IGNORED

Scores Worse on the Back Nine

MattM
Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since I read this book my GIR's have gone up by 25%! The problem is that now I can't putt worth a damn! I'm also still trying to figure out why when I get on the back nine my swing totally goes to crap! If not for that, the decisions portion would have gotten me into the 70's by now! When you add this book to your aimpoint classes, the PureStrike Videos, and to Evolvr you guys (Erik, Dave, MVAC etc) have put together the most helpful program to help golfers (in my opinion). I'm wondering though Erik if you guys don't have some sort of statistics factor or percentage of reasons for if and why 10+ handicaps lose their swings through out a round. That would definately be helpful....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since I read this book my GIR's have gone up by 25%! The problem is that now I can't putt worth a damn! I'm also still trying to figure out why when I get on the back nine my swing totally goes to crap! If not for that, the decisions portion would have gotten me into the 70's by now!

When you add this book to your aimpoint classes, the PureStrike Videos, and to Evolvr you guys (Erik, Dave, MVAC etc) have put together the most helpful program to help golfers (in my opinion).

I'm wondering though Erik if you guys don't have some sort of statistics factor or percentage of reasons for if and why 10+ handicaps lose their swings through out a round. That would definately be helpful....

Because they are 10+ handicap players. My best guess would be that their keys 1,2 and/or 3 are not as solid as they should be. These three usually caused timing issues and require more hand eye coordination to find club head to ball. If the timing is good, all is good, if timing is off, bad things can happen.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Since I read this book my GIR's have gone up by 25%! The problem is that now I can't putt worth a damn! I'm also still trying to figure out why when I get on the back nine my swing totally goes to crap! If not for that, the decisions portion would have gotten me into the 70's by now!

When you add this book to your aimpoint classes, the PureStrike Videos, and to Evolvr you guys (Erik, Dave, MVAC etc) have put together the most helpful program to help golfers (in my opinion).

I'm wondering though Erik if you guys don't have some sort of statistics factor or percentage of reasons for if and why 10+ handicaps lose their swings through out a round. That would definately be helpful....

I would say it varies by individual. Could T2G, short game, putting, etc.... The answer would be to focus on the higher SV thingies (for lack of a better term at the moment) that comprise your weak areas.

- Shane

That's a good question MDL.  I will check my stats and get back to you.  Ok, 7/26 40 on front 48 on back. 7/23 42 on front 45 on back.  7/18 40 front 43 back.  7/12 42 front 43 back.  6/9 41 front 47 back.

I'm in good shape (6'0 180) I hit the ball a mile.  I don't feel like I'm getting tired, but as they say "feel and real."  If you look at the score.....The only time the back 9 is within 3 strokes of the front is when I'm playing a course where the back is easier.  That said, I haven't had a round where I've actually scored better on the back.

I'll start a round hitting every drive 280+ middle of the fairway.  My irons will be solid etc.  Then I'll get on the back nine and that same 9 iron I was hitting 155 on the front won't go 135 on the back.  Sometimes ill try to really put my weight forward thinking I'm flipping but nothing really ever helps.  It def has me stumped!

Not all my rounds are front being better, but I do notice my drives going more left right on the back. In my case, I think it could be "boredom". It gets tedious. The "boredom" is not conscious, but maybe a slight "loss of focus" My putts get sloppy, and drives start moving off line. First holes can be bad due to no warm up, but the loss of focus can happen anywhere. It would be great to be able to measure my "focus index" prior to any shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That's a good question MDL.  I will check my stats and get back to you.  Ok, 7/26 40 on front 48 on back. 7/23 42 on front 45 on back.  7/18 40 front 43 back.  7/12 42 front 43 back.  6/9 41 front 47 back.

I'm in good shape (6'0 180) I hit the ball a mile.  I don't feel like I'm getting tired, but as they say "feel and real."  If you look at the score.....The only time the back 9 is within 3 strokes of the front is when I'm playing a course where the back is easier.  That said, I haven't had a round where I've actually scored better on the back.

