IGNORED

Game Improvement Clubs

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently play a set of Hogan bh-5 irons with steel Apex 4 shafts.  I want to move to graphite regular flex.  I have hit a few of the newer irons on the market and none seem to have the same level of feel and feedback I get from the bh-5.  Has anyone switched from the bh-5 to a current set?  If so what did you purchase and how satisfied are you?  Looking for some recommendations on a game improvement iron.  Thanks for your time, have a great day.  Charlie.

I just upgraded my set from vintage 1987 to ping G25. I love them. I did stick with steel shafts with the cushion inserts. Better feel imho. Good luck with your search. Go get fitted.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

I don't consider MPF to be gospel but I just looked and the BH-5 is in the SGI category with a rating of 821. Just looking at the design I wouldn't have guessed that. Are you just interested in graphite shafts or do you feel it's time for a change? Not sure what you mean by feedback.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I follow MPF ratings from year to year, and find the measurement useful, but...

Dave2512 has a good point: "...I don't consider MPF to be gospel."

For that matter, neither does inventor Ralph Maltby. He cautions that MPF measures only clubhead characteristics, and does not take into account the club's shaft.

Case in point is the Callaway offerings from circa 2008, the Big Bertha and the X20. On MPF, both ranked as Ultra Game Improvement (Maltby's MPF has six categories, the Golf Digest Hot List only three). I tried both models out, and found the BB ballooned too much on shorter irons. This ties to fact that the stock shaft was a high launch item - for me, the user-friendly head plus high-launch shaft was too high a flight. The X20, however, has a Uniflex midlaunch shaft, and worked just fine.

In Hot List terms, the X20 Tours I now play are GI. Originally they had PX 5.0 shafts, but these started feeling harsh on days when I didn't have my best swing. So, I had them reshafted with NS Pro 8950GH R.flex, about 17 grams and a half flex lighter. I've picked up a full club in distance, and have more consistent yardage club to club.

Soooo, a GI head can be tweaked different ways depending on what shaft you match it with. Being that you regularly shoot in the 80s, this would be a good time for you to get a fitting. Also, I'm not sure how much  feel you get with graphite shafts on irons. Can someone help us on this?

And definitely check out the Ping G25. The stock CFS shaft is super. In January, I asked the Ping rep if he could get me some CFS shafts for my X20 Tours, and he looked at me like I was crazy. :8)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I follow MPF ratings from year to year, and find the measurement useful, but...

Dave2512 has a good point: "...I don't consider MPF to be gospel."

For that matter, neither does inventor Ralph Maltby. He cautions that MPF measures only clubhead characteristics, and does not take into account the club's shaft.

... or the sole grind/bounce for those times when the club hits the ground.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If by "feedback", you mean the harshness or vibration you feel in your hands and arms on a less than perfect strike, any move toward a softer shaft or more forgiving head will diminish that feeling. That is one purpose of the softer shaft and forgiving head.

If you mean ball flight, which is the best feedback, then getting a head and shaft that matches your swing style and speed will optimize that. This is assuming your swing, for better or worse, is well formed in that it is repeating. If you anticipate a major change in the way you swing the club, then making those changes first, getting used to them for a couple of months, and then getting fitted for your remodeled swing is advisable.

The best indication of a good shot is how the ball flies. More forgiving clubs won't turn a shank or a duck hook pull into a good shot; they will still be ugly. Forgiveness does decrease loss of distance and direction on a slightly less than perfect shot.

The Apex 4 shaft is known for its stiffness and "feedback"; moreso in the older versions. Now if you look at my sig, you will see that I enjoy vintage clubs. I enjoy them, among other reasons, for how they feel on good shots( which even I hit occasionally), though, not for how they feel on misses!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thanks for your input.  As far as feedback if my contact is a bit off I feel it immediately.  I'm still in good shape for 55 but, I carried a ruck sack and a weapon for 20 years and now I'm starting to feel it.  I am looking at graphite in an effort to possibly absorb some vibration and hoping for a little distance gain through a little faster swing speed.

I'd go get fit. If for no other reason that you can try different head and shaft combos. The couple of times I did certain combos just felt weird and I would have been angry with the feel and results had I just bought blind. It's to tough to make recommendations without seeing someone swing but I'll tell you what worked for me. It was heads that could be mixed into a combo set, more forgiving long irons and more of a players short iron. From there I tried different shafts until I found one that felt smooth throughout the swing. Some just didn't work for me. It was most evident in not only the numbers but the sound at contact, the bad sound meant harsh feeling. We went on to fine tuning after that.

I wouldn't get caught up in marketing labels and though I don't think MPF is gospel it is useful. You will likely be surprised that some clubs marketed as something may have an MPF that puts it in a completely different category. For example I've seen players irons with a high MPF. You will still get that bad shot feedback no matter what you choose, a bad strike is a bad strike. It will fly funny and sound funny. The difference will be how much you are punished for it.

Dave :-)

Thanks for your input.  As far as feedback if my contact is a bit off I feel it immediately.  I'm still in good shape for 55 but, I carried a ruck sack and a weapon for 20 years and now I'm starting to feel it.  I am looking at graphite in an effort to possibly absorb some vibration and hoping for a little distance gain through a little faster swing speed.

That is why I mentioned the PING Cushion inserts.  They absorb the nasty vibration of say a fat hit but still feel the toe/heel/thin strikes.  Definitely less fatigue at the end of the round.  Something else for you to consider.  Good Luck Sir.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

Thanks again guys for your thoughts.  I hit a G25 demo iron on the range today, ball flight was a bit more in line with what I'm looking for, felt very good and the club has a nice top line at address.  The switch to regular graphite appears to have given me a bit more distance but it's hard to tell on the range.  At any rate have a great day and a wonderful round next time out.  Charlie

I'm liking the UST Mamiya Recoil 95's.... if you're looking at graphite... soft feel

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!