IGNORED

Tony Stewart Spins Out then Runs Over Fellow Driver, Kills Him

RJH999
Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's not highly coincidental at all, the kid was specifically going after Tony's car. The car in front of Tony barely missed the kid and then he had even less time to avoid the young man than the other car had. I'm not sure if you've read much of the comments made by other racers about how these cars are set up or not, but it's not like you can hit the breaks and swerve them like a typical vehicle.

Even under caution?

Even under caution?

Caution has nothing to do with it, the cars don't have breaks or clutches..... They have to "burp" the gas to keep from stalling out. The cars will fall back from the one in front and give a burst of speed. If the car dies it needs push started every time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Caution has nothing to do with it, the cars don't have breaks or clutches..... They have to "burp" the gas to keep from stalling out. The cars will fall back from the one in front and give a burst of speed. If the car dies it needs push started every time.

Fair enough. I certainly don't know the intricacies of racing on dirt.

Where I'm at with this is, there's too many unanswered questions at the moment to either conclude it was just a horrible accident or malicious intent. I've had people tell me, when i state that, 'It was an accident! It happens!'

Well, maybe. Nobody, at this point, truly knows for sure.

Huh?  Of course they have brakes.  No real clutch as we know it, but they can disconnect the transmission to take the car out of gear.

For more info.......

http://www.jjmotorsportsnews.com/How%20Sprintcars%20Work.htm

edited because I answered my own question.....Google is my friend. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Huh?

No brakes?!  I'm no racing expert, but I find that hard to believe.....  Not really sure that I believe they don't have a clutch either.  Can anyone explain?

I shouldn't say "no breaks" but very little in the way of breaks. I apologize.

This is a quote from a racer:

Sprint cars don't have much for brakes, and no clutch, to stop the car you kill the motor.

As for the rest about how they slow down and speed up/burping the gas to keep the cars running during cautions is right on. They have "rolling starts" because every car has to be push started before the race starts. Modifieds/Emods are different because they are closer to actual cars than sprint cars are. You have to remember, they are racing on dirt/mud and breaks are of little use on that sort of surface.

By your own post the break on the one side of the rear of the car is to help kick the rear end sideways more that it is for stopping. I should probably talk with my uncle more about this though, as he used to work in the pit crew of some sprint car racers.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

That's harsh and unfair.... If Tony got killed in the same manner, given his past of getting out of cars and being a hot head most people would say it was only a matter of time. As for Magic Johnson.... well that was a different time, I don't remember there being big stories published about his sleeping around when he was a current star. To be completely honest, I assume just about every professional athlete or other famous person probably sleeps around. Why does it matter what some famous person does in their personal life? Does it change how good they are at their sport/profession? Now, if they are involved in something that's illegal of course that matters because they are accountable to the law just like we are, but if they are sleeping around or are homosexual or whatever that shouldn't make one difference to you or me. However, I don't expect famous people to be role models, I only expect them to be good at their job.

They are just as accountable as us. Michael Jackson paid $20,000,000 to be a child molester, and the law, and the world gave him a pass. If I built an amusement park to mokest childen, I'd be in jail. You are crazy if you think regular people get treated the same as celebs and politicians. I don't think that charges would stick to Tony, because it would be hard to prove his intentions, but let's at least have a trial. And yes I agree the magic thing doesn't really apply because it's not criminal, but I think we have seen plenty of evidence celebs get treated different.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

I shouldn't say "no breaks" but very little in the way of breaks. I apologize.

This is a quote from a racer:

Sprint cars don't have much for brakes, and no clutch, to stop the car you kill the motor.

As for the rest about how they slow down and speed up/burping the gas to keep the cars running during cautions is right on. They have "rolling starts" because every car has to be push started before the race starts. Modifieds/Emods are different because they are closer to actual cars than sprint cars are. You have to remember, they are racing on dirt/mud and breaks are of little use on that sort of surface.

By your own post the break on the one side of the rear of the car is to help kick the rear end sideways more that it is for stopping. I should probably talk with my uncle more about this though, as he used to work in the pit crew of some sprint car racers.

