IGNORED

Is This Protocol (Paying a Pro's Fee in a Weekly Game)???????

Golfer6760
Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't get me wrong. He was a pleasure to play with and a pure gentleman through out the round. It was the game organizer who invited him in to the game so, he was an invited guest from the more I learn about the situation. Wasn't the kids fault. The organizer should have informed me before the round about the protocol. At the time I assumed they couldn't get a 4th for the group so the assistant filled the open slot.

He never uttered a word about my swing during the round. I wouldn't have wanted him to. I like my swing and have a coach in FL.  Another player in our foursome was having trouble off the tee and I saw/heard him talking to him about it. Was none of my business. I never asked for any tips and he never offered.

Did I benefit from his score? No. In the quota he shot -5 and I shot -3 and the other two in our foursome shot -5/e. The individual game winner shot +17 :-o and he's a scratch player Whooo Hoooo. Next closest was +5. We were Waaaay out of the money that day.

Will I play with him again?? Yes in a heartbeat :-) When I am the Inviter outside a game situation.

Don't get me wrong. He was a pleasure to play with and a pure gentleman through out the round. It was the game organizer who invited him in to the game so, he was an invited guest from the more I learn about the situation. Wasn't the kids fault. The organizer should have informed me before the round about the protocol. At the time I assumed they couldn't get a 4th for the group so the assistant filled the open slot.

He never uttered a word about my swing during the round. I wouldn't have wanted him to. I like my swing and have a coach in FL.  Another player in our foursome was having trouble off the tee and I saw/heard him talking to him about it. Was none of my business. I never asked for any tips and he never offered.

Did I benefit from his score? No. In the quota he shot -5 and I shot -3 and the other two in our foursome shot -5/e. The individual game winner shot +17 :-o and he's a scratch player Whooo Hoooo. Next closest was +5. We were Waaaay out of the money that day.

Will I play with him again?? Yes in a heartbeat :-) When I am the Inviter outside a game situation.

Seems to me that the game organizer should have paid for it (since he's the one that invited him) or asked everybody in the game if they all wanted to split the cost to for the pro to join the game.

Pretty common around here for owners of small courses to let "captains" (which are normally around scratch players) play at reduced rates in the choose-up games. Makes for much better games if there are enough captains to have a true captain on every team. Plus everybody enjoys having at least one really good player in the group.

Paying for a young pro to get started as a charitable act is something I would do if the situation came up, and have done the equivalent many times in another sport, but it was my choice and not something that another person decided I would do.

My thought is - 20 bucks - just pay it and enjoy the round...you stated "he works for you" fine then take care of your employee and hook him up. Think about it as picking up the tab for lunch!!

I can only say that at my club the pro wouldn't have to pay, the members wouldn't blink about footing the bill and i just wasted 3 minutes of my life responding here!! LOL have a nice day.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

My thought is - 20 bucks - just pay it and enjoy the round...you stated "he works for you" fine then take care of your employee and hook him up. Think about it as picking up the tab for lunch!! I can only say that at my club the pro wouldn't have to pay, the members wouldn't blink about footing the bill and i just wasted 3 minutes of my life responding here!! LOL have a nice day.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Next time we'll remember to put out a sign out front.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This seems like something that makes sense at a country club or in a group where everybody has money.  But it doesn't make sense to play a normal course and stick a guy with the extra fee unexpectedly.  You should also have the option to play with the pro if you are going to have to pay for him or pass and let him play with somebody else.

The fact wasn't the $20 or to get posters to argue. And, it has nothing to do with belonging to a CC or who has money or not. I don't mind paying for the assistants anti fee. I assume he's not rolling in the dough as an assistant pro on a local 9 hole course tucked in a suburbia neighborhood. The same as tipping bag persons when they are getting paid by the hour also.

The issue is it seems expected. The same as tipping a waitress. That is truly your option based on a service provided. Not a requirement or Protocol as it was handed to me.

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn and golfed the next day... so that means you all owe me a free round of golf. I will be collecting now thank you.....

I think it ridiculous unless it was set-up on the bylaws. You should have been notified prior to the event and had the choice of selecting a new partner.

I am saying that not every golfer is rolling in dough either.

If it is a country club, people are already spending large amounts of money from everything to memberships, caddies, food and drinks, pro shop items, etc. ...then it makes sense pare the expense for the Assistant Pro.

But if you are playing a money game at a po-dunk cow pasture then it would be a lot to ask for anyone to have to pay double just to play with the Assistant Pro.  Some guys probably make as much or less than the assistant pro might and many seniors don't have much extra money to spare.

Long story short, it makes more sense that this would be protocol at a country club than it would be at a regular course....though I'm sure there is a huge middle ground.  I don't know your exact situation so I can't really comment on what I think of it.