I'll start a round hitting every drive 280+ middle of the fairway.  My irons will be solid etc.  Then I'll get on the back nine and that same 9 iron I was hitting 155 on the front won't go 135 on the back.  Sometimes ill try to really put my weight forward thinking I'm flipping but nothing really ever helps.  It def has me stumped!

20 yard drop in 9i distance is crazy!  Just from the splits I'd guess there's probably less problem than you think, probably more or less random.  But with the detail about the courses and your experience of the rounds and the crazy distance drop, it does seem like you've been struggling towards the end of the round.

Only idea I have (aside from @Lihu feels like he generally loses focus), is suggested by your comment about trying to fix the distance loss.  I play to pretty similar scores to you, maybe low 80s more often, but still solidly 80s.  In the past I've struggled with mental game when I hit 40 or 41, or even 42 on the front.  Thinking I'm playing fairly well and if I just tighten up my game a bit, fix whatever major miss I've been hitting, I could shoot 37 or 38 on the back and break 80.  I'd get away from focusing on a single swing thought and visualization and close focus (and often smart decision making) and whatnot and start trying to fix things with every swing, lots of shifting swing thoughts, taking not smart risks, almost always making things worse.  That sound familiar?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

20 yard drop in 9i distance is crazy!  Just from the splits I'd guess there's probably less problem than you think, probably more or less random.  But with the detail about the courses and your experience of the rounds and the crazy distance drop, it does seem like you've been struggling towards the end of the round.

Only idea I have (aside from @Lihu's note that he feels like he generally loses focus), is suggested by your comment about trying to fix the distance loss.  I play to pretty similar scores to you, maybe low 80s more often, but still solidly 80s.  In the past I've struggled with mental game when I hit 40 or 41, or even 42 on the front.  Thinking I'm playing fairly well and if I just tighten up my game a bit, fix whatever major miss I've been hitting, I could shoot 37 or 38 on the back and break 80.  I'd get away from focusing on a single swing thought and visualization and close focus (and often smart decision making) and whatnot and start trying to fix things with every swing, lots of shifting swing thoughts, taking not smart risks, almost always making things worse.  That sound familiar?

I definitely see what you are saying.  I'm still working on it.  Hopefully it's just me getting lazy or something.

• Administrator

I definitely see what you are saying.  I'm still working on it.  Hopefully it's just me getting lazy or something.

There are no statistics for it. Some golfers play better on the back nine, some worse. The vast majority play about the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are no statistics for it. Some golfers play better on the back nine, some worse. The vast majority play about the same.

It really all depends on what you do on the first hole. :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

It really all depends on what you do on the first hole.

But what about the first hole of the back nine???  That could make a difference as well.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

It really all depends on what you do on the first hole.

But what about the first hole of the back nine???  That could make a difference as well.

I usually wait till after the round to choose one hole to blame all the others on. I find if I try to pick one during the round it becomes too much of a distraction, what if you pick the wrong one???? Gotta stay in the moment.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A couple of years ago at a local practice range, I ran into two golf team members from the college where I teach. They said they tended to get into trouble on the back nine, if they got pumped and started overswinging on their drives. Something to consider...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have had some pretty bad back nine breakdowns in the past.  But I mostly seem to have the trouble off the tee.  I am just plain bad off the tee.  When I am hitting driver or 3 wood I just don't think of sweeping at the ball.  So I tend to come down on the ball too much and I wind up taking a divot, hitting behind the ball and hitting a pop fly to 2nd base lol.  It's just hard for me to think of sweeping at the ball and not hitting down on it like I do with my irons and hybrids.  Because I am certainly no Steve Stricker who doesn't even take a divot with a pitching wedge lol... I've cut my fair share of sod steaks in the past.  But the back 9 is typically where it gets REAL bad off the tee with the pop flies.  I need to just take a lesson or two lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I've had wild swings from the front nine to back nine. One that sticks out was a 15-stroke swing, 55 on the front and 40 on the back. Sometimes the back is better. Sometimes it is worse.

A lot of the courses I play have one nine that is significantly harder than the other. Other than that, it often seems like a total reset on the 10th tee. Whatever I did on the front has little to do with what happens next.

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!