IGNORED

Robin Williams Dead of Suicide at 63

iacas
Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My awesome mother sent me this today.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never watched Mork and Mindy, but then I saw him live doing standup and saw The World According to Garp. I became a fan for life. Something I never missed was when he would appear on a talk show. He was always at his manic best and the hosts just loved being with him. They were as entertained as the audience.

So saddened, I will miss him so much.

Bill M

He was always at his manic best and the hosts just loved being with him. They were as entertained as the audience.

In those interviews you could always see that he had the "happy face" on and you knew that the pain would return the moment the cameras were off. He was clearly an unhappy soul.

Of all the celebrity deaths, this is one that doesn't surprise, sadly

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

He was always at his manic best and the hosts just loved being with him. They were as entertained as the audience.

In those interviews you could always see that he had the "happy face" on and you knew that the pain would return the moment the cameras were off. He was clearly an unhappy soul.

Of all the celebrity deaths, this is one that doesn't surprise, sadly

Robin Williams wasn't an unhappy soul. He was a beautiful soul. A wonderful person who made millions laugh, cry and feel things they otherwise were unable to feel without his help. Was he unhappy, morose, depressed and dark at varying times in life, particularly the end? Of course. But I would never finalize his existence as "an unhappy soul." What he clearly had was some form of a mental illness that finally took his life for reasons we all probably never understand.

Robin Williams wasn't happy all the time. He wasn't sad all the time. He had a range of emotion few humans are capable of comprehending, even when they see it on display in a play or movie. In the end, he was simply a man, one so full of life, it couldn't be contained in a single glib statement or sentence or breath.

I do understand your point however, and a friend said the same thing to me last night over the phone, particularly about his talk show interviews. He wasn't terribly surprised either, and maybe I shouldn't be. But I can't categorize Robin Williams as an unhappy soul. He's someone I've never met. I prefer to remember him as a wonderful but flawed individual who made a terrible mistake in his final moments. He was a person that felt so much that for whatever reason he couldn't survive an idle August morning on a Monday in 2014.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't turn into an argument as I do respect your opinion. It's very scary to think that for all the manic happiness he could display on stage in those interviews, in his darkest times, he was likely experiencing the exact opposite roller coaster of emptiness, loneliness, and hopelessness.

But for all that, I choose to remember him for the beauty, empathy, and kindness he showed again and again throughout his career. He was almost like everyone's crazy uncle who always knew how to make us smile when we were down or tell us how things really were when we were indifferent. It truly is amazing to see how many people he touched so deeply by the outpouring of support since the announcement of his death.

• Upvote 2

Constantine

The gut wrenching part is reading the tweets by his teenage daughter about loving and missing her dad.

You'd like to think that no matter how bad things got that you wouldn't take your own life, especially when you have children that it will effect directly.

But then again, I don't have issues with clinical depression so I don't know where he was mentally and emotionally.

This goes to show that the wealthy are not immune to mental disorders any more than any of the rest of us.

He was a cool guy, and the world is worse off without him.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

I'll tell you one thing I absolutely HATE. Not joking.

Something like this happens and people have to address tweets or whatever in the second person

" You did this... You did that"  Not "He or "Robin Williams"

Translation: I want everyone to know what a compassionate and eloquent person I am. I'll wrote a note to a deceased person.

There was a time when people had these thoughts and they simply remained so. Thoughts.   At least use third person if one must publicise their thoughts in an "it's all about me" culture.

And when it comes from daughters or partners it's worse. They don't have those private conversations that they should have had, so they burnish their own reputations on Twitter. Great stuff.

BTW - Wife is in the same house, but he's discovered at lunchtime by his assistant. Does seem like an odd situation.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

So I went to the video store (yep, still got 'em in Canada) to rent The World According to Garp as my farewell. Looked everywhere and started to get annoyed with the video store's bizarre concept for the alphabet when I discovered that THEY HAD POOLED EVERY MOVIE HE EVER MADE INTO ONE SEPARATE SECTION! I thought it was a really nice touch and acknowledgement of how we all mourn his loss. Well done. I'm going to get all drunk and maudlin while watching, but sometimes sorrow mixed with nostalgia is the one of the most powerful and life affirming emotions we can experience. If there was no sorrow how could we ever appreciate joy?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

So I went to the video store (yep, still got 'em in Canada) to rent The World According to Garp as my farewell. Looked everywhere and started to get annoyed with the video store's bizarre concept for the alphabet when I discovered that THEY HAD POOLED EVERY MOVIE HE EVER MADE INTO ONE SEPARATE SECTION! I thought it was a really nice touch and acknowledgement of how we all mourn his loss. Well done. I'm going to get all drunk and maudlin while watching, but sometimes sorrow mixed with nostalgia is the one of the most powerful and life affirming emotions we can experience. If there was no sorrow how could we ever appreciate joy?

You seem to be taking this hard. You seem like you need a hug.[IMG]http://www.imgion.com/images/01/Bear-Hug-.jpg[/IMG]

Riley

You seem to be taking this hard. You seem like you need a hug.[IMG]http://www.imgion.com/images/01/Bear-Hug-.jpg[/IMG]

You know what, I am taking this hard and I'm not even that big of a fan. I was discussing this with my wife just now and I think it's because his first film role of note was the first film based on a John Irving novel and John Irving is very close to my heart. So I guess it's a little bit of transference, and I'm thinking I should start saving my money because the day that John Irving passes will be devastating to me and I think I would like very much to attend his funeral. Any way, sad, sad stuff. I'm a big old softie and have been told on many occasions that I'm just too damn sensitive for my own good. Whatever, I like who I am. Edit* as a final (possibly) comment, let me just say that if the character Jenny Fields had been a real person, I think she would have been exceedingly proud of what young Garp had accomplished in the "real" world.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Whatever, I like who I am.

:beer:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

My awesome mother sent me this today.

Patch Adams has a 23% at Rotten Tomatoes.

I always liked that movie. Quite a bit, actually.

Donner, party of fifty?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Patch Adams has a 23% at Rotten Tomatoes.

I always liked that movie. Quite a bit, actually.

Donner, party of fifty?

I agree as well. It might not be one of his best roles, but it was a good movie.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I agree as well. It might not be one of his best roles, but it was a good movie.

Full disclosure: never saw it, but I do love my mom. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I tune in to watch Mork and Mindy to watch Mindy cause I thought she was cute but over the years I grown to appreciate the incredible performer Robin William became. Very sad at the loss just like everyone else has posted

When Johnny Carson signed off for good, Robin Williams was one of the last guests. It was well known that Johnny wanted to save his favorites for last.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs[/VIDEO] Just saw this video linked to. Robin Williams playing around with Koko the sign language gorilla.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Norm MacDonald's tribute offers the essence of Robin Williams. A good soul.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/norm-macdonald-met-robin-williams-funniest-man-world/story?id=24950575

• Upvote 2

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!