IGNORED

I just went against eveything I believe in and bought a new SLDR Driver........

Note: This thread is 3504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

..............sight unseen and untested!!!!!!!  I've never even held one in my hands before or seen one in person.  LOL

I strongly believe buying a driver without testing in front of launch monitors is a foolish idea.  At the very least, testing on the range is a must.  I don't even think this is enough.............without seeing the data, it still may not be a good fit depending on the launch data and ball RPMs.  The ball flight may look good in the air at the range, but you could be losing 10-20yds distance without even knowing it!!!!  I've owned several TM drivers over the years that tested well in the past, so at least I have that going for me.  LOL

With that said............

I just snapped my SW so I went online to buy a new one because I knew what kind I wanted.  Wedges are different I see no problem ordering them online.   It's all about the look, loft, bounce, and feel...etc, etc...

My current driver is a Taylor Made R9 Super TRI and it's getting long in the tooth.  While ordering my wedge,  impulse struck and I clicked "order now" on a new SDLR too.   I've read a lot about the club and I've been interested in it since the release.   Everything about this club "PREACHES".....use more loft than you are used to get the most out of this club design.   I've used a 9-9.5 degree driver for as long as I can remember and the lowest degree available in the SDLR is 10degrees..................that isn't much more than my current driver so I drank the Cool Aid and ordered something way out of my comfort zone.............a 12degree!!!   Aaaaargh.....I am so stupid!!....this could be a huge waste of $350.......LOL  I've never hit a driver with this must loft in my life, but everything about this club suggests the design of the club requires much more loft than a player is accustomed to get the best results.

We'll see how it goes....LOL

I hope to have it by this weekend!!  I can't believe I made this purchase without testing it first!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

460 or 430? 57 or 65 speeder? I need to update my profile because I no longer own a sldr though the reason rests on me I believe more than the club, I was not clearing properly and getting stuck with my driver swing and consequently flipping through the hitting zone causing a weak pull hook, but when I did swing it well from time to far away time this club was very long, I really wish I would have waited to get rid of it because I now think I may want it back lol.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I ordered the SDLR s-460cc.(silver model).............Fujikura 57 speeder stiff shaft.  I won't change my sig until they are in my bag... LOL

I've done well with both Callaway and TM in recent years when it comes to the heavy lumber.   I shied away from the Callaway drivers when I blew apart my FT5.   I still use a FT 3wood, Razr 5wood and Razr rescue.   Next up on the replacement list for me is the FT 3-wood....I've had it for awhile, but I hit it so well I am resistant to update.  It is getting long in the tooth though...... in time, new technology wins when it comes long clubs. IMO.....

When it comes to irons, I don't make changes very often.

What's in Paul's Bag:

Looking forward to hearing how it pans out @BuckeyeNut

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where did you buy it?  Some places, like Golfsmith have a "playability" guarantee.  Play it for a period of time (IIRR Golfsmith is 90 days) and if you don't like it, return it for 90%-100% credit towards the purchase of another club.  Tough to go wrong with something like that.

Good luck......let us know how you like it!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Where did you buy it?  Some places, like Golfsmith have a "playability" guarantee.  Play it for a period of time (IIRR Golfsmith is 90 days) and if you don't like it, return it for 90%-100% credit towards the purchase of another club.  Tough to go wrong with something like that.

Good luck......let us know how you like it!

I bought online from Edwin Watts because this is where I shop in person.

My favorite golf store in the KC area was a family owned company with 2 locations in the metro area.  Their selection was always the best and they also had indoor ranges with the pro-style launch monitors I love!!!!!   They were bought out by Edwin Watts a few years ago....ugh!   Even since the buyout, it's still the best place I know to shop locally.  They carry the good stuff I want....Unlike many of the chains like Dicks, etc, etc...  Even so.....buying clubs is still a painful and frustrating experience for me as a left hand golfer.  YES.....all major brands/models are now available in LH, but finding what I want on the shelf for testing is a whole different story.    I often go in with a specific club in mind and it's not on the shelf....drives me nuts!

This has a lot to do with why I said to hell with it and ordered "BLIND" online.

What's in Paul's Bag:

BuckeyeNut: Two things... 1. I put an SLDR in the bag recently (gray and heavy like you) and am pleased. Like the feel, sound, flight, etc. 2. Need more pics of the chic in your profile. :)

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

BuckeyeNut:

Two things...