Didn't know that about Sprint Cars, good information. So basically even if you cut the transmission the car will still be going under its own momentum. If it lock down the wheels then the car would just slid due to the conditions of the roadway. Basically Stewart's car would be like driving on a wet pavement, at highway speed and having someone walk into the path of your car with very little time to react.

I do no think there was anyway for Stewart to stop, and if the other driver walked into the driving path, moving around on dirt and mud is nearly impossible. Especially since the guy walked in on a turn. By the looks of things, the sprint cars drift around the turns. I don't see anyway for Tony to be able to avoid the other driver in this scenario, if the other driver walked into the path of the vehicle.

They are just as accountable as us. Michael Jackson paid $20,000,000 to be a child molester, and the law, and the world gave him a pass. If I built an amusement park to mokest childen, I'd be in jail. You are crazy if you think regular people get treated the same as celebs and politicians. I don't think that charges would stick to Tony, because it would be hard to prove his intentions, but let's at least have a trial. And yes I agree the magic thing doesn't really apply because it's not criminal, but I think we have seen plenty of evidence celebs get treated different.

Tell that to Martha Stewart who got thrown in jail.

The only difference is that people with money can hire better lawyers. Better Lawyers can twist the situation and find loop holes. They have more resources to find a way out of situations. Do some shady deals go down, yea, but I wouldn't call it the norm. We only think its different because we don't have that sort of money to throw around. We can't afford lawyers who get paid hundreds of dollars an hour.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If they find the evidence to warrant a trial, then by all means there should be one. Even if they don't charge him criminally I have no doubt there'll be a civil lawsuit.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Witnesses said he gunned his engine driving by the kid. That's probably enough. [quote name="Jeremie Boop" url="/t/76451/tony-stewart-spins-out-then-runs-over-fellow-driver-kills-him/30#post_1039475"]If they find the evidence to warrant a trial, then by all means there should be one. Even if they don't charge him criminally I have no doubt there'll be a civil lawsuit. [/quote]

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Didn't know that about Sprint Cars, good information. So basically even if you cut the transmission the car will still be going under its own momentum. If it lock down the wheels then the car would just slid due to the conditions of the roadway. Basically Stewart's car would be like driving on a wet pavement, at highway speed and having someone walk into the path of your car with very little time to react. I do no think there was anyway for Stewart to stop, and if the other driver walked into the driving path, moving around on dirt and mud is nearly impossible. Especially since the guy walked in on a turn. By the looks of things, the sprint cars drift around the turns. I don't see anyway for Tony to be able to avoid the other driver in this scenario, if the other driver walked into the path of the vehicle.  Tell that to Martha Stewart who got thrown in jail.  The only difference is that people with money can hire better lawyers. Better Lawyers can twist the situation and find loop holes. They have more resources to find a way out of situations. Do some shady deals go down, yea, but I wouldn't call it the norm. We only think its different because we don't have that sort of money to throw around. We can't afford lawyers who get paid hundreds of dollars an hour.

So it's not equal, that's my point. Tony is more likely to not be arrested than the kid with no money or celebrity.

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

If they find the evidence to warrant a trial, then by all means there should be one. Even if they don't charge him criminally I have no doubt there'll be a civil lawsuit.

Of course.  As long as there are lawyers......

I wonder if Stewart shouldn't sue the estate, for damage caused to his car by Ward's incredibly dumb-ass move?!

I know, I know......that was a bit insensitive.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I wonder if Stewart shouldn't sue the estate, for damage caused to his car by Ward's incredibly dumb-ass move?!

That's like a story I heard about some elderly woman who was backing out of her driveway and hit/killed a young boy who was riding his bike. This selfish b**** sued the family for an unknown amount due to "mental anguish". She claims she's mentally unstable/handicapped now due to the trauma of the event. With that said, nothing would surprise me anymore.

On topic though, I did hear that witnesses at the track are coming out and saying that Tony stopped his car immediately and ran over to the kid. That kind of changes my initial perception of what happened, since it was initially made out to seem like he hit the kid and kept on trucking.

Is there any update on this "his crew changed his rear-passenger tire" conspiracy, or the missing Sony GoPro camera?

Witnesses said he gunned his engine driving by the kid. That's probably enough.

Not really, if it were he'd already be charged.... Lots of vehicles with lots of revving going on, to accurately attribute it to a specific car on the far side of the track is pretty sketchy.

