IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

I'm not sure what you're asking. What yardages? It's GPS - it knows where you hit each shot and the location of the next shot.

The edits are to move the little dots around a little. Sometimes it's not even GPS error. Sometimes I forget to tag a putt until I'm on the fringe, so I tag it there and know I can move it later.

The system has no way of knowing where the hole is, either, so you often have to adjust the "flag" dot to show where the hole is.

The total yardage for each hole. And which tees (red, white, blue, back) you're hitting off of.

I just saw a Bloomberg segment on golf, this competitor product was discussed:

https://arccosgolf.com/#/

It looks the same in concept except you don't have to tag your shots, the system detects you hitting the ball.

Similar price point too, it would be interesting if you could arrange a comparison, then whichever one you don't want you can ship to me.

Brad

It's $299 at the special price available now. The regular price is listed at $399.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The total yardage for each hole. And which tees (red, white, blue, back) you're hitting off of.

I'm still not sure what you're asking. Please give an example.

It uses GPS. It knows the distances between your shots.

The first hole at WW shows up as 437 yards in my last round there, and that isn't a listed yardage: http://whisperingwoodsgc.com/golf/course/hole_1 . So if you're asking how it got 437 yards, it probably added up my shots or something. I don't know - I don't really worry about stuff like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm still not sure what you're asking. Please give an example. It uses GPS. It knows the distances between your shots. The first hole at WW shows up as 437 yards in my last round there, and that isn't a listed yardage: [URL=http://whisperingwoodsgc.com/golf/course/hole_1]http://whisperingwoodsgc.com/golf/course/hole_1[/URL] . So if you're asking how it got 437 yards, it probably added up my shots or something. I don't know - I don't really worry about stuff like that.

Sorry for the confusion. Yeah, the total yardage for each hole as listed in the scorecard. So first hole is 426 Blue, 445 Black. In the grand scheme, not that important, but just wondering.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm still not sure what you're asking. Please give an example. It uses GPS. It knows the distances between your shots. The first hole at WW shows up as 437 yards in my last round there, and that isn't a listed yardage: [URL=http://whisperingwoodsgc.com/golf/course/hole_1]http://whisperingwoodsgc.com/golf/course/hole_1[/URL] . So if you're asking how it got 437 yards, it probably added up my shots or something. I don't know - I don't really worry about stuff like that.

Courses on applications like these (GPS) included have to get the course mapped before hand from a specific point.. Tee to green.. So, if someone entered the data for that number hole course from a specific point, that means that when you are standing there the system says ok from where you are standing to the green is x. So, what he is asking is what if the person who mapped from the blue tees put the wrong data, or what if they picked a point that was 10 yards ahead of where the tee is usually placed? I am sure there is a way to fix/adjust these things though either by contacting them or updating your self. I know that if I wanted to buy one I would have to map out the course in Riyadh as it wouldn't be available, just like I did for the swing by swing application! However, if you play on well known courses I'm sure they are pre mapped, and the answer of not caring is probably the most appropriate as the difference in yardage if there were mistakes would be minimal!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

This seems really cool.

Perhaps the pin position issue could be addressed by having the user tap the putter at the hole when he picks up the ball.  The software could recognize the last tap as the hole location instead.

I would be interested to know, at the end of your review, whether you think this could replace other stat tracking apps completely.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Courses on applications like these (GPS) included have to get the course mapped before hand from a specific point.. Tee to green.. So, if someone entered the data for that number hole course from a specific point, that means that when you are standing there the system says ok from where you are standing to the green is x. So, what he is asking is what if the person who mapped from the blue tees put the wrong data, or what if they picked a point that was 10 yards ahead of where the tee is usually placed? I am sure there is a way to fix/adjust these things though either by contacting them or updating your self. I know that if I wanted to buy one I would have to map out the course in Riyadh as it wouldn't be available, just like I did for the swing by swing application! However, if you play on well known courses I'm sure they are pre mapped, and the answer of not caring is probably the most appropriate as the difference in yardage if there were mistakes would be minimal!

This broaches the broader question in my mind. Will it involve more setup if the course is not well known? It looks like if the gps satellite maps GG uses are up to date, it should be fine. It sounds like @iacas and @mvmac didn't have to input course info, even the name? Not a big deal but inputting course data is a pain. In all the vids and photos, it looks like the gps device is worn on the dominant side and it's not slim. I guess it doesn't get in the way of any swings and it's the more convenient side to tap.

Steve

I wonder how well it would work in foreign areas with poorer satellite images. My home course is more blurry than Whispering Woods.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
Courses on applications like these (GPS) included have to get the course mapped before hand from a specific point.. Tee to green.. So, if someone entered the data for that number hole course from a specific point, that means that when you are standing there the system says ok from where you are standing to the green is x.

So, what he is asking is what if the person who mapped from the blue tees put the wrong data, or what if they picked a point that was 10 yards ahead of where the tee is usually placed?

