IGNORED

Average putts per round

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many putts per round are acceptable? I played in a tournament this weekend and struck the ball beautifully, I hit 14 greens in reg and shot 88 with 12 - 3 putt greens and 46 putts.my index is 10 Been on practice green ever since re developing new putting stroke. What would be a good goal for me for putts per round?

How many putts per round are acceptable?

I played in a tournament this weekend and struck the ball beautifully, I hit 14 greens in reg and shot 88 with 12 - 3 putt greens and 46 putts.my index is 10

Been on practice green ever since re developing new putting stroke.

What would be a good goal for me for putts per round?

I average a little under 32 putts per round.  Three putts should be rare unless you are always having 40+ foot putts for the first putt.  I still want to improve on the 32.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putts per round tells me next to nothing about either how well I'm playing or how well I'm putting.

I can miss almost all of the greens (and play like crap), have under 30 putts, and have quite a few tap in one putts for bogeys or worse.

Agreed, it's not very telling but I try to set a goal of 30. Have shot 75 with 36 putts and 85 with 28. So, it's not indicative of much but I use it as a comparison to myself. My favorite putting stats is # of feet made in a round. I've never kept it on myself, too much hassle although I'm sure I've had a few round with under 20' which would have been pretty simple. I wish we'd hear more about this stat on tour. It gets a random mention when someone goes nuts but I'd like to see it as a regular stat.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm really steady at 2 putting basically all the time, which is unfortunate due to even short putts being 2 putt more than I should. Tracking my stats I'm at like 1.98 putts per hole over about 10 rounds. It's funny because I can cozy one up close for a tap in from 20+ feet a lot but I miss 5 foot putts pretty often too.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

A lot of PGA pros average right a round 28+/- putts per round. I use that as a "go to" number. I probably will never each it, but it's it's a good number to play for.  Last I saw, I think Justin Rose was leading the pack at 27+  putts per round.

I think any amateur golfer is doing well to average under two putts per hole. If they are averaging under two putts per hole, while still scoring high rounds, then obviously that putting stat means they need to look at other areas of their game for improvement.

Another way to look at it is if a golfer can average 30 putts per round, that is 6 more strokes they can add to their long game, and still be scoring well. .

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Putts per round tells me next to nothing about either how well I'm playing or how well I'm putting.

I can miss almost all of the greens (and play like crap), have under 30 putts, and have quite a few tap in one putts for bogeys or worse.

This exactly.  One of the least helpful stats there is.

Some of the worst rounds of my life have resulted in relatively few putts.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I am in the 33-34 putts per range typically.  I also have been averaging around 5-6 GIR.  I don't really know how that stacks up, but it does not feel like (to me) that I am throwing to many strokes away due to putting.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

According to my GolfLogix stats... 22.08 per round 1.80 per hole wait a second- something isn't right... should be 32.4 per round... Oh, wait a tic- there are a few 9 hole rounds thrown in, so I think that's messing with the number. But the 1.8 number is about right when I do the total putts into total holes math...

According to my GolfLogix stats... 22.08 per round 1.80 per hole That number is lower than last year before putting on the SuperStroke 3.0, which was about 1.96 or something. But it IS higher than earlier in the year when it was at 1.76

Whew amazing! Actually, 1.80 p/hole equals 32.4 p/round. Thought we had a world record for a minute there. ;)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Yeah, I noticed that and fixed the post... For the OP, though... That the number itself isn't very helpful. As mentioned you could be hacking around all day shooting 100's and still only have 18 putts. The number to avoid is 3... 3 putts will take the air out of your game faster than a pickaxe to a balloon. You said you had 12 3 putts. cut that to 6 and it's an 82, cut it to 2 and it's a 78. Certainly should make cutting that number a priority... Just work on a consistent stroke, distance control and keep the "3 putt" thoughts out of your head.

I think 3 putt avoidance is more important stat.

Hitting 14 greens and  missing 4 greens and three putting 12 of them?

