IGNORED

Golf Channel Unveiling "Relaxed" Rules Of Golf

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A lot of this seems driven by "how can we get people out on the course?" And because it's on TV, they are going to treat it as a big deal. I look at my father-in-law and can see him watching this and telling the guys in his nine hole league, "why don't we just say people can do this?". Some of these, and things like the 15 inch holes seem silly to people who have played for a long time or have a long established handicap. But there is a group of people this can be targeted at, and if they get out and play more, all the better. More importantly. Can we all agree to have 15 clubs so that I can have my hybrid AND 64 degree lob wedge in my bag at my home course? Focus on the real issue here people.... :-P

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A lot of this seems driven by "how can we get people out on the course?" And because it's on TV, they are going to treat it as a big deal. I look at my father-in-law and can see him watching this and telling the guys in his nine hole league, "why don't we just say people can do this?". Some of these, and things like the 15 inch holes seem silly to people who have played for a long time or have a long established handicap. But there is a group of people this can be targeted at, and if they get out and play more, all the better. More importantly. Can we all agree to have 15 clubs so that I can have my hybrid AND 64 degree lob wedge in my bag at my home course? Focus on the real issue here people.... :-P

Learn not to short-side yourself behind a bunker and you won't need a 64* wedge! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Learn not to short-side yourself behind a bunker and you won't need a 64* wedge! ;-)

But I swear is read a book mentioned on this forum that told me to shoot for the flag all the time. That's why that happens! Did I miss a chapter...? (Ducks)

—Adam

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--golf-stocks-sink-as-interest-in-the-sport-plummets

Golf stocks sink as interest in the sport plummets

Perhaps these new relaxed rules can help the sport. Personally, I am a 7 handicap who walks. I play for the exercise and friendship. I like to play relaxed rules. I play with other higher handicap players who hit bad shots frequently. I tell them to forget that ball and just play another one. As these rules become acceptable for standard recreational play they may help our sport grow and make it more enjoyable. I look forward to our league night adopting these new rules.

In the end, the most important rule and the one that is so hard to teach is #7.

If everyone had #7, they wouldn't even need to think about the other 6.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

But that's the point exactly. None of these golfers knows, cares, or plays by the rules as it is. Therefore there's absolutely no reason to codify another set of rules that will be equally ignored by the vast majority, and will only serve to confuse those who want to transition to real golf at some point.

So your issue is with all the relaxed rules...or just the one on number clubs?

I can see one of the positive byproducts of these rules are 'aha' moments from casual golfers, as in realizing there were even rules to cover these areas to begin with. It's like a gentle way to get them moving towards full compliance with all the rules.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--golf-stocks-sink-as-interest-in-the-sport-plummets

Golf stocks sink as interest in the sport plummets

Perhaps these new relaxed rules can help the sport. Personally, I am a 7 handicap who walks. I play for the exercise and friendship. I like to play relaxed rules. I play with other higher handicap players who hit bad shots frequently. I tell them to forget that ball and just play another one. As these rules become acceptable for standard recreational play they may help our sport grow and make it more enjoyable. I look forward to our league night adopting these new rules.

So, if we change the the current rules which the VAST majority of new players neither understand nor currently play, we will somehow attract more new players.....

Can you walk me through that thought process?

So your issue is with all the relaxed rules...or just the one on number clubs?

My issue is that we don't need a new set of rules for people who don't follow the current set of rules.  They already play the game however they want.  How would a different set of rules affect that, other than to add more confusion and frustration because of the inherent subjectivity of the new "rules" themselves.

I can see one of the positive byproducts of these rules are 'aha' moments from casual golfers, as in realizing there were even rules to cover these areas to begin with. It's like a gentle way to get them moving towards full compliance with all the rules.

I just don't believe that there has ever been a new golfer who began the game without understanding that there are certain rules associated with playing the game.

This whole thing is poorly conceived, and a complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

I saw a brief clip today on Golf Channel, and I was a little surprised that they are advocating posting "relaxed rule" rounds for your handicap.  Hmmm. My previous understanding/assumption was that these rules were for fun rounds, recreational rounds, whatever you want to call it, but never for handicap purposes.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/morning-drive-reaction-relaxed-rules/

Check out the 3:50 mark of this interview with amateurs. Sorry- you gotta sit through a commercial (probably GolfNow).  Did I misunderstand???? I totally missed what Matt G's followup question was regarding the handicap.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I saw a brief clip today on Golf Channel, and I was a little surprised that they are advocating posting "relaxed rule" rounds for your handicap.  Hmmm. My previous understanding/assumption was that these rules were for fun rounds, recreational rounds, whatever you want to call it, but never for handicap purposes.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/morning-drive-reaction-relaxed-rules/

Check out the 3:50 mark of this interview with amateurs. Sorry- you gotta sit through a commercial (probably GolfNow).  Did I misunderstand???? I totally missed what Matt G's followup question was regarding the handicap.

