IGNORED

Golf Channel Unveiling "Relaxed" Rules Of Golf

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Relaxed rules of golf...

What about playing ready golf? RG dispenses with a lot of time-wasting ceremony. Is ready golf breaking the rules?

There are rules that pertain to order of play during Match Play, and etiquette rules for stroke play.  I don't consider hitting out of turn during stroke play, breaking the rules of golf.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Relaxed rules of golf...

What about playing ready golf? RG dispenses with a lot of time-wasting ceremony. Is ready golf breaking the rules?

There are rules that pertain to order of play during Match Play, and etiquette rules for stroke play.  I don't consider hitting out of turn during stroke play, breaking the rules of golf.

Whether you consider it so or not, you still are breaking the rules.  There just doesn't happen to be a penalty attached to that rule.  The only way I can see it being an issue is if it was somehow done to gain an unfair advantage over another competitor.  Then there are ways that the committee could rule it as a penalty situation, but the penalty would be applied under another rule, such as Rule 1-2.  This would strictly be on a case by case basis, and it would have to be rather extreme.

I am in agreement with you in a general sense, that a player who plays ready golf is to be held up as a role model in casual stroke play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would say that short hitters and long hitters would benefit from more clubs. Guys who hit it average tend to hit driver, 7 iron, putter on every hole and don't need anymore. But long hitters hit anything from 4 iron to driving iron to hybrid to 3 wood to driver off the tee, and can have anything from 10-250 yards in. While guys who hit it short tend to need a variety of long approach clubs and wedges like the big hitters.

While there is nothing stopping anyone from not playing by the rules of golf I like the idea of "relaxed" rules. I really like the OB/Lost balls just dropping at area nearest point last crossed. I think it's plenty penal enough to take a drop and a shot let alone having to go back to last position to replay shot.  I liked on the round table one of the guys was saying the day he goes back to replay a shot from the tee will be the first days he's gone back to the tee.

While there is nothing stopping anyone from not playing by the rules of golf I like the idea of "relaxed" rules. I really like the OB/Lost balls just dropping at area nearest point last crossed. I think it's plenty penal enough to take a drop and a shot let alone having to go back to last position to replay shot.  I liked on the round table one of the guys was saying the day he goes back to replay a shot from the tee will be the first days he's gone back to the tee.

What's stopping anyone from not playing by the rules, i.e. playing by whatever "relaxed" rules they like?

The ignorance of even many avid golfers notwithstanding, there are actually very good reasons and principles behind The Rules as they stand.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think it is odd that they want to relax rules for those that odds are do not follow them anyway. I honestly cannot think of another sport that would change its rules to help introduce new players or make it "easier" for beginners. Every other sport does change the field of play from smaller fields for little league to shorter baskets or half court for young basketball players but keep the core rules in place no matter the level of play.  Golf already has different " fields". They are par three courses or executive courses or even moving up to the forward tees.

There is no need for a second set of rules. If you want to go play some variation of golf with your buddies then great no one is stopping you. Just do not brag about or post the scores as real scores. Golf is the only sport where players police themselves and is the one sport where a less skilled player can compete on a more level playing field by using the handicap system. That system relies on everyone playing by the same set of rules and honestly.

For some of us the relaxed rules as presented stray too far from the intent of the original rules as defined by the R&A; and subsequently the USGA.  However, the rules do not have to be abandoned to incorporate changes that some of us believe correct some of the local conditions that influenced the rules.  For example, the idea that the only hazards are water and sand was true on links courses in the British Isles and made sense.  To some of us it does not make sense for the rest the world.  I can hit the ball into a pond and take a penalty and a drop, but if I hit it into a steep ravine or inpenetrable brush the penalty is stroke and distance.  I do not believe the founders of the game would say that the rule today makes sense for the varied terrains that golf is played on.

Bottom line, while protecting the integrity of the game, there are some rules that can be changed and stay within the spirit and intent of the original game.

I can hit the ball into a pond and take a penalty and a drop, but if I hit it into a steep ravine or inpenetrable brush the penalty is stroke and distance.  I do not believe the founders of the game would say that the rule today makes sense for the varied terrains that golf is played.

I believe the lost ball stroke and distance has been fairly constant since the beginning. Personally water hazards should be treated the same it is lost after all. Same for ob. Treat all three as stroke and distance or none at all.

Bottom line, while protecting the integrity of the game, there are some rules that can be changed and stay within the spirit and intent of the original game.

Bottom line, Decisions are revised every two years and Rules every four.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I believe the lost ball stroke and distance has been fairly constant since the beginning. Personally water hazards should be treated the same it is lost after all. Same for ob. Treat all three as stroke and distance or none at all.

I agree that would be more equitable.

Bottom line, Decisions are revised every two years and Rules every four.

Very true, but challenging the definition of hazards on the golf course as being water and sand only is viewed as altering the integrity of the game by many I have spoken to.

• Administrator

I agree that would be more equitable.

I disagree that they're equitable. You're forbidden from playing from OB, and you're unable to play a lost ball. A ball in a hazard can often be played, and when it's not the most most equitable situation is an unplayable ball, not a ball that you literally can't play (OB/lost).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No doubt I've made some cool par saves playing out of hazards. I think the only reason OB comes up in these relaxed rules is for whatever reason too many fail to play a provisional and spend too much time looking for lost balls. No kidding when the time comes and I declare it strangers look at me like I just spoke in tongues. I don't see how it makes golf any easier or more enjoyable. If I hit one OB and play every other shot on the hole half decent the impact to score is minimal, usually double bogey. A stroke or two here and there hasn't ruined my day yet. The only people I see doing stuff like this don't stand much to gain anyway because their scores are so high. They can't bluff their way from 100 to 80 or whatever with a few bogus drops.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I disagree that they're equitable. You're forbidden from playing from OB, and you're unable to play a lost ball. A ball in a hazard can often be played, and when it's not the most most equitable situation is an unplayable ball, not a ball that you literally can't play (OB/lost).

Then the most equitable thing would be let those that are visible in a hazard be played or deemed unplayable at the player sees fit. The then can take a two club length drop under 28 C. to speed play and make it easier or what ever choice they want under the unplayable ball rule. The problem I have is if the ball is in the middle of the lake or stream it is for all intent and purpose lost or out of bounds. They should treat those circumstances the same way.

• Administrator
Then the most equitable thing would be let those that are visible in a hazard be played or deemed unplayable at the player sees fit. The then can take a two club length drop under 28 C. to speed play and make it easier or what ever choice they want under the unplayable ball rule. The problem I have is if the ball is in the middle of the lake or stream it is for all intent and purpose lost or out of bounds. They should treat those circumstances the same way.

It isn't more similar to being lost or OB.

Its location is known, and as I said, a ball in the middle of a pond four feet under water is closer to "unplayable" than lost/OB.

JMO…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can see your point. Maybe best thing is to make all these unplayable which in all cases they are seeing how one cannot play a lost ball or one that's in a pond or one out of the course boundaries.

• Administrator

I can see your point. Maybe best thing is to make all these unplayable which in all cases they are seeing how one cannot play a lost ball or one that's in a pond or one out of the course boundaries.

You can't make a lost ball unplayable, though, because you literally don't know where it is. :)

You can't make a lost ball unplayable, though, because you literally don't know where it is. :)

lol :) got me there

Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!