IGNORED

Golf ball advice

Note: This thread is 3452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

this reminds me of a question I had recently.  I was playing with a guy that would hit a distance ball off the tee,  then for the 2nd or 3rd shot,  would change balls to a softer ball.  I told him he should play the same ball throughtout the hole. What do you guys say?

this reminds me of a question I had recently.  I was playing with a guy that would hit a distance ball off the tee,  then for the 2nd or 3rd shot,  would change balls to a softer ball.  I told him he should play the same ball throughtout the hole. What do you guys say?

not only should he play the same ball, he HAS to!!! ok, if he hits it OB, in a lake, provisional, or does anything else with the original than it's another story. but other than that same hole=same ball

@TheKaizer is right.  Rule 15 applies.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since everything else in this game is opposite of what I think, I would like to ask an obvious question. If you used a ball with max action, would it not point out the swing flaw instead of masking it? Would that not be a more illuminating situation that would/should result in faster resolution? Would the end result of this idea be a game with pro characteristics overall, especially the short game?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

That seems like a hacker ball, but I'll still try it. 80% of my drives are straight. I found that my miss hits stayed on the course with that Soft Feel ball but traveled out of bounds with other balls. Looking for a higher end ball that does the same off the driver.

No ball is going to take away those big misses. That is totally your swing.

Some balls do spin less than others, but it wont change the spin axis tilt you put on a ball from a mishit. In the end, every ball can be hooked or sliced.

Since everything else in this game is opposite of what I think, I would like to ask an obvious question. If you used a ball with max action, would it not point out the swing flaw instead of masking it?

I will assume by max action you mean a premium golf ball that can spin back towards you on short iron and wedge shots.

Also the primary difference between premium and non-premium golf balls is the cover. Premium golf balls use Urethane. This interacts more on wedge shots and iron shots. With the driver, the core of the ball is more important. This is why non-premium golf balls spin nearly the same as premium golf balls. The cover has little to do with the spin rate when struck with the driver.

Would that not be a more illuminating situation that would/should result in faster resolution? Would the end result of this idea be a game with pro characteristics overall, especially the short game?

As for this. I have no fricken clue what you are talking about.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As for this. I have no fricken clue what you are talking about.

I think he is saying the more spinny ball will reveal more about what's wrong with a long game ... based on spin;

and playing with a urethane ball will get you accustomed to more spin...

Don't know about either of those ... a high MOI driver will hide faults even if you use a tour ball. I think faults show up, but not to the extreme in a "straighter" ball.

As to the short game aspects, I play around with range balls at the ... um ... range, and hit 10-60 yrd shots, and have no issues with creativity. I think it's more challenging to get one of those balls to stop. But it's always good to throw in your gamer ball when no one else is around the green.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is a bit of both worlds really.

Your looking for a soft feel ball like the proV1

but you would like a less spinning ball what is more like

a game improvement ball.

You should look at youtube the movie when rory and tiger play together

the have a nice conversation about balls and spin.

my personal opinion is that we are not constant enough to notice the difference in amount off spin a ball has after a drive.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

and those balls are for beginners.

So what?

I would be choosing a ball based on how I score, not whether the box tells me it is a beginner or pro ball.

Ignore the branding and choose what plays best.

Same goes for clubs, play what suits you, not what advertising tells you is best

• Upvote 1

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

BELIEVE me when I tell you, Since I started playing when I was 12 ( I am now 49 ) I have just about tried them all in 1 form or another, Me personally kept coming back to the Pro V1 and Pro V1X series.

Because they flat out perform for me .

With other's you will find Bridgestone , Nike ,Srixon, and countless others and for the people that play them they are the perfect ball.

My suggestion is settle on a ball then buy some grade A bals from a website and practice ONLY with the brand you have chosen.

Each brand reacts differently to each person, I am currently playing to a 9 and will be a 1 or 2 this same time next year, Only reason i'm not there now is 4 knee operations on the same knee in 5 years including 2 total replacements and an infection that put me in the hospital for 9 day's ( Yes I am playing the sympathy card and will take all I can get ).

