IGNORED

Valhalla Not Worthy of a Major Championship

iacas
Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

69.568 scoring average Saturday. 46 rounds under par. Only 18 over par. Lowest scoring average in PGA history. 4th hole was a gift. Par 4 averaged 3.311! It was really a 292yd par 3 today.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's a decent venue. It just doesn't really have anything interesting or unique about it. Same with Olympia Fields and Oakland Hills. Not all venues can be special I suppose. I thought the last sentence was kinda dickish though. Very snobby I think. He doesn't even know how to pronounce anybody's name. I feel if you're a golf writer, you should watch more golf and be familiar with the Euros. That's just me though. Agree with the guy up top. Does Ben Curtis winning discredit Royal Troon? Shaun Micheel discredit Oak Hill? Ye Yang & Rich Beem discredit Hazeltine? Janzen & Baltustrol? Mize & ANGC? Nonsense. As for "it's too easy", I don't know about that. I feel like PGA Championships are usually scorefests. As for "majors are the toughest test". ST Andrews gets plummeted by everyone, doesn't mean it's a bad course or event. Nobody seems to complains about that. Even Augusta has had some -14 and -16 winning scores. The PGA is almost always -10 or better. I do tend to agree on Whistling Straits. I like a course that's not incredibly difficult to score, but can be if you make mistakes. Whistling Straits is also incredibly unique and unmistakable.

Riley

69.568 scoring average Saturday. 46 rounds under par. Only 18 over par. Lowest scoring average in PGA history.

4th hole was a gift. Par 4 averaged 3.311! It was really a 292yd par 3 today.

That hole really took me by surprise.  When they make a reachable Par 4 in these majors, it always comes with far more risk/reward than this hole did.  My only guess is that they wanted to have a short Par 4, but literally could not a find a more suitable hole on the course.  My answer for that would be:  Well, no short Par 4s this year.

"Witty golf quote."

69.568 scoring average Saturday. 46 rounds under par. Only 18 over par. Lowest scoring average in PGA history.

4th hole was a gift. Par 4 averaged 3.311! It was really a 292yd par 3 today.

It's not as if the 4th hole is really that hard when they have the tees back either. It's like 370 from the back tees and the longest hitters are able to get there if they want and at worst have a little wedge into the green.

Scoring average is a product of how much rain they've received. I mean, the balls were hitting the green and not moving an inch. As the commercial says, these guys are good and they will stick shots next to flags all day when they have no fear of a ball bouncing over a green. I bet I saw Charles Howell on the range from about 80 yards put 15 straight balls inside 8 feet. They are just too good when it's this wet which is why you see greens running 14 usually at majors. That's the only protection the courses have.

That hole really took me by surprise.  When they make a reachable Par 4 in these majors, it always comes with far more risk/reward than this hole did.  My only guess is that they wanted to have a short Par 4, but literally could not a find a more suitable hole on the course.  My answer for that would be:  Well, no short Par 4s this year.

These guys will typically make any reachable par 4 look easy, but I think there was some risk out there on the hole. The line you have to take to get the green is straight over a huge bunker and deep rough along with hazard left just off the green. If you're not able to fly it 280, you're going to be in deep rough or a deep bunker and those aren't easy shots to get up and down.

If you're not able to fly it 280, you're going to be in deep rough or a deep bunker and those aren't easy shots to get up and down.

Apparently it wasn't that difficult given the scoring average.  Also, that creek is in play for ME from 280 (actually, let's make it 250 for me, a roughly equivalent adjustment), but is only in play for them with an awful tee shot.

"Witty golf quote."

Apparently it wasn't that difficult given the scoring average.  Also, that creek is in play for ME from 280 (actually, let's make it 250 for me, a roughly equivalent adjustment), but is only in play for them with an awful tee shot.

Yeah, you're right. It wasn't hard but it usually isn't hard for them when the tees are all the way back either. I liked having it up and add in that extra possibility of eagle to add to the drama of the day.

Hi guys... first post.

