IGNORED

Going forward I am starting a shame file. That's me personally.

Shorty
Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, I almost forgot. You no longer contact or call people, you "reach out" to them.

Oh man, all the buzzy versions of simply saying you called or emailed someone bug me too.  Perhaps just because I've got lots of professional (and family) contacts in the tech world, but the one I can't stand is "ping".  Yes, people really use that.  "Sounds good. Ping me."  "Oh, you should ping John."  Seriously.

I guess the users of these would defend them as umbrella terms covering talking in person, on the phone, emailing, texting, IMing, whatever.  But they just sound annoying and buzzy to me.  I could see getting sucked into using "connect" as a catch-all buzz word if it were in heavy use at my place of work.  But shoot me the day I use "ping" to mean anything other than using the ping utility in *nix.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is my understanding that we all strive to leverage our individual competencies in the linguistic arena to add value to the discussions here at the Sand Trap. It this organic, bottom-up approach from all of our valued contributors that makes the site so much more than just the sum of its parts and, ultimately, allows it to literally take flight.

+1 for that!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

+1 for that!

Missed opportunity!

"I, for one, would like to associate myself with Stretch's sentiments in no uncertain terms!"

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Missed opportunity!

"I, for one, would like to associate myself with Stretch's sentiments in no uncertain terms!"

As do I, at this particular point in time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It is my understanding that we all strive to leverage our individual competencies in the linguistic arena to add value to the discussions here at the Sand Trap. It this organic, bottom-up approach from all of our valued contributors that makes the site so much more than just the sum of its parts and, ultimately, allows it to literally take flight.

That was very impactful . :mad:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Oh man, all the buzzy versions of simply saying you called or emailed someone bug me too.  Perhaps just because I've got lots of professional (and family) contacts in the tech world, but the one I can't stand is "ping".  Yes, people really use that.  "Sounds good. Ping me."  "Oh, you should ping John."  Seriously. I guess the users of these would defend them as umbrella terms covering talking in person, on the phone, emailing, texting, IMing, whatever.  But they just sound annoying and buzzy to me.  I could see getting sucked into using "connect" as a catch-all buzz word if it were in heavy use at my place of work.  But shoot me the day I use "ping" to mean anything other than using the ping utility in *nix.

I use ping but only in reference to IM. I think it's appropriate as an IM is, essentially, a "ping". Never heard anyone use it to refer to a call.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I use ping but only in reference to IM. I think it's appropriate as an IM is, essentially, a "ping". Never heard anyone use it to refer to a call.

To be honest I mostly hear it used when the assumption is of electronic communication, usually email.  But I've definitely heard it used many times in a vague sort of sense just as a synonym for communicate with.  Still bugs me!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The most annoying phrase used on this forum is, "having said that."  The poster then proceeds to take the other side of the argument.  Way to commit!! What's wrong with but or however?

I work in Saudi where English is a second language.  Some of the email I get makes the members of this forum look like Ernie Freaking Hemingway.  Here's an email i got yesterday:

Mr. XXX

Please coordinate with Vendor along with contractor to have meeting for discuss above subject.

I don't speak much Arabic and the little I do speak is grammatically horrible.  I applaud all those who are conducting their business in a second language.  I also pay more attention to a well-worded post without the filler phrases, bad grammar, and not-even-close spelling.

Occam's razor

The most annoying phrase used on this forum is, "having said that."  The poster then proceeds to take the other side of the argument.  Way to commit!! What's wrong with but or however?

-Rich

We are having a "significant rain event" at the moment.

I'm pretty sure we used to just call it "heavy rain".

Oh, I almost forgot. You no longer contact or call people, you "reach out" to them.

Well yes, but saying heavy rain would indicate that a cup of rain water that you collect could tip the scales over a cup of not so "heavy rain" that you collected elsewhere.

- Shane

When expressing an opinion on a subject in the form argument supported by facts, it's useful to discuss opposing views and alternate conclusions.  You must acknowledge the opposing view in order to explain why the offered conclusion is more plausible.

Can we add "you're missing my point" to this list?  As frequently used on this forum, the phrase can mean "I disagree," "I lack the logical and reading comprehension skills to understand what you've written," or my personal favorite "I didn't bother reading what you've written, but since you didn't reply with 'I agree with you 100%' then you must still be wrong."

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Can we add "you're missing my point" to this list?

Absolutely.  This almost always means "Huh, you still disagree with me?  Well, that can't be right, so you must not be understanding me" on this forum.  To the point that I'm very, very hesitant to ever use it, even when I think it may be the case.

Here's another one that I use a lot (just used it twice in one post too): "For the record."

I'm writing stuff online that is, unless I delete it within the next 10 minutes or so, going to live forever.  It's ALL "for the record" so there probably isn't any reason for me to add that little tidbit. :-P

Damn boys. :bugout:

Most of the things ya'll hate are the way I talk (and write).

Leaves me 3 choices:

1. Never comment at all.

2. Proof read everything to make sure it suits all members of TST community.

3. To Hell with it. I'll continue writing the way I please.

I think I'll just go with number 3 for now.

Damn boys.

Most of the things ya'll hate are the way I talk (and write).

Leaves me 3 choices:

1. Never comment at all.

2. Proof read everything to make sure it suits all members of TST community.

3. To Hell with it. I'll continue writing the way I please.

I think I'll just go with number 3 for now.

If you read the posts you'll find that it has nothing to do with spelling, typos or self expression.

It's about the follies of adopting ridiculous, meaningless and redundant "business speak".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Last week a coworker said the me, "At the end of the day, it is what it is." I never wanted to slap someone so hard in my life. Another word for the shame file - 'Basically..." Much like "Literally" it is overused and misused. It's word salad croutons, used to fill dead space with noise. Someone said to me once, "He literally swept me off my feet!" I said, with what, a broom? He metaphorically swept you off your feet.

I'm not sure but I don't think that is a metaphor.

I can't stand the replacement of skill with "skill set" when referring to ONE skill. How can one skill be a set?!

I work in an industry full of the not so bright so I often hear in meetings "incedences". When I have to sit through a long BS meeting I now count the occurrences, it helps me cope...

Heard the other day after an interview: "He came up short on the intrinsics."

Translation: "He's a dumbass."

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Heard the other day after an interview: "He came up short on the intrinsics."

Translation: "He's a dumbass."

That's kinda like how, in the South, we say, "Bless your heart."

Translation: "I'm sorry you're so stupid."

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!