1. I put an SLDR in the bag recently (gray and heavy like you) and am pleased. Like the feel, sound, flight, etc.

2. Need more pics of the chic in your profile. :)

yes...I am looking forward to trying the new stick.

....and yes, she has certain attributes that definitely command a mans attention!!   You should have seen my old profile pic.......   It was forcefully removed by the forum admins!!!!  LOL ...no joke!

It was a very different type of pic.   There are  both Boob-men and Azz-men, and my previous profile pic catered to the latter and it was removed due to complaints.  The pic was of a lady golfer with a nice exposed backside as she bent over to pick up a ball on a putting green......lol

What's in Paul's Bag:

yes...I am looking forward to trying the new stick. ....and yes, she has certain attributes that definitely command a mans attention!!   You should have seen my old profile pic.......   It was forcefully removed by the forum admins!!!!  LOL ...no joke!    It was a very different type of pic.   There are  both Boob-men and Azz-men, and my previous profile pic catered to the latter and it was removed due to complaints.  The pic was of a lady golfer with a nice exposed backside as she bent over to pick up a ball on a putting green......lol

communist ba$tards!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I was in the market for a new driver earlier this summer, and surprisingly while narrowing it down the final two ended up being the Big bertha alpha and the sldr.  It was surprising to me because I'm typically not big on taylormade or callaway, but those two drivers blew everything else I tested out of the water.  Ended up going with the bb because I personally found it slightly easier to hit straight than the sldr, and I liked the sound and look at address better, but both are very solid clubs and, in my opinion, miles better than the other current drivers available.

Hope the new d stick works well for you!

yes...I am looking forward to trying the new stick.

....and yes, she has certain attributes that definitely command a mans attention!!   You should have seen my old profile pic.......   It was forcefully removed by the forum admins!!!!  LOL ...no joke!

It was a very different type of pic.   There are  both Boob-men and Azz-men, and my previous profile pic catered to the latter and it was removed due to complaints.  The pic was of a lady golfer with a nice exposed backside as she bent over to pick up a ball on a putting green......lol

What? Not the avatar you had forever of the chick with her skirt riding up? Didi I miss a more "racy" one in the interim?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

What? Not the avatar you had forever of the chick with her skirt riding up? Didi I miss a more "racy" one in the interim?

That's the one........moderators took it away due to complaints.  LOL

I have an update on the new SDLR.   It arrived Tuesday and I couldn't resist the urge to play.   I teed off at about 6pm and I completed 15 holes before dark. (skipping around some)   It was after a long day and the temps were in the mid 90s.   My first experience was HORRID!!   I hit it lower than my old driver and hit a bunch of dive-bomb hooks that went nowhere.  My driver play has been extremely sketchy this summer as a whole, so I can only blame myself.   I hit 2-3 balls from every tee and lost a bunch of balls!!  I damn near emptied my bag...HEH    I experimented with moving the ball forward and hitting up, but I was still hitting a big hook that wasn't going far.

I slept on it, and I never really thought about opening my stance to play a completely different shot!! LOL.......with the way I've been hooking the ball with all my clubs, I decided to make an effort to play a higher fade.

Day 2:

I opened my stance and dared myself to miss left and never did.   My ball flight was high and pretty straight with just a small fade....LOVED IT!!.  I only did this on holes that I felt comfortable on an intermittent basis, but I will continue with this transition without use of the range.   I didn't hit many long drives,  but I didn't care.  I was trying for a certain ball flight and was achieving it while keeping the ball in play.  I did hit a couple really long drives for me, so I know I can do it playing the fade.   I still need to get comfortable with the setup before I can swing aggressively.

I'm doing this with my irons too with some success.   My ball contact wasn't always as crisp as I am accustomed too, but I liked the ball flight.  Once I get a little more confident with the fade, I'll start letting it rip.  I hit the balls where I wanted, but came up short on some because I caught a few just a tad heavy.   When I hit it clean...the ball soared and stuck the greens like lawn darts!

How weird, I buy a driver and it's suddenly the final straw that broke the camels back, and now I decide to play a new ball flight..LOL  So far so good...  I'm not doing a swing change......it's just a setup and ball position change so it's not like I'm starting from scratch.   I carded a 76 today while making a change..LOL......definitely a fluke.  I am sure some high scores will come when I commit fully and attempt to aim towards and fade away from trouble.