I think this course is fine ( or near perfect) for the PGA.  It produces lots of excitement and the cream has risen to the top.

Every major championship has it's identity. The PGA has lots of under par scoring, but thats OK. The championship is run by the club pro organization, reserves plenty of spots for its' members, and doesn't serve their organization well to brutalize members that earn spots. I'm not saying the course / setup should cater to club pros, but they shouldn't just mimick the USGA either.

Augusta is Augasta.

USGA sets up a hyper punitve  test  that rewards a strong mind and conservative play.

The Open Championship tightens the fairways, but is primarily a test of links golf (regardless of score).

The PGA is basically the championship for American style golf.

In my perfect world Augasta would get rid of the second cut and go back to everything fairway cut, and the PGA add 1/2in. to all their rough cuts, and leave the Opens alone...... but thats just me.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys... first post.   I think this course is fine ( or near perfect) for the PGA.  It produces lots of excitement and the cream has risen to the top.  Every major championship has it's identity. The PGA has lots of under par scoring, but thats OK. The championship is run by the club pro organization, reserves plenty of spots for its' members, and doesn't serve their organization well to brutalize members that earn spots. I'm not saying the course / setup should cater to club pros, but they shouldn't just mimick the USGA either.  Augusta is Augasta. USGA sets up a hyper punitve  test  that rewards a strong mind and conservative play. The Open Championship tightens the fairways, but is primarily a test of links golf (regardless of score). The PGA is basically the championship for American style golf. In my perfect world Augasta would get rid of the second cut and go back to everything fairway cut, and the PGA add 1/2in. to all their rough cuts, and leave the Opens alone...... but thats just me.

Welcome! I agree with most of what you said. I think the PGA is basically a regular event with an amazing field. The scoring should be low. Not all PGA Venues can be special. Valhalla just falls into the average category for me..

Riley

Thanks RJH.

I do hear what your saying.I just have a hunch that there is something too Valhalla. I look at places like pebble beach and don't get it. No one would  hold a tourny there if not for the veiws and history.

Jack said PB would be the place he would play if it was his last round, and he made this one.... so what do I know.

I like the way it was put today by either Faldo or Baker Finch can't remember which guy said it "Some people may question Valhalla as anything better than an ok course, but it sure has produced some memorable tournaments".  Or something to that effect.  I also couldn't care any less if Valhalla doesn't have something flashy about it.  It has now produced three of the most incredible golf tournaments ever.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator

I like the way it was put today by either Faldo or Baker Finch can't remember which guy said it "Some people may question Valhalla as anything better than an ok course, but it sure has produced some memorable tournaments".  Or something to that effect.  I also couldn't care any less if Valhalla doesn't have something flashy about it.  It has now produced three of the most incredible golf tournaments ever.

And a Kenny Perry/Mark Brooks playoff…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think that might have been McCord, maybe Nantz. I'm pretty sure it wasn't IBF or Faldo, but I could be wrong.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The [quote name="iacas" url="/t/76385/valhalla-not-worthy-of-a-major-championship#post_1038424"] And a Kenny Perry/Mark Brooks playoff… [/quote] The clear exception to the rule. Last two PGA championships at Valhalla will go down as two of the most memorable. Sure liked the scoring rather than a snore fest that was this year's US Open. Also, ask Jordan Spieth, Keegan Bradley, and Bubba Watson (among others) how easy it was out there.

It'll be interesting to see the ratings

At the very least, I'd expect a bump from the folks who thought they were tuning in to [i]60 Minutes.[/i]

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It's hosted three major stroke play tournaments and yes, two have been fantastic.  Does that mean the course is automatically conducive to "great" tournaments or are we looking at a pretty small sample size?  I think the latter.  There are newer courses that I think fit the bill better for a major championship, including the site of next years PGA.

I'm also interested in the television ratings.  I'll bet they are high, but decently below a Tiger-in-contention major.  And now that football season is returning, I'll have to listen to that 60 minutes at whatever o'clock, except on the West Coast announcement I've been hearing for the entirety of my life even more often.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!