That's not good enough for competitive round.

check this thread out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/76225/pga-tour-putting-stats

I  use three measurement  to determine if Im putting well or not. lengths of  3 feet. 8  feet and 35 feet.

According to tour pro stats inside 3 feet will be 100%.

1)Do you miss <95% any short putts inside three feet? If so Then work on making 100 of them in a row. I believe making short putts is more of a confidence factor and not  trying too hard.

2)Inside 8 feet touring pros seem to be able one putt more than two putt. These are make able  putts.

My general rule is not to be short on these putts

But dont be hard on yourself if you dont make them from 4-8 feet, there's always a chance you might miss.

However if you three putt these then its my opinion have to make serious help/changes in your putting stroke.

If you 2 putt more often than one putt but dont 3 putt, then it might be more of a misread than stroking ability.

Might have to pay more attention to reading green than stroking ability.

3) At 35 feet there is where there is more chance of three putting then one putting, however 88% of the time the tour pros will still two putt.

This is where the cup appears to be more like a dot then a hole. I believe this is where lagging putts and being short is okay

Trying to get in a 6 foot diameter ( 3 feet radius of the hole) is my goal. Im also looking at this circle if Im on the fringe and chipping/putting 15 yards away from the hole.

4) If you only miss 4 green in regulation then you are a  good ballstriker

Im assuming you are close to the green that you miss say 20/30/40/50 yards away from the hole.

From those distance, getting inside 8 feet (16 foot diameter of the hole) is a reasonable aim.

The tour pros make only 1/2 of their up and downs.

Trying to get inside 8 feet by lobbing/pitching/flopping /chipping/ putting or what ever method you feel comfortable with increases the chances you will one putt

Good Luck!.

When I have a lot of 3 putts it says less about my putting that where on the green my ball lands. If I make a bogey after GIR it's simply because my miss happened to hit the green. It could be a lot further from the hole than I'd like. There aren't many times I'd trade a putt for a chip but it does happen here and there.

Dave :-)

I'm calling BS on this. If you hit 14 greens you aren't going to 3-putt 12 times, unless you were playing on greens the size of a football field.

How many putts per round are acceptable?

I played in a tournament this weekend and struck the ball beautifully, I hit 14 greens in reg and shot 88 with 12 - 3 putt greens and 46 putts.my index is 10

Been on practice green ever since re developing new putting stroke.

What would be a good goal for me for putts per round?

Less than 36 would be a good start but I would worry less about the amount of total putts and focus more on speed control (assuming that's why you 3 putted 12 times).

Do you normally have more than 36 putts in a round?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm calling BS on this. If you hit 14 greens you aren't going to 3-putt 12 times, unless you were playing on greens the size of a football field.

Don't play much with my buddies, then? Doesn't matter if they're on in reg or after 6. It's is almost a guaranteed 3 putt. It certainly isn't out of the realm of reality to putt that badly, I've seen it and suffer through watching them almost every week. A two putt is like a national holiday for them. Even a 12 inch straight putt can be a tester- Iv'e seen the same guy, two weeks in a row miss the SAME exact putt for an eagle. Each time leaving it short... by 6 inches...

Yeah but a 10 handicap probably isn't suffering a lot of 12 3 putt days. If it happened to me, it won't, I would write it off as a freak occurrence.

Dave :-)

Don't play much with my buddies, then? Doesn't matter if they're on in reg or after 6. It's is almost a guaranteed 3 putt. It certainly isn't out of the realm of reality to putt that badly, I've seen it and suffer through watching them almost every week. A two putt is like a national holiday for them. Even a 12 inch straight putt can be a tester- Iv'e seen the same guy, two weeks in a row miss the SAME exact putt for an eagle. Each time leaving it short... by 6 inches...

I have played with hundreds of players and none of them putt nearly as bad as the OP described. If you leave a 12 inch putt 6 inches short than you must have Parkinson's.

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!