IGNORED

Cheaper alternative to Mizuno MP64?

danL
Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to play a lot but haven't for about a decade. I played quite a bit this year and my handicap is dropping again, but as it stands I'm around an 18. I hit a used set of MP64s at the range the other day and I loved them. I had some bad hits, but even slight misses didn't seem to be penalized too badly. The only problem is the price. I've seen some say the MP60s are close, but the design of the back looks quite different. Are there other muscle back designs that aren't brand new?

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I used to play a lot but haven't for about a decade. I played quite a bit this year and my handicap is dropping again, but as it stands I'm around an 18. I hit a used set of MP64s at the range the other day and I loved them. I had some bad hits, but even slight misses didn't seem to be penalized too badly. The only problem is the price. I've seen some say the MP60s are close, but the design of the back looks quite different. Are there other muscle back designs that aren't brand new?

If you want an honest opinion you shouldn't be hitting muscle backs if your playing off a teen handicap. If you want to hit mb's go for it the game is all about fun before anything if you ask me. If you have your heart set on mb's you can get any forged mb and you probably won't notice a dramatic difference. The 714's are out so you can probably find a set of 712's for a decent price. Good luck keep us posted on what you end up with.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I respectfully disagree with the post above, muscle backs (and forged irons in general) today are so much more forgiving than when the whole "blades are for good players only" stigma originated.  I mean, as long as you personally like the clubs, I'd say go for it.  To be honest, playing with irons like those can actually be a great way to improve your ballstriking in the long run because over time it will kind of "train" you to hit a smaller sweet spot consistently.  You could also take a look at the MP68s, they're 2 generations behind the current mizuno full blades (mp4) so you'd probably be able to find some used ones for a good price

I used to play a lot but haven't for about a decade. I played quite a bit this year and my handicap is dropping again, but as it stands I'm around an 18.

I hit a used set of MP64s at the range the other day and I loved them. I had some bad hits, but even slight misses didn't seem to be penalized too badly.

The only problem is the price. I've seen some say the MP60s are close, but the design of the back looks quite different. Are there other muscle back designs that aren't brand new?

@danL ,

e-bay.  You can find them there for a lot less.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

MP-64's are a cavity back, not a muscle back to start.....The obvious choice would be MP 63 or MP 62's as the 64's are just a refinement of these two.  I would say that any companies players cavity back iron should look and play fairly similar...say titleist 710 or 712 CB's, Nike Pro combo's or split cavities, bridgestone j36/38 CB's,

I actually got to hit a set of Titleist AP2 714's at the range as well, I really liked them and didn't really notice any difference between the two except the MP64's seemed a bit heavier.

I see a set of AP2 710's for a good price and I've been researching the differences, but are there any major things I should know about the difference between the two?

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!