IGNORED

Is Rickie Fowler the New Sergio Garcia?

Gary Page
Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Rickie the new Sergio (Always a Bridesmaid)?

• Yes
    • No

no, rickie is not a cocky, conceited, disillusioned chump... my apologies to any sergio fans out there who may take that personal...

I'm curious what you guys mean that he's the new Phil... seems to me he has quite a ways to go before being compared to Phil... but admittedly, I don't know much about Phil's early career.

I think they're just talking about the fact that it took Phil a little while to win a major, then once he did he won a few of them.

I agree that Rickie will win a few before its said and done.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

How do you mean? I agree he's the new Phil. I voted no in the poll.

Rickie is this cool, well dressed(debatable) and popular guy, while Phil is.....goofy, yeah let's just leave it at that.

Riley

In terms of talent right? Certainly not personality.

Just the way things may be shaping up for the next several years on tour. Rory may be the new "Tiger", the guy that can win 3 tournaments in a row, is cool under pressure and the favorite every time he tees it up, while Ricky will be the guy that's always in the hunt but may take him a little longer to break through in the majors. He may also end up being more of the "people's champion" than Rory.

I'm curious what you guys mean that he's the new Phil... seems to me he has quite a ways to go before being compared to Phil... but admittedly, I don't know much about Phil's early career.

See above and in the context of this thread I see Rickie becoming a great player, racking up multiple majors throughout his career but never quite being the best player in his generation, so to me that's more similar to Phil than Sergio. I don't see Sergio being a Hall of Fame type player.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted no, but I've become a big fan.  I always like the guy, seemed like a nice dude as far as you can tell these things.  And I liked that he was an elite athlete who had his own swing and just made it work through talent and athletic ability.

But I've become an even bigger fan because of how he got to this year.  IMO, it takes a certain combo of athletic drive and humility to realize that you've reached a ceiling and that you need to make some changes to how you play the game to fully maximize all the talent you've got.  He ate some humble pie, made some pretty big changes that must have felt like a huge risk, and then proved to himself and everyone else that he does have the level of talent he thought and was just putting himself in (swing) positions that made it too hard to perform as well as consistently as his talent level will allow.  That's a kind of athlete I'm gonna root for.

And he doesn't seem to have nearly the mental issues that Sergio had at his age.  I'm expecting, and looking forward to it, to see him win a good handful of majors over his career.  I won't pretend to know whether he can take that last step and start winning a ton instead of just placing well at majors and winning a few over 15 years.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Ricky is Ricky........................he'll cut his own path not worrying about comparisons. I had some trouble with his hat, but I'm coming around..................At least we are seeing some new talent.

Regarding the clothes he wears, if Puma offered to pay you millions of dollars to wear them, you'd wear them.

Shit, I'd play golf in my underwear clucking like a chicken if they paid me the big bucks.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

Just the way things may be shaping up for the next several years on tour. Rory may be the new "Tiger", the guy that can win 3 tournaments in a row, is cool under pressure and the favorite every time he tees it up, while Ricky will be the guy that's always in the hunt but may take him a little longer to break through in the majors. He may also end up being more of the "people's champion" than Rory.

See above and in the context of this thread I see Rickie becoming a great player, racking up multiple majors throughout his career but never quite being the best player in his generation, so to me that's more similar to Phil than Sergio. I don't see Sergio being a Hall of Fame type player.

got it... i hope you're right. The kid strikes me as a good representative for the game.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Regarding the clothes he wears, if Puma offered to pay you millions of dollars to wear them, you'd wear them.

Shit, I'd play golf in my underwear clucking like a chicken if they paid me the big bucks.

I know, right. It's gotten him more attention, more fans, more media hype. At first, we knew him as the traffic cone guy.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I like his clothes, I guess it's cause I'm young...I think he looks a hell of a lot better than McIlroy

That would't be hard.

Nike's current clothes for McIlroy are hideous.

Luke Donald and Scott always look great.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Ricky is Ricky........................he'll cut his own path not worrying about comparisons. I had some trouble with his hat, but I'm coming around..................At least we are seeing some new talent.

Ricky is actually "Rickie." [quote name="Zeph" url="/t/76457/is-rickie-fowler-the-new-sergio-garcia/0_30#post_1038985"] I know, right. It's gotten him more attention, more fans, more media hype. At first, we knew him as the traffic cone guy. [/quote] I'm thiiiiiis close to buying one of these:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ricky is actually "Rickie." I'm thiiiiiis close to buying one of these:

I dunno. I like the one that say "puma" on the front in cool writing. Like the one he had yesterday.

Riley

Westwood is the new Montgomerie.

Give Fowler a break...geez!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I dunno. I like the one that say "puma" on the front in cool writing. Like the one he had yesterday.

You're lucky I don't ban you from this thread for that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I am a fan of both Ricky and Sergio and think that Ricky's game is on an upswing with more wins coming.   I think it is unfair to say Sergio has always been a bridesmaid- with 28 worldwide wins (8 PGA, 11 Euro, 4 Asian & 5 other), I don't think there are any other professional golfers under 35 that have won more times than Sergio.  While Sergio has never won a major, he has enjoyed a lot of success.  After a bit of a lull in his career, Sergio seems to have improved his putting and may still yet get a major title.

I see their careers following much different paths- When Sergio was Ricky's current age (25 3/4), he already had 6 PGA Tour wins (and 5 on the Euro Tour) while Ricky only has 1 (plus another on the OneAsia Tour) so far.  While Ricky will be disappointed if he doesn't win a major by the time he is Sergio's current age (35 in January 2015), I bet he would take all the titles Sergio won under the age of 26.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I originally messed up, but still voted no.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

You're lucky I don't ban you from this thread for that.

That's funny.

I was watching the end with the wife and commented on how much I hated the new ones.  I'm not that fond of the old ones but the new ones, uugghhh.

I do love the fact that he wears orange on sundays.

It's my high school colors and I won't play without orange tees.  :)

Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!