Respect my ass.  How respectful is it to expect someone to pick up your tab.  I wouldn't have paid it.

You can't pay, don't play.  I'm a full time student and have a hard enough time paying my own fees.

And this after the round business wouldn't have flown.  You don't know everyone in the match's financial situation and believe it or not, $20 is not an insignificant sum for some people.  As a student with a family, there have been Saturdays I wanted to play and didn't need to spend the money that week, and I play for $16.50 (resident rate).

I'd have refused to pay and if they'd had a problem with it they would have a gotten and vulgar two word comment with the last word being "you".

Now that being said it would have been different if it had been known up front.  Then you could decide whether or not you were willing to do it.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

this isn't that complicated, if he doesn't collect any winnings (which would be protocol at any respectable club) he shouldn't have to pay.

if he is participating in the winnings, then he must pay.

that said, i don't think a club pro should be playing in any games with its members if money is involved.

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

I see no issue with the pro playing in the game, but I do think it's odd they didn't notify you up front. If they had told you up front that you would pay for him (an invited guest) and you agreed it would be one thing, but they just stuck you with the bill at the end without telling you.

As for club pros playing in money games, I don't see too much of an issue as long as he is giving everyone the appropriate number of strokes compared to his scoring average. I don't see why they should be banned from playing just because they are a club pro if they are playing fairly and have an equal chance as everyone else.

What should have happened was the organizer should have pulled you aside and told you, "You're paired with the pro.  We typically cover him in this competition.  Are you OK with that?"  That gives you the opportunity to back out and find a new partner.  Hell, what if you didn't have an extra $20?!?  Then you have to drive to the ATM (awkward).

Once the round was over, I would have just paid up (it's only $20) and suggested that in the future, the "cover the pro" rule is known to all before everyone tees off.

EDIT!  I see Pretzel/Tyler already suggested notifying everyone of the rule. What! is there an echo in here?!? :dance:

Occam's razor

Tell him to f*ck right off he wants to play he can pay. If his partner makes a deal with him then thats up to them but I think hes got his ego way out of whack! Even if it was Tiger or Phil I'd tell them to pay. If he can't afford $20 to play in something he wants to play in then maybe he should give up the dream of making it on tour and get a job at Mcdonalds so that he can afford an extra $20 lol Kind of sounds like this guy is a dick, but thats just my opinion.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

If you win, do you get all the winnings, or does he still get half?

This could be the key right here.  Maybe that's exactly what happens.  Perhaps it's their "custom" - however goofy it seems to the rest of us - that the player fortunate enough to get the pro as a partner has a better shot at winning.  Instead of them allowing the pro to clean up every week, they let him play with the stipulation that doesn't get to win anything, and since he doesn't get to win anything, it seems like it would make sense for the partner with the better chance at winning would cover his $20.

Anything else, and it just seems ridiculous to me.

P.S. @Strandly I actually laughed at loud at your response. :beer:

This could be the key right here.  Maybe that's exactly what happens.  Perhaps it's their "custom" - however goofy it seems to the rest of us - that the player fortunate enough to get the pro as a partner has a better shot at winning.  Instead of them allowing the pro to clean up every week, they let him play with the stipulation that doesn't get to win anything, and since he doesn't get to win anything, it seems like it would make sense for the partner with the better chance at winning would cover his $20. Anything else, and it just seems ridiculous to me. P.S. @Strandly I actually laughed at loud at your response.  :beer:

If the pro didn't win any of the money, why would he play? I bet he's keeping half (less $20 if playing with me :-D)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

this isn't that complicated, if he doesn't collect any winnings (which would be protocol at any respectable club) he shouldn't have to pay.

if he is participating in the winnings, then he must pay.

that said, i don't think a club pro should be playing in any games with its members if money is involved.

You hit the nail on the head right there.........

I've had 2 private memberships over the years, but played public golf for the past 15.     I've played with both the head pro's and assistants during this time on multiple occasions, but can't remember for sure if we ever gambled.   If we did, it was for pocket change and I promise you........they paid if they lost.  So if he beats me, I have to pay him, but he doesn't pay me if he loses?   LOL......I don't think so! :roll:

If it's a pot game where everybody dumps money into the kitty, I wouldn't mind paying for him providing it's understood that we are a team and he is playing to win his partner the $$. This would be perfectly acceptable.  As a club member....... he is the employee that works for me.   They exist solely to serve the membership and nothing more.     If a club pro asked me to pay for something on his behalf, I'd tell him to jump in the lake.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

... providing it's understood ....

Pretty much everything can be traced back to this, can't it?  Communication.  OP would've never had a problem if it was explained to him beforehand, because he'd have had a chance to make a choice.

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!