major.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I never really liked Sergio's act earlier, but I've come around to him. He's playing well, but not winning much. I would like to see him win a major.

I picked SG in the contest because right after the BO, I was thinking McIlroy's not gonna win 2 majors in one year. I dunno though, now McIlroy is looking like the better pick.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I picked SG in the contest because right after the BO, I was thinking McIlroy's not gonna win 2 majors in one year. I dunno though, now McIlroy is looking like the better pick.

I think Rory is a solid pick for the PGA but am I the only that feel like Sergio choked more than Rory won yesterday? I think Sergo and Adam Scott were the only 2 over par that finished in the top 19. Also Sergio had only 2 birdies in the last 27 holes.  He just struggles with the lead.  Im pulling for Rose I love his iron game.

I think Rory is a solid pick for the PGA but am I the only that feel like Sergio choked more than Rory won yesterday? I think Sergo and Adam Scott were the only 2 over par that finished in the top 19. Also Sergio had only 2 birdies in the last 27 holes.  He just struggles with the lead.  Im pulling for Rose I love his iron game.

I wouldn't say he "choked" I would say he "Jim Furyked it". Didn't choke or play awful, just couldn't make any birdies.

Riley

With you. I don't "like" Sergio, but I'd like to see him win one. He's the sort of talent that I hope doesn't get lost to history.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I wouldn't say he "choked" I would say he "Jim Furyked it". Didn't choke or play awful, just couldn't make any birdies.

I agree but everyone else didn't seem to have a problem making at least a few birdies. Phil shot a 62. I think he had more birdies yesterday than he has had all year in one round.

As far as I could tell, he left a lot of putts out there. He hit 75% GIR in the final round.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think Rory's birdie-birdie-birdie start startled Sergio. You have to give Rory credit for applying the pressure and not letting up.

What will be interesting to see going forward in situations like this is if we start seeing "The Tiger Effect" in Rory....that is a little bit of the Intimidation factor of playing with a dominant #1 player in the world. Sergio looks great all week, then plays with a guy he knows is better than him that puts on the gas pedal early and gets shook up. Saw it a little bit with Fowler vs. Rory at The Open. While he finished 2nd, he was never in it like Sergio was in the group ahead.

I think Rory's birdie-birdie-birdie start startled Sergio. You have to give Rory credit for applying the pressure and not letting up.

What will be interesting to see going forward in situations like this is if we start seeing "The Tiger Effect" in Rory....that is a little bit of the Intimidation factor of playing with a dominant #1 player in the world. Sergio looks great all week, then plays with a guy he knows is better than him that puts on the gas pedal early and gets shook up. Saw it a little bit with Fowler vs. Rory at The Open. While he finished 2nd, he was never in it like Sergio was in the group ahead.

I don't think that was Rory.  Sergio has a history of choking when he has the lead.  Also Fowler has no experience winning a big event so that could just be nerves not so much being intimidated by Rory (I might be wrong about Ricky though).   If you look at the leaderboard on Sunday there were a ton of low rounds except Sergio. That course was soft and Sergio couldn't make a putt.  I think Rory has a Phil-esk mind set when he's playing well he goes for every pin and doesn't feel like he can make a bogey.   If Rory is driving the ball like he has been the last 2 events he will be tough to beat.  On the other hand if the course is playing fast Id put my money on him not winning. His track record is better on slow soft tracks than on firm fast ones.

I was looking forward to seeing Phil and Tiger in the same group (Phil said they would be paired). Still may happen, but I can't see Tiger getting it together enough to compete. He has cancelled a scheduled press conference for tomorrow, so we may not find out about his status until Wednesday.

Bill M

I don't think that was Rory.  Sergio has a history of choking when he has the lead.  Also Fowler has no experience winning a big event so that could just be nerves not so much being intimidated by Rory (I might be wrong about Ricky though).   If you look at the leaderboard on Sunday there were a ton of low rounds except Sergio. That course was soft and Sergio couldn't make a putt.  I think Rory has a Phil-esk mind set when he's playing well he goes for every pin and doesn't feel like he can make a bogey.   If Rory is driving the ball like he has been the last 2 events he will be tough to beat.  On the other hand if the course is playing fast Id put my money on him not winning. His track record is better on slow soft tracks than on firm fast ones.

Very true about Sergio, but I do think there is something about playing against a guy who you know is superior to you. It's like a boxing match when you can dominate against the other competition and then you look at someone in the eye who is the best in the world. Some guys take on the challenge and step up their game, and then there's others who lose confidence. I think Sergio is one of those guys who lose confidence.

But totally agree on the track. Rory's struggled at fast tracks...just look at his US Open record outside of Congressional. Rory is an aggressive player, more notably an aggressive putter, and you can be aggressive on slow greens and they're easier to read because they lose some of their break. If you go back and look at why he's struggled at Augusta since the final round in 2011, it's because he's had problems putting. He's been a 3-putt machine.

I think we are all expecting too much from Rory this week. 3 wins in a row is a bit excessive. I think he will finish top 10 however. PGA winners generally play well at the Bridgestone. This year is the year for repeat major winners 2/3. Also I like my PGA picks to be generally ones who have played well as of late or at least this season. Tiger has no chance. Rory too much to ask for. The course is a big one and weather seems to be suspect. To me that leaves a very small group of players IMO to pick from to win this.

Tiger, Phil, Rory I would rule out for the above reasons

I dont like the way Bubba, and Kaymer played this past week and I do not see either of them winning their 3rd this week

I dont think Sergio is ever gonna a major. Too many tournaments of choking and not being able to close it out

Rickie is a great option, but I wanna see him get more regular wins before I feel confident in picking him to be a major winner. This year however, has been very impressive

Furyk kinda like Sergio. I wanna pick him and my gut says yes, but he chokes too often

That leaves my group of potential winners and ultimate pick: Schwartzel, Rose, Scott, Keegan

Schwartzel might just have some of the best talent in the world if he could just play more consistent and be a better putter. Scott I dont really have a reason not to pick other than just pure assumption. Keegan I like but feel that he got hot a little too late this year. I really like his game, but dont feel he is at the point to get a 2nd major just yet; he's not on that tier for me.

Therefore my pick this week is Justin Rose.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I think we are all expecting too much from Rory this week. 3 wins in a row is a bit excessive. I think he will finish top 10 however. PGA winners generally play well at the Bridgestone. This year is the year for repeat major winners 2/3. Also I like my PGA picks to be generally ones who have played well as of late or at least this season. Tiger has no chance. Rory too much to ask for. The course is a big one and weather seems to be suspect. To me that leaves a very small group of players IMO to pick from to win this.

Let me ask you this: if Rory had finished second at his past two events rather than first, would your opinion of his chances be different?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Let me ask you this: if Rory had finished second at his past two events rather than first, would your opinion of his chances be different?

Probably. And again its pretty dumb I get it. But its a numbers game. If Rory wins, I wont be blown away. But history and statistics dont generally side major-WGC-major 3 in a row winners. Its just a bit much to pick for me.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Probably. And again its pretty dumb I get it. But its a numbers game. If Rory wins, I wont be blown away. But history and statistics dont generally side major-WGC-major 3 in a row winners. Its just a bit much to pick for me.

McIlroy is a different breed than most players, though. You can't compare Rory to other players trying to win 3 in a row. Any tournament where Rory brings his A-game, no one else has a chance. Been a long time since we said that about someone.

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!