I was invited to go out and play with them at Champions Gate today.  Probably a good thing that I didn't go.  I could have affected my likelihood of ever getting invited to anything cool again! ;-)

I think Matt's point was that amongst buddies, handicaps relative to each other remain the same since they all tend to play by whatever set of rules the group allows.  What he failed to mention, is that anyone playing under a relaxed set of rules and posting scores is going to be at a HUGE disadvantage if they ever decide to play in any kind of net competition where the real rules are required.  In effect, they're reverse sand-baggers......

In David's bag....

The GC/MD segment this AM was flat out odd. They used Damon as an example encouraging him to use the whiffle ball rules so he can break 80. I don't understand why they feel so strongly about it. It seems misguided. If golf is that hard for someone they just need to move the eff up. Play from a distance that gives you a chance to score reasonably well. Key word being score. You accomplish nothing but being considerate to those around you not completing a hole. When you get better move back.

Dave :-)

I was invited to go out and play with them at Champions Gate today.  Probably a good thing that I didn't go.  I could have affected my likelihood of ever getting invited to anything cool again!

I think Matt's point was that amongst buddies, handicaps relative to each other remain the same since they all tend to play by whatever set of rules the group allows.  What he failed to mention, is that anyone playing under a relaxed set of rules and posting scores is going to be at a HUGE disadvantage if they ever decide to play in any kind of net competition where the real rules are required.  In effect, they're reverse sand-baggers......

Ah, I see. I thought the grammar seemed tortured, so I didn't quite grasp where Matt was going with that. That woulda been pretty cool if you made today's event to get a personal look at how things were working at the event, if there was confusion about some "rulings",  and maybe get some more details on things: how exactly do the drops work (always drop on fairway?), do they condone non-comforming clubs/anchored putter for the future, etc.

Seems like they're really patting themselves on the back for this initiative and now occasionally mocking the rules purists a bit for not being "fun" people.  They need to relax a bit on that angle, and just stick to the metaphor of Charlie's that golf is a big open house, and these relaxed rules are just a way to get to the front porch. All are welcome inside the house to where the real rules are invoked, but everyone is allowed to mill about on the porch enjoying a drink and good music too, if they're more comfortable with that.   Start mocking the people inside the house, and it takes on a different tone!

Oh, and I think a real handicap must come from inside the house. No porch handicaps :hmm:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2.    PENALTIES All are 1 stroke, including out-of-bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost balls and unplayable lies. Drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on. - An ego stroking add.  What does 1 stroke really mean?  It is just a number.

I'm sure some of the ego stroking is at play here.  But just to play devil's advocate, I can see some sense in this for beginner/recreational golfers who don't know/care much about the complex rules.  Instead of getting into ill-informed discussions about nearest point of relief or when you're allowed to drop the ball on the line from where you shot to where it ended or when you need to go back and hit from your original spot (of course these golfers aren't hitting provisionals!), and what's one stroke and what's two, just a single easy rule.  If you lose your ball in any way or hit into a thick bramble and can't take a stroke at it or whatever, just drop a new ball pretty close by, add one stroke to your score, and play on.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The GC/MD segment this AM was flat out odd. They used Damon as an example encouraging him to use the whiffle ball rules so he can break 80. I don't understand why they feel so strongly about it. It seems misguided. If golf is that hard for someone they just need to move the eff up. Play from a distance that gives you a chance to score reasonably well. Key word being score. You accomplish nothing but being considerate to those around you not completing a hole. When you get better move back.

Yeah it's plain stupid for anyone hoping to break 80 to use these rules.  It makes some sense to me for players playing in triple digits who aren't trying to get better or really play the full challenging sport but just like hitting the ball around the course and hitting a few good shots per round and hanging with friends.  Less complicated for them and faster pace for the rest of us.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

In the end, the most important rule and the one that is so hard to teach is #7.

If everyone had #7, they wouldn't even need to think about the other 6.

Heuristic techniques for problem solving often give a solution which is not guaranteed to be optimal.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Why not just give him a scorecard and let him write 79 on it?  The really insidious thing about this is that they are looking at breaking 80 as some kind of accomplishment on the order of breaking 80 using the real rules.

Where I used to live there was a nearby executive length course (about 4500 yards, par 65) and when I hadn't played for a while and was starting up I would play at this course until I was able to break 80.  Then I would go back to my regular course and fight hard to break 90.  I would NEVER count one of those rounds on the short course in my personal list of best rounds.  I'd much rather shoot 88 on the full length course than 78 on the executive.

I also find the view of "fun" they promote a little strange.  To me there is tremendous fun in taking on a challenge and doing the best I can.  I do not see the "fun" in cutting corners and taking the easy way out in order to achieve a score I could never "really" shoot.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/relaxed-rules-easing-and-adding-common-sense/

Here goes...

For all who play golf just to have fun, we offer 7 rules to govern all play.

6.    EQUIPMENT No restrictions, including number of clubs.

+1. Most would do better to take out a few clubs. Especially that damn 60* wedge!

Yes - now I can carry my entire wedge set with me (although I may need a separate bag)

Players play, tough players win!

Yes - now I can carry my entire wedge set with me (although I may need a separate bag) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/104469/] [/URL]

Don't make fun, that wedge set is useless! It stops at 61! :-)

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!