IGNORED

picking a new golf ball

BrownCoast
Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play Top-Flite's D2 Straight, for no other reason than I like the price and the box. (blue)

I pick up NXT's, and give the Pro V1's from my yard to my buddies, who have no business playing them.  If I can finish hole # 1 tomorrow, with an NXT, I will break my record.  54 holes with the same ball.  Old record a TF Straight.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played nine again tonight, two balls MG and ProV1:

MG 38, 2 GIR, 5 NGIR, 1 Sand save, 4 NGIR conversions, 14 putts, 1 penalty.

ProV1 45, 3 GIR, 3 NGIR, 1 NGIR conversion, 16 putts.

That is some impressive results. and a large gap between scores. Difference of 7 over 9 holes is huge.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I play Top-Flite's D2 Straight, for no other reason than I like the price and the box. (blue)

I pick up NXT's, and give the Pro V1's from my yard to my buddies, who have no business playing them.  If I can finish hole # 1 tomorrow, with an NXT, I will break my record.  54 holes with the same ball.  Old record a TF Straight.

how do those D2 straight feel on wedge shots and putts? I'm assuming its a harder cover therefore pretty firm feel

how do those D2 straight feel on wedge shots and putts? I'm assuming its a harder cover therefore pretty firm feel

Probably not good enough to give a good response, but I like the firm feel.  I try to use the rule of 12 (13) when chipping, so I don't want the ball to check up.

Putts feel the same.  All guess work outside of 5 ft anyway.

After a LOT of looking at balls, I'm gonna get me some Srixon Q-Star's. I bought the Z Stars by mistake, but played them last weekend, and although they are listed as a ball for swing speeds of 105 and up, I liked them, so trying out the Q star's only seem logical for my slower swing speed. They run about 24.99 per doz.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsandy

Played nine again tonight, two balls MG and ProV1:

MG 38, 2 GIR, 5 NGIR, 1 Sand save, 4 NGIR conversions, 14 putts, 1 penalty.

ProV1 45, 3 GIR, 3 NGIR, 1 NGIR conversion, 16 putts.

That is some impressive results. and a large gap between scores. Difference of 7 over 9 holes is huge.

The streak has been broken. Last night results:

ProV1 40, 1 GIR, 6 NGIR, 4 NGIR conversions 14 putts

MG ball 44, 2 GIR, 3 NGIR, 2 NGIR conversions, 16 putts, 1 OB

For the drives on 3 holes I felt I hit essentially the same, both balls were relatively close to each other, the MG was further by, 10, 8, 7 yards.

For the last six 9 hole rounds recorded, the MG is better by 18 strokes or 3 per 9 holes.

I will probably do this one more time tonight and will report the final result. Then I'm headed north for a 3 day golf outing. Playing 2 balls for 9 holes in 1:45 is wearing on me, I need to play 1-18 hole round with 4 people to relax :)

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Those are still great results for a 'no name" ball competing against a tour level ball.

Those are still great results for a 'no name" ball competing against a tour level ball.

To take a line from a book I read, Lowest Score Wins. My results show this ball can produce lower scores, at least for me. Their web site shows a robot test comparison that states the MG is +9.2 longer in total driving distance over the PV1. My observations confirm this, at least anecdotally. The robot test for wedge spin was essentially the same, which again, I concur with, both balls perform the same into the green.

Bob

WITB

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Final comparison round. I played from the blacks (tips) tonight for a change, 3451 yards. The other rounds were from the Blues (middle) 3050 average.

PV1 44, 2 GIR, 1 NGIR, 15 putts

MG ball 44, 2 GIR, 1 NGIR, 16 putts

All four GIRs were on the par 3s.

One par 3 was 223 yd water in front bunkers on both sides into a stiff wind. I hit a driver to within 6 feet with the MG and made the birdie putt. The PV1 was a par.

The other par 3 had 2 regulation pars.

This will be my last comparison round, bottom line I will be switching to this ball after I use up the bucket of PV1s I have or maybe I'll just sell them on EBay. I like this new ball. If you like PV1 you should try it. I would be interested to hear other's feedback

Bob

WITB

Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!