IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

T5 in his first tournament of the new season. Could have been better maybe, but good to see him in contention again.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

T5 is good and best of all didn't look like he had back problems.  If he can keep up this level of play, can see him back in the top 50 of OWGR.  Go Joost

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 8/5/2014, 11:38:28, RJH999 said:

Still not totally convinced about the brother thing....I do love some Dutch golfers though. I generally like all Dutch...except for Arjen Robben....and RVP....Joost is a sneaky good European. Kind of like Stephen Gallacher or maybe Jamie Donaldson. Not a lot of attention, but very good. I remember he fired the low round on sunday at Augusta....I propose that this be the Dutch golfer thread....considering I can name 3 dutch golfer I think I watch WAY too much European golf at 2 in the morning....

Huge Robben fan here... Of his game, not necessarily as a person. And Cruyff and the Dutch game in general. Will have to check out Luiten. 

On 1-12-2015 at 5:57 AM, JKolya said:

Huge Robben fan here... Of his game, not necessarily as a person. And Cruyff and the Dutch game in general. Will have to check out Luiten. 

Welcome to the thread :-)

Next Thursday Luiten will play his last tournament of 2015. This time on the Asian Tour (a bit surprising for me), the Thailand Golf Championship. Not a big purse, but a lot of big names in the field including Watson, Garcia, Westwood, Kaymer and Dubuisson. Should be interesting, and if I'm not mistaken the course is voted as best course of the Asian Tour. Hopefully Luiten plays as well as he did last tournament (top 5).

~Jorrit

3 hours ago, Silent said:

Welcome to the thread :-)

Next Thursday Luiten will play his last tournament of 2015. This time on the Asian Tour (a bit surprising for me), the Thailand Golf Championship. Not a big purse, but a lot of big names in the field including Watson, Garcia, Westwood, Kaymer and Dubuisson. Should be interesting, and if I'm not mistaken the course is voted as best course of the Asian Tour. Hopefully Luiten plays as well as he did last tournament (top 5).

World Rankings can be harsh, because Joost has played reasonably well (no missed cuts) in this last stretch of the year, but he is sliding a bit in the rankings:

5666c7a890799_ScreenShot2015-12-08at7.04

He started at 67th (prior to event shown). Then he goes 33, 60, 46, 31, 5 on the European Tour. Not lighting it up by his standards, but still that's decent golf, right? And end result? 83rd on the World rank, down 16 spots unfortunately.  Their formula really values winning- especially in these lower ranked events of the season. Even the 5th place at the Alfred Dunhill only got him 4.5 points. Joost needs a high point showing to bump him back up.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Agreed. OWGR values winning (as do I), but also high finishes. Luiten didn't really do neither: around 30th places doesn't cut the deal. His 5th place last tournament was good (he had only one top 5 in the previous season, and now he did so in the first tournament of the season), however to be fair it wasn't at a very strong field. I'm confident next season will be good again, his head will be clear and he will have less pressure on the ET. My 'dream' to see him in the Ryder Cup might be on hold... I don't see that happening next year, unles he's going to win multiple tournaments. 

~Jorrit

I don't know what stats to look at when trying to figure out why any player ranks where he does,but I notice JL's scoring average from 2013-2015 had gone 69.92,,,,,70.60,,,,,,71.15..........I notice Mark Crossfield does a swing analysis of JL after he won the Welsh tournament in late 2014 I guess.Not a lot of help but always interesting to watch this stuff.

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

1 hour ago, Silent said:

Excellent start in Thailand: -3 (no bogeys) and top 10.

The great news is Fairways hit 12/14,,,,GIR 18/18...WOW...the bad news is ..34 putts.......still beat Bubba Watson by 2 shots.Joost driving ave. was about 285...Bubba was about 319...Bubba GIR was 11/18 with 29 putts.

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Joost is playing well but not putting at all.  Also, GIR is good but very few of those shots looked close enough to call it an easy birdie chance.  Still, looks like he can challenge for this tourney and if he continues like this be top 10.  Sergio was playing really well so Joost needs to pick up the putting a notch to challenge for the lead

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

In the media Joost said his play was good, but wasn't really hitting the balls that close to the flag. Basically what @pganapathy said: he didn't really miss any good birdie chances, but he didn't hole the long ones either. Fairway hits and GIR's very impressive, finally looks like the 2014 Joost again.

~Jorrit

Again a round below par: -2 today. This time 4 birdies and 2 bogeys. Giving himself a nice position into the weekend. 

~Jorrit

Also round number 3 under par, even though it was 'just' -1. Inside the top 20, he needs to go real low if he wants to scoop that Open Championship ticket that can be earned here.

Good thing is that in this season all his rounds (7) are under par so far.

~Jorrit

Not a good final day (+1), finished just inside the top 25. Donaldson wins, 3 shots ahead of Westwood and 7 (!) of Garcia. Now vacation.

~Jorrit

Joost played alright (-3,-2,-1) for three rounds and then one not so great round of +1.  All said and done, if he had four decent rounds like his first round, would have been between -10 and -15 and at least top 10.  Anything less in future tournaments and his current season is going to look a lot like his previous season.  Sadly, he is actually striking the ball well but just not finishing at all.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Curiousity makes me ask how much he actually relies on his caddie.  Anyway, hope he has a good season ahead after a break for the Christmas / New Year holidays.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• 3 weeks later...

This week Luiten starts 2016 with three tournaments in a row in the Middle East. First the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship; quite a few big names on the entry list, including McIlroy, Stenson, Kaymer, Spieth and Fowler. Game on!

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!