I settled on the Pro V1 series because for me I can rely on 2 things 1) Consistent distance and 2) Work ability around the greens,

IMHO if you can decide on a ball that does those 2 things for you.....You have found your ball.

• 1 month later...

I decided earlier this year that the only tournaments I will ever play in are scrambles. Therefore I decided golf was expensive enough as it is, so I play any cheap ball off the tee (except par 3's) and my Z-stars for the 2nd shot till holing the ball. I play for entertainment purposes only and will play this way in scrambles. I see no need to play an expensive ball off the tee unless I decide I will start playing stroke play events. There is always going to be rules a nazi that takes a stroke and distance penalty on a crowded course on a Saturday morning but I say screw them. I'll get off soapbox...this is getting off topic quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm playing a round for fun (ie nothing on the line), I'll often hit a cheaper ball off the tee if I have a chance to lose it. Then I''ll place my normal ball in it's spot. I tell my partners that I'm going to cheat. If we play for money, then I play golf and that means by the rules. I save a lot of money this way. I have a lot of cheap balls.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If you Woot! they have ProV1 and ProV1x today - for $15.99/doz, refinished.

I've only ever bought used/refinished to settle some stupid bets, not the play them - but if you like them is seems like a decent deal.

http://www.woot.com/offers/titleist-pro-v1-or-v1x-golf-balls12pk-36?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm;_campaign=22cde8f4d8-Daily+Digest+-+20141106+-+Woot&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=0_c5ca76da11-22cde8f4d8-279381206#tracked

Players play, tough players win!

If you Woot! they have ProV1 and ProV1x today - for $15.99/doz, refinished. I've only ever bought used/refinished to settle some stupid bets, not the play them - but if you like them is seems like a decent deal. [URL=http://www.woot.com/offers/titleist-pro-v1-or-v1x-golf-balls12pk-36?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm;_campaign=22cde8f4d8-Daily+Digest+-+20141106+-+Woot&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=0_c5ca76da11-22cde8f4d8-279381206#tracked]http://www.woot.com/offers/titleist-pro-v1-or-v1x-golf-balls12pk-36?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm;_campaign=22cde8f4d8-Daily+Digest+-+20141106+-+Woot&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=0_c5ca76da11-22cde8f4d8-279381206#tracked[/URL]

Really cheap! Too bad I currently have over a years supply. Btw, what kind of bets?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[quote name="Wally Fairway" url="/t/76546/golf-ball-advice/18#post_1072514"]If you Woot! they have ProV1 and ProV1x today - for $15.99/doz, refinished. I've only ever bought used/refinished to settle some stupid bets, not the play them - but if you like them is seems like a decent deal. [URL=http://www.woot.com/offers/titleist-pro-v1-or-v1x-golf-balls12pk-36?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm;_campaign=22cde8f4d8-Daily+Digest+-+20141106+-+Woot&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=0_c5ca76da11-22cde8f4d8-279381206#tracked]http://www.woot.com/offers/titleist-pro-v1-or-v1x-golf-balls12pk-36?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm;_campaign=22cde8f4d8-Daily+Digest+-+20141106+-+Woot&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=0_c5ca76da11-22cde8f4d8-279381206#tracked[/URL]

Really cheap! Too bad I currently have over a years supply. Btw, what kind of bets?[/quote] I cannot resist! How many golfballs are a year supply? Because I hit the ball so far and so accurately I usually need more than 3. What about you?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I cannot resist! How many golfballs are a year supply? Because I hit the ball so far and so accurately I usually need more than 3. What about you?

LOL. I hit so short and straight, that I never lose them. :-D

Okay, I have over 5-6 dozen ProV1/x balls in my garage. Some new in the box, some used, some refurbished. Guessing this is more than a year. They start to get tired looking after 4 rounds or so on my public courses. Then there are the many dozens of non-proV1/X balls.

Last time I was at one of those tough courses, I brought a dozen throw away balls with me for the tee shots and used 2. At Goose Creek, I brought a whole bunch and we ended up hitting them into the water and spraying them all over for fun.

I probably have more than a years supply of balls in my garage. I got used to finding and saving balls for my hitting cage, but have too many at this point (220+).

It seems like every week I play I find 6 balls or more, as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!