I'm not sure how to read this comment.... so I have no comment in return

That's like a story I heard about some elderly woman who was backing out of her driveway and hit/killed a young boy who was riding his bike. This selfish b**** sued the family for an unknown amount due to "mental anguish". She claims she's mentally unstable/handicapped now due to the trauma of the event. With that said, nothing would surprise me anymore.

On topic though, I did hear that witnesses at the track are coming out and saying that Tony stopped his car immediately and ran over to the kid. That kind of changes my initial perception of what happened, since it was initially made out to seem like he hit the kid and kept on trucking.

Is there any update on this "his crew changed his rear-passenger tire" conspiracy, or the missing Sony GoPro camera?

If I remember correctly it's normal to change the tires on the car when they put it on the trailer. I'm not sure about the GoPro camera.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Guys,

This is my first post on this site due to just joining. The driver that got killed lived 10 miles from me and it was a tough weekend for the local comunity. It is a shame that anger caused the death of a yound man. Younger people see  drivers on NASCAR get out and throw there helmets when they are mad at another drivers and they follow suit. It is no different than the young kids today acting like Tiger on the golf course swearing and acting out. Racing is a emotional sport and they both were wrong. Tony Stewart is a hot head but i don't belive he meant to hit him. Talking to people who were there, it look like Tony was going trying to throw dirt on Kevin and misjudged the distance. Can anyone prove either way. No and Tony will never admit guilt. In the end one man is dead and the other has to live with it.

Guys,

This is my first post on this site due to just joining. The driver that got killed lived 10 miles from me and it was a tough weekend for the local comunity. It is a shame that anger caused the death of a yound man. Younger people see  drivers on NASCAR get out and throw there helmets when they are mad at another drivers and they follow suit. It is no different than the young kids today acting like Tiger on the golf course swearing and acting out. Racing is a emotional sport and they both were wrong. Tony Stewart is a hot head but i don't belive he meant to hit him. Talking to people who were there, it look like Tony was going trying to throw dirt on Kevin and misjudged the distance. Can anyone prove either way. No and Tony will never admit guilt. In the end one man is dead and the other has to live with it.

Welcome to TST and you make a good point at the end of your post. Hopefully you stick around and contribute more!

My personal opinion on this whole thing has drastically changed after hearing more about this through ESPN and other outlets. I don't think he intentionally tried to hit him anymore and I have to admit that was kind of a crazy assumption. I do still think he tried to shoot some mud/dirt on him though, similar to what somebody would do with water near a sidewalk to someone who just flipped them off. Kind of a drive-by-splashing to say "screw you" and laugh it off as you drive away. Who knows for certain though. I would definitely assume that Tony has to feel horrible at the end of the day though.

Welcome to TST and you make a good point at the end of your post. Hopefully you stick around and contribute more!

My personal opinion on this whole thing has drastically changed after hearing more about this through ESPN and other outlets. I don't think he intentionally tried to hit him anymore and I have to admit that was kind of a crazy assumption. I do still think he tried to shoot some mud/dirt on him though, similar to what somebody would do with water near a sidewalk to someone who just flipped them off. Kind of a drive-by-splashing to say "screw you" and laugh it off as you drive away. Who knows for certain though. I would definitely assume that Tony has to feel horrible at the end of the day though.

Let's assume that's what he tried to do. It resulted in the kid being killed.

In other words, Stewart acted in a way that caused Ward's death.

That's called homicide. Doesn't matter if he 'didn't mean to,' but if it is proven that Stewart, in any way, manipulated his vehicle to target Ward, even if it was just trying to throw dirt on him, he acted maliciously. It be would as if I fired a warning shot over someone's head to scare them & the bullet ricocheted and killed the person. I'd be going to jail.

Let's assume that's what he tried to do. It resulted in the kid being killed.

In other words, Stewart acted in a way that caused Ward's death.

That's called homicide. Doesn't matter if he 'didn't mean to,' but if it is proven that Stewart, in any way, manipulated his vehicle to target Ward, even if it was just trying to throw dirt on him, he acted maliciously. It be would as if I fired a warning shot over someone's head to scare them & the bullet ricocheted and killed the person. I'd be going to jail.

Absolutely and I agree.

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!