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 2 weeks later...

I logged 11-12 rounds with the SDLR and placed it into instant retirement as of today!!!!

I used my old driver today......I could swing-away freely and launch it high, far(for me),  and fairly straight, albeit a push that got me into some trouble on a few holes.   I played 9 holes just experimenting while hitting multiple balls from each tee. (losing several) My playing with the SDLR, eliminated my hook with my old driver!!  LOL  Weird!!!!  My old R9 Super Tri felt like a dear old friend!!  I hit it differently, but I liked what I saw because I was struggling with a hook when I bought the SDLR.

Hitting it wasn't like jumping back on an old bike.......I had changed my ball position, grip, etc, etc, etc... over the past few weeks, and I figured switching back to my old driver and setup would give me the same result....NOPE!

My old driver definitely hands down is the better club for me.   I don't blame the SDLR.........clubheads are only a tiny bit of the equation..........the shaft is the most important part of a club and the 57 speeder shaft is no good for me.   I will give it a rest for now, but plan to eventually have a professional fitting to replace the shaft.   For now, I am sticking with my old driver.   I just don't want to mess with it right now..... I want to let my $350 dollar mistake simmer for awhile..

On the back nine, I played for a score and drove the ball well in spite of only hitting 3/7 fairways.   I hit everything dead solid with a nice launch and ball speed.....   One stray cost me a double-bogey and this was my only blemish on the card.........   I carded a +2 score of 38.

For now, my experiment is over....

What's in Paul's Bag:

I logged 11-12 rounds with the SDLR and placed it into instant retirement as of today!!!!

I used my old driver today......I could swing-away freely and launch it high, far(for me),  and fairly straight, albeit a push that got me into some trouble on a few holes.   I played 9 holes just experimenting while hitting multiple balls from each tee. (losing several) My playing with the SDLR, eliminated my hook with my old driver!!  LOL  Weird!!!!  My old R9 Super Tri felt like a dear old friend!!  I hit it differently, but I liked what I saw because I was struggling with a hook when I bought the SDLR.

Hitting it wasn't like jumping back on an old bike.......I had changed my ball position, grip, etc, etc, etc... over the past few weeks, and I figured switching back to my old driver and setup would give me the same result....NOPE!

My old driver definitely hands down is the better club for me.   I don't blame the SDLR.........clubheads are only a tiny bit of the equation..........the shaft is the most important part of a club and the 57 speeder shaft is no good for me.   I will give it a rest for now, but plan to eventually have a professional fitting to replace the shaft.   For now, I am sticking with my old driver.   I just don't want to mess with it right now..... I want to let my $350 dollar mistake simmer for awhile..

On the back nine, I played for a score and drove the ball well in spite of only hitting 3/7 fairways.   I hit everything dead solid with a nice launch and ball speed.....   One stray cost me a double-bogey and this was my only blemish on the card.........   I carded a +2 score of 38.

For now, my experiment is over....

Did you get fitted at all?

Not sure what you have in your R9. The 57 speeder is a 45.5 inch shaft and is less than 60 grams. That is probably a big difference to get use to. Also the weighting might be different. I had a Ping G10 that I cut an inch off and it took me about two weeks to get comfortable with it again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I tried the SLDR as well a couple months ago and just didn't like it. The forgiveness is a big thing for me and I just didn't like the way the mishits looked.. went back to my 913 and those mishits still turned out to be fairly okay shots. The club works for some, not all. Also, I didn't like the look of the club at address.. just can't get over that for some reason. It's going to take something really special for me to put my 913 aside and the SLDR just wasn't it.

Someone already asked but have you looked into possibly getting fit for your SLDR? I did and it was completely different than what I just went to the store to hit. I did gain about 5 yards per shot on average compared to my current driver but the consistency wasn't there for me. I'd say give it a shot after getting actually fit for it, you never know.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I hit one a month or so ago and I just hated how it felt to me the SLDR feels dead.  I hit it pretty well not as far as my current driver but it was someone else's driver. I smashed the first one right down the middle of the fairway. Im sure I would/could hit it further if someone tinkered with loft and all the bells and whistles. I really like the way it looks but the sound and feel just aren't for me.

Note: This thread is 3504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!