IGNORED

Will Tiger Woods fire Sean Foley before the end of 2015?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a high handicapper so obviously I'm not that knowledgeable about the mechanics of the golf swing.  However, I have a question for those of you who are. Is it possible that Tiger's physique is partly to blame for his injuries?  When he was a slim guy he didn't seem to have these problems.  Now he looks like a strong safety with a lot of extra muscle he's tweaking everything it seems. I realize that his body is older than it was then so I'm sure that is partly to blame, but I was wondering if he's just maybe too bulky.

He's not nearly as bulky as people seem to think he is.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Haneys book it was said Tigers knee was so messed up (torn ACL) that without the strong muscles around the knee Tiger would not have been able to play the 2008 US Open.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

He's not nearly as bulky as people seem to think he is.

This article Hank Haney suggests otherwise:

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee

This article Hank Haney suggests otherwise: [URL=http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee]http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee[/URL]

He obviously is bigger than he used to be but he's not roided out as some people have suggested. Also, anything Chamblee or Haney says about Tiger I take with a grain of salt.

- Jered

This article Hank Haney suggests otherwise: [URL=http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee]http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee[/URL]

Haney's allowed to have his opinion, but he operates within a niche where he only gains notoriety when he criticizes Tiger. "Former Coach Says Tiger Works Out the Correct Amount, Admits the Swing Changes He Recommended Were What Screwed Woods Up and Caused Injuries" wouldn't be a great headline for him. (Not that I'm saying Haney caused his injuries.) IMO, Tiger's (relatively) scrawny legs, 29 inch waist, and tight shirts make him look bulkier than he otherwise would.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

No, having more muscle should help with the problem, especially the knee if he built up the lower body strength. Many ACL injuries, the doctors will recommend to keep up working out in some limited fashion, to help keep the muscle from deteriorating before they have to go back to rehab. So being in better shape isn't the issue.

Right. Ligaments hold bones together, so if one is torn, having stronger muscles actually help hold everything together. It's pretty much what a knee brace does.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Haney's allowed to have his opinion, but he operates within a niche where he only gains notoriety when he criticizes Tiger. "Former Coach Says Tiger Works Out the Correct Amount, Admits the Swing Changes He Recommended Were What Screwed Woods Up and Caused Injuries" wouldn't be a great headline for him. (Not that I'm saying Haney caused his injuries.)

IMO, Tiger's (relatively) scrawny legs, 29 inch waist, and tight shirts make him look bulkier than he otherwise would.

But what if he's right? I mean he worked with him and knows him inside out. Yeah, he has a book to sell, but does that automatically mean everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie? That's like when everyone ripped Jose Canseco's book, and next thing you now everything that came out of his mouth gets proven true.

I haven't heard Tiger or anyone else come out and say the claims are bogus. Just people's opinions. Obviously, die hard Tiger fans will dismiss it because anything that bashes him is untrue. I don't know. I've read from other sources besides Haney that he was a workout machine and was obsessed with the gym. Nothing wrong with that....but huge and bulky muscle mass sometimes does not gel well with a fast and powerful golf swing over the course of time.

But what if he's right? I mean he worked with him and knows him inside out. Yeah, he has a book to sell, but does that automatically mean everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie? That's like when everyone ripped Jose Canseco's book, and next thing you now everything that came out of his mouth gets proven true. I haven't heard Tiger or anyone else come out and say the claims are bogus. Just people's opinions. Obviously, die hard Tiger fans will dismiss it because anything that bashes him is untrue. I don't know. I've read from other sources besides Haney that he was a workout machine and was obsessed with the gym. Nothing wrong with that....but huge and bulky muscle mass sometimes does not gel well with a fast and powerful golf swing over the course of time.

I'll I'm saying is this dude isn't hugely bulky: And now I have "tiger shirtless" in my Google search history, so that's great.

In my bag:

I'll I'm saying is this dude isn't hugely bulky: And now I have "tiger shirtless" in my Google search history, so that's great.

Not as cut as I thought. He looks healthier with his shirt on! Lol.

- Jered

I'll I'm saying is this dude isn't hugely bulky:

And now I have "tiger shirtless" in my Google search history, so that's great.

haha yeah I feel guilty typing that in google. I can't do it. But yeah, I saw the pictures a while ago. His arms are jacked big-time. Shoulders, too. Hard to tell the chest. My chest looked smaller than his above a few years ago and I benched 320. Everyone's chest has a different complexion with weights. I've heard he benches around 350, but those were just rumors from people who've seen him work out. Never heard anything confirmed.

haha yeah I feel guilty typing that in google. I can't do it. But yeah, I saw the pictures a while ago. His arms are jacked big-time. Shoulders, too. Hard to tell the chest. My chest looked smaller than his above a few years ago and I benched 320. Everyone's chest has a different complexion with weights. I've heard he benches around 350, but those were just rumors from people who've seen him work out. Never heard anything confirmed.

Like everyone puts on fat different ways, they can build muscle mass and size different ways.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

IMO, Tiger's (relatively) scrawny legs, 29 inch waist, and tight shirts make him look bulkier than he otherwise would.

I agree 100%. The first thought I had when I saw him in person (2012) was how tiny he looked up close.

^^^Yep. Me too. TV really does make people look heavier. He's not as big as I am by a pretty good bit...and I'm not Arnold or anything.

I voted 'no,' only because he's unhealthy and there is not enough time.  But I do believe he has swing problems, and when he gets healthy and still isn't lighting it up, I think he'll fire him.  If you made the poll "within 12 months" I would have said yes.

"Witty golf quote."

I voted 'no,' only because he's unhealthy and there is not enough time.  But I do believe he has swing problems, and when he gets healthy and still isn't lighting it up, I think he'll fire him.  If you made the poll "within 12 months" I would have said yes.

It says 2015, not 2014. So by the end of next year.

It says 2015, not 2014. So by the end of next year.

Hurrr durrr durrrr.

I paid attentions in school.

EDIT--I guess I can't change my vote?

"Witty golf quote."

Not as cut as I thought. He looks healthier with his shirt on! Lol.

The goal of the picture wasn't to showcase his physique, if it was, they would have shaved his body hair, had him get pumped up and apply some oil.  I'm not sure what Annie was going for, but certainly it was not to make the cover of Muscle and Fitness.

Joe Paradiso

Foley? Tiger? Split? Stay United?

Media overkill?

I don't know. Sean has had 4 years. Tiger had a 6 month period last year where he showed dominance again ... and then it disappeared.

Why?

Sounds health-related.

I read where Sean said that he does not even need to look at a player's swing to help him -- just give him the Trackman numbers.

Maybe Sean overstated the case for Trackman? I think it is a tool for the instructor so they can offer a feel or pattern to the player. I would think you would want to see what the player is doing, look at the numbers, and offer instruction based on all input. Maybe even get the student away from the numbers. When Trackman becomes the Bible, I think you've got a problem. It's a great tool but too much reliance on a tool can focus on the wrong areas, or be misused by the player.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!