I don't think the both of you are understanding what I'm saying: based on a cursory look at a few holes (for example, look at the second hole: 153 yard first shot, 18 yard second shot, 1 yard putt = 172… which is what it says. Yet the site lists no yardage close to that.

The first hole: says 437. 260 + 166 + 10 = 436. Add a yard for the putt… and there you go.

The course yardage and the hole yardages are somewhat irrelevant. You hit your shots from certain places. Plus, I don't understand why the yardage matters: who cares if it says 437 when the blue tees say 426?

I am sure there is a way to fix/adjust these things though either by contacting them or updating your self.

Again, absolutely no need for that. They don't seem to be "mapped" yardages.

I know that if I wanted to buy one I would have to map out the course in Riyadh as it wouldn't be available, just like I did for the swing by swing application!

You wouldn't map it yourself. I think they just go on Google Maps / Google Earth or something and map the locations of fairways, bunkers, etc.

Perhaps the pin position issue could be addressed by having the user tap the putter at the hole when he picks up the ball.  The software could recognize the last tap as the hole location instead.

No need. GPS isn't super accurate to begin with.

I would be interested to know, at the end of your review, whether you think this could replace other stat tracking apps completely.

Like what? You could probably compare the stats offered versus whatever you currently use.

At this point I think it rates as a little more "cool" than "super useful" but they are adding features all the time.

This broaches the broader question in my mind. Will it involve more setup if the course is not well known? It looks like if the gps satellite maps GG uses are up to date, it should be fine. It sounds like @iacas and @mvmac didn't have to input course info, even the name? Not a big deal but inputting course data is a pain.

You turn it on. It figures out where you are pretty quickly.

If you want to see if your course is "mapped" (again I think they just do it on Google Earth or something), you go here: https://www.gamegolf.com/find-a-course.

In all the vids and photos, it looks like the gps device is worn on the dominant side and it's not slim. I guess it doesn't get in the way of any swings and it's the more convenient side to tap.

It's very small. It will not get in the way of anything.

I wonder how well it would work in foreign areas with poorer satellite images. My home course is more blurry than Whispering Woods.

I don't know if they're really worried about the market outside of the U.S. currently. Your map wasn't too bad though. It's certainly usable.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At this point I think it rates as a little more "cool" than "super useful" but they are adding features all the time.

That's my concern with it. At that price point, I'm looking for "super useful" and not just "cool." I was hoping it had some LSW application potential, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Like what? You could probably compare the stats offered versus whatever you currently use.

I use oobgolf which is frustrating because it doesn't present the data well, but it does let me slice and dice--I keep track of 5 or 6 stats and it derives many other stats from those and lets me limit by date, course, club, etc.  I can see progression over time, too.  I don't think that's the focus of game golf, so I'd be tracking my game in 2 places--actually 3 because I have to keep my official handicap elsewhere.  I might get this anyway, but if it could completely replace my stat tracking app I'd buy it right now.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

That's my concern with it. At that price point, I'm looking for "super useful" and not just "cool." I was hoping it had some LSW application potential, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

I get the sense that they care a little more about the "social" aspect of golf right now. Which probably makes sense… the number of golfers who care about stats (crossed by what GG could reasonably provide) is probably small.

I get the sense that they care a little more about the "social" aspect of golf right now. Which probably makes sense… the number of golfers who care about stats (crossed by what GG could reasonably provide) is probably small.

Not to mention it's a great way to inspire your golf buddies to go buy one. ;-)

It seems like there has been a price drop. It appears they are selling for $200 now. I think they listed for $240 before.

- Shane

Not to mention it's a great way to inspire your golf buddies to go buy one.

It seems like there has been a price drop. It appears they are selling for $200 now. I think they listed for $240 before.

Whoa, you're right!  It's only $200 at Golf Galaxy as well.  (Previously listed at 250)

Now I can get it AND get a few other useless golf items and still pay nothing. :beer:

Ok. Thought about it and Erik is right that the course yardage is irrelevant.. The device is being used to measure how far you hit te club, and it won't be used as a gps telling you that you are 177 to the pin.. Am I understanding you correctly Erik?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Whoa, you're right!  It's only $200 at Golf Galaxy as well.  (Previously listed at 250)

Now I can get it AND get a few other useless golf items and still pay nothing.

Without useless golf items, there would be no hope in the world! :-D

Ok. Thought about it and Erik is right that the course yardage is irrelevant.. The device is being used to measure how far you hit te club, and it won't be used as a gps telling you that you are 177 to the pin.. Am I understanding you correctly Erik?

I don't want to answer for Erik, but this is definitely not a GPS unit to tell you what you have left, etc. It tracks your shots in a ShotLink type fashion.

- Shane

• Administrator

I don't want to answer for Erik, but this is definitely not a GPS unit to tell you what you have left, etc. It tracks your shots in a ShotLink type fashion.

Bingo.

Like this?

That looks similar to a shot zone. It would really push me over the edge to have this and get shot zones from it. Is this something you are expecting it to do?

Michael