IGNORED

Robin Williams Dead of Suicide at 63

iacas
Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From Good Morning Vietnam -

Master Sergeant, pointing at his stripes: "Three up and three down. Do you know what that means?"

Cronauer (Robin Williams): "End of an inning?"

My favorite is when Robert Wuhls character first meets him and over excitedly asks him "Can you say something funny RIGHT NOW?" And Cronaur just goes "I doubt it". Then Wuhls bursts out laughing. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its not cowardly, and its not selfish. Depression turns you inside out. You can't think, or breathe, and some days it just seems easier to end it all. Trust me.

Agreed. Depression is not a rational state of mind, so logic is thrown out the window. Anybody who has never experienced depression, who is looking from the outside and passing judgement on those who suffer from it, should count themselves lucky.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Can we not just use this thread to celebrate his life and times and leave the debates about suicide and depression for another thread? I would like to just talk about his life without having to read people's idiotic and prehistoric views on depression.

Perhaps someone can start a suicide thread and have it out in there, it'll likely be just as much fun as the Drug thread and I will likely abstain from participating for fear of losing my shit on someone and getting PB'd.

Anyway, The World According to Garp was probably one of my favourites, great performance and now whenever I reread the book I see Robin Williams as Garp.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Can we not just use this thread to celebrate his life and times and leave the debates about suicide and depression for another thread? I would like to just talk about his life without having to read people's idiotic and prehistoric views on depression.  Perhaps someone can start a suicide thread and have it out in there, it'll likely be just as much fun as the Drug thread and I will likely abstain from participating for fear of losing my shit on someone and getting PB'd. [rule] Anyway, The World According to Garp was probably one of my favourites, great performance and now whenever I reread the book I see Robin Williams as Garp.

Re-watched Good Will Hunting last night. Still great, and his character is still the best part.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Re-watched Good Will Hunting last night. Still great, and his character is still the best part.

Unfortunately, I found out too late to get out to the video store so I just watched a bunch of youtube clips. Might rent something tonight though.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Super, super sad news. When I heard this yesterday while we were eating dinner, I was just like "Yeah, right. Fox News fell for a hoax". It sucked really bad when I saw it on MSNBC, CNN, HLN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.

The Birdcage was absolutely hilarious. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it.

Can we not just use this thread to celebrate his life and times and leave the debates about suicide and depression for another thread? I would like to just talk about his life without having to read people's idiotic and prehistoric views on depression.

Perhaps someone can start a suicide thread and have it out in there, it'll likely be just as much fun as the Drug thread and I will likely abstain from participating for fear of losing my shit on someone and getting PB'd.

Anyway, The World According to Garp was probably one of my favourites, great performance and now whenever I reread the book I see Robin Williams as Garp.

I agree it's best to focus on the good from his life, but it's hard to keep the talk of suicide out of the discussion. People have very deep feelings about it one way or the other a lot of the time. I have struggled\do struggle with depression and have had the thoughts myself but always was able to find a reason that life was the better option. I had an uncle who didn't who's son found him, so I'm firmly in the camp of negative feelings about suicide. BUT to keep this about the positive aspects of Robin Williams:

Patch Adams and Bicentennial Man are also very good movies that he made. He was also able to play a dark and sinister character which I found very impressive as in One Hour Photo.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I agree it's best to focus on the good from his life, but it's hard to keep the talk of suicide out of the discussion. People have very deep feelings about it one way or the other a lot of the time. I have struggled\do struggle with depression and have had the thoughts myself but always was able to find a reason that life was the better option. I had an uncle who didn't who's son found him, so I'm firmly in the camp of negative feelings about suicide. BUT to keep this about the positive aspects of Robin Williams: Patch Adams and Bicentennial Man are also very good movies that he made. He was also able to play a dark and sinister character which I found very impressive as in One Hour Photo.

I totally understand and there is nothing stopping you, or anyone else, from starting a thread to discuss this.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I totally understand and there is nothing stopping you, or anyone else, from starting a thread to discuss this.

Maybe change the title of the thread? If you want people to take the suicide talk elsewhere thats totally fair, but the word suicide is in the title and that makes it confusing for guys. Trust me nobody here (I dont think) is trying to fan any flames I know I wasnt. Im sorry if my uneducated words on depression and suicide offended anyone. As a dad I just always think of the kids in this situation first and foremost.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Or maybe I'll just start a thread called Remembering Robin Williams. Or maybe I'm just done here. Carry on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Or maybe I'll just start a thread called Remembering Robin Williams. Or maybe I'm just done here. Carry on.

?

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Or maybe I'll just start a thread called Remembering Robin Williams. Or maybe I'm just done here.

Carry on.

I actually like the idea of a thread all about the best of Robin Williams, leaves nothing to debate about other than our favorite scenes/appearances/characters of him.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

?

It's all good. No worries.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Dead Poets Society quote I love:

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

Why do we read poetry? To woo women. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Dead Again [video]http://youtu.be/ko3KXQErTJA[/video] It's the karmic credit plan. Buy now, pay forever. I wonder if Williams wrote that, it sounds an awful lot like him. [video]http://youtu.be/lnGyvXqCdVM[/video]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!